How can I get the sound out of my Yamaha MM6?

Reaction score
Hi!
I bought a Yamaha MM6. I connected a USB cable from the keyboard to my computer, (Dell 1521, Windows Vista Home Basic, 32 bits AMD Turion), but I could not have sounds from my keyboard. My computer did not supported the driver. I asked for help to a Yamaha technician who told me that the dirver was not necessary, and what I should do was to buy a midi cable to connect from my keyboard to my interface( Audiobox USB, Presonus), but still I have the same problem. I also bought a Fast Track Pro (a M.Audio interface), because I was told it is a better than my Audiobox, but I could not download properly the driver, impossible.My hope is to find people who can help me. This Yamaha MM6 makes me nuts!!
Unicorniomarino.
Thanks a lot, Keyboardforums.com for giving me this opportunity to ask my question!

Reaction score
When you say that you want "sounds from your keyboard", do you mean that you want the keyboard sounds, like e.g if you select a Piano sound on your keyboard, you want the computer to record the Piano sounds you're playing (better known as Audio recording)?
Or do you simply mean that you want your to play on your keyboard, but get the sounds from your computer?

For your information, a USB cable transfers MIDI ONLY, you will not be able to record Audio signals using a USB cable. If you want to record audio, you could use an adapter (I bought one for about €3, so it's not really a big investment ^^) and simply connect your a cable from your Headphone jack on your keyboard, to your computer.

Reaction score
Hi!
I bought a Yamaha MM6. This Yamaha MM6 makes me nuts!!

Hi! I have a MM6 too. Well I assume you must be a newbie like I was, because the MM6 is a newbie/budget instrument. I didn't know squat when I bought it!! In fact it was appealing to me because it seemed so much simpler to use than some of the other models out there.

I'm not sure why you can't get sound from it, so I'll try to provide some input. Of course you can't get audio from it all by itself like you can with a cheap PSR or $99 Casio because it doesn't have its own internal speakers, you have to hook it up to an amp.

As far as playing out the computer: if you are playing MIDI, I believe you would need some kind of MIDI software (or hardware) that provides MIDI instruments. To play MIDI, I use a software program like Reason and select MIDI tracks, then I have to assign an instrument. Meanwhile I also have to go to the Edit or Utility button on the keyboard (I forget which) and turn off Local and turn on 'PC' so the local sound engine is off. The sound will now be coming out of your audio interface on the computer.

Alternately you could be talking about why you sometimes get no sound when you are trying to record in, say, Cubase. Possibly you are having a soundcard problem. I constantly have to go into Edit and Preferences menus and reset my audio source so that it lists my soundcard/interface instead of some other one. These new computers are really stupid! I also had to reinstall my audio soundcard driver.

So there are Numerous reasons for not getting sound. Welcome to the frustrating world of Audio!:confused::(

Ask a Question