Keyboard monitors for stage

Reaction score
Hearing my keyboard at the desired volume while playing on stage with bands has always been a challenge. I am generally plugged into the board, so I am dependent on the band monitors to hear myself, which generally doesn't work all that well. I was thinking that I might get a pair of speakers to use just for my keyboard- I would plug into my speakers with my 1/4 inch outs and into the board with my XLR outs. I just have one keyboard- a Yamaha YC 73. I was thinking about a pair of studio monitors. I was hoping that a pair of 5 inch monitors might work since I want them to be light and not take up much space on the stage. I don't generally play in large venues. I wrote an agent at one of the large online sellers, and they thought that 5 inch speakers would not deliver enough volume for live performances. I have a Yamaha MG06 6 channel mixer to boost the volume if necessary. I also have a pair of QSC K8s, which I would prefer to not use for this purpose because of their weight and size. I'm not a young man anymore, and my back is not as strong as it used to be. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about monitoring for their keyboard(s) in live performances. Thanks

Reaction score
Monitoring any instrument or vocals can be a challenge depending on the venue. I think the monitor speakers are a good idea - though more importantly is how you set them up. The bigger the stage, the better the spread of sound usually. A lot of times the keyboardist is a good distance away from the rest of the band - this helps for equalization of sound - also, the most important part is the sound check. We used to take photos of stage positioning and mixer / amp settings at the different venues - because they can differ greatly - and makes setting up the next time faster.

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I'm looking into the in ear monitors and the Bose S1 pro+, and I appreciate the insight on stage setup. I'm always amazed as how much the space affects the quality of the sound. The Bose and Sennhiser both look like good options, but they are a little more than I wanted to spend. But, I might go for it anyway. I was also considering the Roland CM 30 Cube. Probably wouldn't have the sound quality of the two suggested options, but it's a little more in the price range that I wanted. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Bose has been good to me. I even used the Bose S1 pro one time as a main, in a hall of around 150 guests. Powering my Korg PA3x with vocals. I do not have the upgraded version with wireless audio, but sure could use it now, as I have to run an audio cable from my mixer using it as a remote in an outdoor event. But it is powered with a battery and lasts the gig on a charge. Save at least a power cable. Good luck on your decision. I would try your options at a local music store. As most of these items are on display.

Reaction score
As the use you want to use them for is local monitoring I think the Agent has the wrong end of the stick and made a comment based on you supplying the amplification for the venue

I have a pair of Yamaha HS5 powered monitors, they are 11.7 pounds and have a 70W output. Price is c£300 but there mare many others in this price range and below, JBL, QSC, KRK, PreSonus that could also fit the bill.

I have heard a pair of HS8 in a concert environment and they more than filled the Church Hall venue but these are far more exensive.

A Yamaha Stagepas 400 is owned by an organisation that I am part of and it is used in another Large Hall and fills the venue.

I buy a set at your budget from a 30 day free return supplier just prior to a concert and give them a go

Reaction score
I use a Behringer B105D to monitor my keyboards. https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-an...05D-5-Portable-PA-Speaker-with-Bluetooth/36IY I have a column keyboard stand with a mic attachment on the top, and I put the monitor on that (mine came with a mounting spike to enable this). It's small and light - the sound is maybe not the greatest, but it lets me hear myself, and I can control the volume easily as it's right in front of me.

Reaction score
There are so many ways you could go here, I'll try to say what has worked for me. I have tried many set ups, but as you mentioned, as we age, weight (or lack of it), becomes a critical factor. I have been using a Behringer B210 D for about seven years now. It is a 200 watt powered cab with a 10" speaker and horn. The beauty of this speaker for my set up is that I can set this speaker behind me on my rolling cart that carries all my cords and accessories. I place it 5 to 6 feet behind me and off to the side, and this thing can rip your head off if you need it to. Bass, treble control and volume on the back, that's really all I need to control my sound on stage. I know that there are other newer products, Alto Professional has some extremely light and powerful speakers now, I think Behringer makes a newer 300 watt powered monitor with a 10" inch speaker that weighs just under 17 pounds. I really can't recommend anything else because the Behringer B210 D has worked so well for me I haven't had the need to try anything else! The speaker sells for $200.00 and weighs just under 19 pounds, so it's very easy to haul around, and this thing is extremely road worthy as I have beat it up for quite awhile and it still works flawlessly every night. One more thing, i am not a huge fan of all Behringer products, I've had some duds from them in the past, but this thing is an absolute workhorse.

