Hey, what's up

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to say hey. Hopefully looking to get some non-biased and non-specific keyboard info. I currently own a Suzuki/Hammond XK3, MKS-20 Roland piano module, Hammond B-3 organ that I no longer move and a Nord Stage 88 that I'm not completely sold on. Was hoping to get some feedback on the Motif XS8 as far as using it as a live axe.

I haven't owned the Nord for long. I don't like the piano sounds which is the main reason I got it. I was pretty happy with the MKS-20 but my controller, a Yamaha KX-88 that has keys that are starting to get real lazy and stick. I took all of the keys out of the KX and greased them and they're still sticking. Maybe I used the wrong lubricant. I do like a lot of the sounds in the Nord and the Fatar keyboard is good for me. I like the action.

As far as the Motif. I know that thing will weigh close to 100 pounds inside the case and I've heard there are some performance issues with changing voices.

Thanks for any feedback on these issues. Looking forward to sharing ideas with you all.

Richard

Reaction score
Hello there,

I own a Motif XS8, and I couldn't have been happier. Using it live is nothing but pure happiness. Enter master mode, and once you have, you can arrange different setups for songs to different buttons.

In other words, when playing live and you need the sounds/splits/layers of the next song, press a button :p
I can't really understand why anyone would have problems changing voices during a live performance, because I sure know that I don't have any problems with that..

And yeah, this keyboard in a hardcase is kind of heavy, but it shouldn't be a problem as long as you get a case with wheels.

Welcome to the forum btw!

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
Well, I own a S90 ES, which for live play, is practically identical to the Motif ES(same hardware minus the samples and sequencer which I don't use anyway). And I do have some issues with switching voices.

Basically, from my experience, switching between what they call different 'programs', causes the hardware to restart all aspects of sound being generated at that time. Now, the master mode does allow you to layer/split 4 voices in pretty much any way that pleases you, which for most songs isn't a problem(every such layer/split setting counts as a program). It seems this is enough for most people, but I currently have 2 songs where I need more than one set of layers and splits to perform live(one has 2 sets, the other has 6), and I need to be able to switch between them seemlessly, which it can't do.

I think it's for this reason why most live keyboardists have multiple keyboards and controllers.

But, I have to note that those two songs are orchestral and have alot of different voices, the latter more so than the former.

But, if you don't intend on trying to imitate an orchestra, you shouldn't have an issue since in the multi mode you can assign 16 voices that can be changed at the touch of a button, and switching between them doesn't cause the sound to be halted, which I use often. The downside is you can only have one voice switched on at a time, and any notes you are sustaining from before the switch. This is because each multi with it's 16 sounds count's as one program.

So, if you don't intend on having lots of layers and splits for playing live, the Motif should do fine. I don't know about the newer motif's like the XS8, since I think mine's sound module is on the same level as the ES8.

And yes, it's heavy :p.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm crazy for the piano sounds in the Motif. I had just heard some comments about the changing program problems which from you guys feedback doesn't really seem to be an issue. I don't think I really need the sequencer but I'm back to getting a keyboard controller. The Nord I own isn't really setup to be a controller.

I probably won't be doing too much orchestra stuff. I'm mostly wanting to upgrade for a piano sound although I have gotten hooked on some of the synth sounds in the Nord. Whenever I change a program like from acoustic piano to clav on the Nord it also changes the program on my MKS-20. You can't assign a midi channel and a patch anywhere in the Nord or control outboard gear manually. It's pretty low on outboard functionality.

Thanks again. Glad I found this forum.

See ya around.
Richard

Reaction score
Oh, just to be clear, when I say orchestra I don't mean the actual orchestal sounds, just the type of complexity of playing multiple voices in one song(which, in this case, and usually, is orchestal). There is nothing wrong with the actual orchestral sounds on their own :p. You'd have the same problem trying to play other sounds in the same fashion.

Like I said, just to be clear. :p

Ask a Question