Introduction

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am an active musician looking for some advice about live sound for my set up. I have multiple keyboards and samplers, drum machines, etc. If anyone has any ideas, don't be a stranger.

Reaction score
I have a Korg MS 2000, a modified Casio SK1, and an introduction level Yamaha keyboard that does okay for piano and electric piano capabilities. I also have an early nineties analog sampler and a Korg Electribe Music Production Station. I am trying to find something that is going to be able to handle all of that in a live setting. My current set up is crap.

Reaction score
Welcome!

What do you mean by "something that is going to be able to handle all of that in a live setting?" Do you mean you want one keyboard that will produce most/all of the sounds you're using on those various pieces of gear?

Reaction score
I need something to push all of my equipment live (i.e.-a PA or amp that can make all of my instruments sound good live instead of like crap, which is my current set up.) Thanks to all in advance that can help me on this one.

Reaction score
You've got a couple options. You can either get an amp with enough input channels to support everything and with at least one output channel to get the sound back to the main mixer, or you can get a mixer and run the final mixer output into your amp and into the main mixer.

The kind of amp you get depends on how much gear you have and how many outputs you use. Honestly, if you're using more than about two outputs, and with the amount of gear you seem to have, you probably are, I wouldn't even try looking for an amp with a ton of inputs. I'm not sure they even exist. Mine (Roland KC-350) has 4 channels, although one doesn't get played from the amp's output, so I can use it for a click track. Basically, I can connect up to 3 outputs from my gear; with two keyboards, that's all I need. There are other amps that support a few channels; your best bet is to go to a music store and try out a few on the same keyboard.

As for using a submixer (the term for using a secondary mixer for some of the parts that are played through the house speakers), there's a ton of choices. You'll have to try out brands or go to a music store for advice, but you've generally got two types of mixers: some are either rackmount (if they're really small) or are built like an amp (well protected case, the control surface is vertical, not horizontal) and can take up space in a rack or sit on top of an amp, and some are smaller ones designed to be used on a desktop (or, if the top of your amp is large enough and flat, that would work too). What you go for depends on cost and on your setup: you may not want your amp right beside you (many people like it behind them) but you'll almost certainly want the mixer right beside you so you can make small adjustments during the gig. If you have a rack mount or amp-like mixer, you could have the rack in front of you or find something to put your mixer on so you can reach it without it being in the way and still have your amp behind you. With a desktop mixer, you need the flat surface.

Reaction score
Welcome!
Kanthos hit the main concepts, but this is one of those questions that may have a differetn answer for every player.
THere are many, many ways you can customize your stage rig, depending on what you want to accomplish.
Are you performing solo, with a band, or other? Are you only looking to manage your stage sound, send to a larger PA with a sound engineer? Are you trying to carry the keyboards to room with you stage amp? etc.

I recenlty listened to a solo keyboardist in a medium sized bar, and he was using
powered JBL PA speakers on stands. They did a prety good job for his purpose.
B

Ask a Question