Reaction score
Hearing my keyboard at the desired volume while playing on stage with bands has always been a challenge. I am generally plugged into the board, so I am dependent on the band monitors to hear myself, which generally doesn't work all that well. I was thinking that I might get a pair of speakers to use just for my keyboard- I would plug into my speakers with my 1/4 inch outs and into the board with my XLR outs. I just have one keyboard- a Yamaha YC 73. I was thinking about a pair of studio monitors. I was hoping that a pair of 5 inch monitors might work since I want them to be light and not take up much space on the stage. I don't generally play in large venues. I wrote an agent at one of the large online sellers, and they thought that 5 inch speakers would not deliver enough volume for live performances. I have a Yamaha MG06 6 channel mixer to boost the volume if necessary. I also have a pair of QSC K8s, which I would prefer to not use for this purpose because of their weight and size. I'm not a young man anymore, and my back is not as strong as it used to be. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about monitoring for their keyboard(s) in live performances. Thanks

I use a Motion Sound KP408S stereo amp - which Motion Sound has now replaced with the KP408SX:

...at 40 lbs. it's not too heavy and only 1 piece to carry or transport on a cart. I have it sitting high up on a metal waiter's tray stand, which puts it nicely at ear level behind me.

I also have QSC K8's - usually use them for stage (vocal) monitors for the band. But on some gigs where I don't have to supply the PA system, I use the 2 QSC K8's at my feet (angled upward) as keyboard monitors, running my Kurzweil PC4 through a small mixer, which is connected to the K8's.

The QSC K8's sound even better to me than the Motion Sound K408S - and they are only 27 lbs. each. But to get the true stereo effect, you need both of them & then you're carrying 54 lbs. altogether.

Reaction score
There are so many ways you could go here, I'll try to say what has worked for me. I have tried many set ups, but as you mentioned, as we age, weight (or lack of it), becomes a critical factor. I have been using a Behringer B210 D for about seven years now. It is a 200 watt powered cab with a 10" speaker and horn. The beauty of this speaker for my set up is that I can set this speaker behind me on my rolling cart that carries all my cords and accessories. I place it 5 to 6 feet behind me and off to the side, and this thing can rip your head off if you need it to. Bass, treble control and volume on the back, that's really all I need to control my sound on stage. I know that there are other newer products, Alto Professional has some extremely light and powerful speakers now, I think Behringer makes a newer 300 watt powered monitor with a 10" inch speaker that weighs just under 17 pounds. I really can't recommend anything else because the Behringer B210 D has worked so well for me I haven't had the need to try anything else! The speaker sells for $200.00 and weighs just under 19 pounds, so it's very easy to haul around, and this thing is extremely road worthy as I have beat it up for quite awhile and it still works flawlessly every night. One more thing, i am not a huge fan of all Behringer products, I've had some duds from them in the past, but this thing is an absolute workhorse.
Behringer makes great products - Xenyx mixers are great - XM8500 mic is comparable to the Shure SM58 at 1/5 the price. Best bargain though is their B1 condensor - with some post-production tweaking that mic can sound as good as the Neumann U47.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have a Behringer 45 watt keyboard amp that runs like a clockwork, but I've scrapped 2 Behringer mixers over bad channels.

An 8 and a 10 channel model.

Nowadays I swear by Mackie for mixers.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And that Behringer Amp was built 25 years ago.

It remains to be seen if their amps still function with the same quality.

All these stories about Behringer products?

There's more than a glimmer of truth there.

I just remembered a Rotary Organ Pedal I bought from Behringer a Quarter Century ago. The piece of plastic junk simply broke in half after a year or so of use.

But on the other hand a similarly ancient DI Box has functioned perfectly to this day.

Most of the stories I hear about the robustness of Behringer Amps these days involve amps that were built years, even decades ago.

Terra incognita...

Venture forth with extreme caution...

Nowadays it's a very rainy day in the nuthouse if I'm willing to spend any coin on any particular Behringer product.

Actually there's a Canadian brand called Monoprice that makes generic, black box MIDI gear that I swear by these days.

I've bought a subwoofer system from them and a Basic 49 key MIDI controller which compares favourably to other big name controllers selling at triple the price. I've also purchased other odds and ends from these guys over the years and never ended up disappointed.

That's my $0.02 :)

Gary ;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question