help me connecting my roland sk 50 with reason 4

Reaction score
hey there everyone ... i,ve bought a roland sk 50 and i cant get it working with the reason 4 .. i had my last keyboard yamaha 510 connected with it thru midi cable ( serial midi ) ... n it worked completly fine ... but i cant get this roland working ... its connected midi is on from the keyboard ... reason detects the port ie mpu-401 .. but i cant hear the piano sounds ..... please help me out .... :(

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Just checking - are you doing this:

Midi OUT from the Roland to Midi IN on the computer soundcard. Check the midi transmit channel for the Roland is set to the same channel as whatever you've loaded in the Reason rack.

Also - have you an actual MPU-401 connected - it's a very old interface.

Reaction score
thank u for the reply ... yes the midi in of the cable is in midi out of the keyboard and midi out of the cable is in the midi in of the keyboard .... n the seriel port is also conneted properly ... ( also called game port ) .. used the same mechanism in the old keyboard which worked fine ...
BUT YES I THINK IT HAS TO DO SOMETHING WITH THE MIDI CHANNEL TRANSMIT ... I,VE SET THE MIDI TRANSMIT AT 16 .. BUT HAVENT DONE ANYTHIN ON REASON YET ... DUN THINK IT LETS ME USE THE TRANSMIT CHANNEL .. IF IT DDOES , EM NOT AWARE OF THAT ... HELP ME OUT IF U KNOW SOMETHING ELSE ...

Reaction score
Midi transmit channel on the keyboard needs to be the same as the midi receive channel in Reason.

It's like phone numbers - except both people have to dial the same number to talk to each other.

Reaction score
yeah i know but the problem is i cant find the rack in reason where i have to set the channel ... nor in my keyboard ... coz user manual for roland sk 50 is not available on net .. :-( ... help me out

Reaction score
GOLDI5210 .... thank u very much for your concern i really appreiciate it but this manual is in japanese ... i,ve already checked it .... :(

The Y_man

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand what you have got set up..... can you explain very clearly

SK-50 midi out to PC midi in (via MPU401/serial)
SK-50 midi in to PC midi out (via MPU401/serial)

Where are you trying to get the sounds to come from - PC or the SK-50?

i.e.
1. are you playing the SK-50 to make the pc generate sound
or
2. are using a sequencer on PC to make sound come from SK-50

The Y-man

Reaction score
http://www.google.com.pk/imgres?q=m...tbnw=182&start=16&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:16

ye man : this is the cable i am using ... the midi in of the cable is in the midi out of the keyboard and midi out of the cable is in the midi out of the keyboard ... and there is a midi software called " reason " .. i am trying to connect my keyboard to that sofware so i can get the sound from that software ( that reason software ) because its piano sound is very realistic ....
my last keyboard yamaha psr 510 .. i connected it and reason started playing it INTSTANTLY ... the sound from the keyboard would stop and the software would start sounding .... do you get it ? ..
Now this sofware has detected my midi cable ... i.e MPU-401 .. But Reason aint detecting my Keyboard .. Therefore no sounds from reason .. :-(

Reaction score
What i think the problem is .. sk 50 is an old model so its midi channels have to be set manually but its quite complicated ... unlike that yamaha psr 510 which i guess automatically set the midi channels ...

Reaction score
Hi abdullahmi7,

I found a page in UK that sells SK 50 owner manuals; you can email them and ask for the price:

http://www.wdgreenhill.com/index.htm

Then I saw that on the backside (see photo)
of SK 50 is a selector; check if it stands on midi.

spd_2008022704626_b.jpg

I hope this was a little help

goldi5210

Reaction score
Hey Goldi5210 ...
Bro actualy they said they dont ship manuals to asia ...
another bad luck i guess

Reaction score
Y man : even it aint the problem bro .. the problem is that this user manual is in japanese so couldnt get a word .. tried converting it but its way too much old and doesnt support geting converted ... Inshort ? .. i am damned .. :/ :D

The Y_man

Reaction score
Y man : even it aint the problem bro .. the problem is that this user manual is in japanese so couldnt get a word .. tried converting it but its way too much old and doesnt support geting converted ... Inshort ? .. i am damned .. :/ :D

I can read Japanese :p

But the content of that manual is next to useless :(

The Y-man

Reaction score
yeah ? .. then i think it shuould be helpful coz there is a lot writen about midi n settings ... did u read it ? .. figured somethig out ? .

The Y_man

Reaction score
It just has pages of "how midi works", "how to connect your PC", "minus 1 mode (lead voice muted so you can play manually)" etc Nothing on how to set the channels, assigning voices to each channel etc :(

Ask a Question