Help with lessons...

Reaction score
Hi all,

The TL;DR is that I want some suggestions for books or YouTube channels/posters to help me learn keyboard.

About me: I've been playing guitar for 40 years and gigging for over 30. I have a degree in music (audio engineering with a instrument specialization of jazz guitar) and I can read music, I know theory and all the nomenclature. We even had a piano class my freshman year in college (some 30 years ago) although I remember almost none of it.

I have a controller keyboard in my home studio for soft synths and I can bang out most of what I need after some rehearsal runs and a LOT of help with MIDI editing afterward. I can play any chord you ask me to on a keyboard if I think about it for a few seconds first.

But... I want to learn to actually play keyboard now. I'm sort of stuck in a rut with my guitar playing and I want to try something new for awhile to improve my overall musicianship. I'm busy with a day job, family and gigs with the band, but I can dedicate at least an hour per day to keyboard practice.

My favorite music types are old school R&B, Funk, Soul, and straight ahead jazz. Ignoring the jazz for a moment, I'd love to be able to eventually play stuff in the gospel-tinged R&B and Soul vein. I'd also like to be able to do basic comping in a jazz context--learning voicings and so forth while not trying to learn to solo like Red Garland or Chick Corea, etc.

Any suggestions for someone like me who is more less just starting to learn actual keyboard playing but has an otherwise capable musical knowledge for books, video series on YouTube, certain websites, etc.? Any help you folks could give me would be great. Thanks in advance!

Ask a Question