Instrument Definitions File Location

Reaction score
I've asked Cakewalk Tech and Cake's forum, but have had no reply. My sound module is the Ketron SD2 Orchestral Wizard. Online I found instrument definitions for it, imported them into Cake, then completely edited each of the 500+ patch names so that they begin with alpha-numeric codes. All acoustic guitars, for instance, begin with a1 followed by the default name, all electric bass are b2, synth bass b3, pads are d1, brass are e2, etc. This lets me consecutively hear all the options for a given timbre rather than searching each bank-patch, which takes forever.

My problem:
I need to know where the edits are stored so that when I transfer to a new computer, I do not lose them. The .ins file which I downloaded does not reflect my edits. I have found no folder on my C: drive that has the data. Strangely, in having an issue with Cake, I reinstalled it, assuming I would lose the edits, but I didn't. When selecting a patch, my names were still there. Could it be in the Ketron unit? Surely not, otherwise I would not have had to originally download the definitions. So WHERE IS THAT FILE?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
When you import an INS file into Cakewalk, I presume it becomes written into a system DLL somewhere that is not user accessible.

If you made the edits in Cakewalk I assume you are screwed unless there's an export function somewhere.

Otherwise if you made the original edits in a TXT INS file and if you still remember the filename you originally used it should be searchable with Windows Explorer.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't know what SONAR does with any instrument patch lists when you import them, but I agree with Gary-- you should edit the original .INS file. If you haven't moved everything over to a different computer yet and your edits are still visible in SONAR, can you display the patch lists in SONAR to help you make the same edits in the .INS file? I know that's doing the job twice when you've already done it once, but I don't know if there's any other option if none of the files on your system are showing the changes that you made to the patch lists.

Just to be certain, did you search the entire hard drive and all directories and subdirectories on it, including hidden directories and system directories? And did you search the contents of files?

One other suggestion would be to make another edit to the patch list in SONAR, save it, and then exit SONAR completely. Then search for all files that were modified between the time when you made the new edit and the time when you shut down SONAR. That might help you identify which file and directory the information is in.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One other thing.

By default, Cakewalk stores its INS files in a system directory.

Specifically Program Files/Cakewalk/

And by default this is hidden as a system file in Windows Exploder

Make certain your Explorer is set to view hidden and system files.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question