Help to decide which workstation to choose

Reaction score
Hi, I own a Yamaha S90 and want to buy a second workstation with the following requirements:

- smaller and lighter than the S90 (with non-weighted touch sensitive keys, 6-7 octaves)
- to pair up with the S90 for sharing/swapping sounds with split and layer functions. I would like to play both at gigs.
- storage space for user sounds (external memory slot as well if possible)
- USB or Firewire connection to PC for sound editing with bundled software (if possible)
- a tap tempo function for arpeggio sounds (possibly already on the S90 but haven't got a pedal or figured it out yet!)
- lots of good quality voices
- good functionality / easy to use interface
- High-end professional

Have looked at the Yamaha MM8 - maybe something similar to this but as it's a Yamaha again with Motif sounds, I'm wondering whether it would be better to get another brand like Korg or Roland so I have a greater range of voices? The S90 is quite old so I guess Motif would have moved on after 8 years or so? On my S90 I use the majority of voices - pianos, keyboard, leads, pads, sfx, strings sounds etc.

I have no idea what other brands are like so some direction on this would be very helpful.

Thank you, Diego.

Reaction score
Keep the s90 it sounds good.

If money is not your problem go for the M3. Without a doubt the best overall keyboard at the moment.

If you don't have that much to spend, and you don't need a sampler - go for the M50

Reaction score
Thanks Skipp, the M3 looks amazing and definitely want to try it out.

Had another suggestion elsewhere for the Roland Juno Stage - any experience / thoughts on that one?

I have been reading your articles - very helpful, thank you.

Reaction score
Never tried one, but since (at least where I come from) the M3 costs almost the same as the Juno stage... There really is nothing to think about.

The juno stage (or any juno) can't match the M3

Ask a Question