Keyboards for a Marching Band

Reaction score
I am an instructor for the area high school a marching band, and the director is interested in adding up to two electronic keyboards (they would play on the front sideline). He does not yet own any keyboards and asked me for recommendations. I've played for years, but as far as equipment goes, I'm not the most experienced.

His primary want from any keyboard is a epic film-like string setting, and other staples that follow: synth, bass, piano...

I play on a Yamaha MoxF8, so I am familiar with purchasing sound libraries and loading them on to the keyboard. Are there any cheaper pieces of equipment that will do this ($100-500)? If not, I was thinking buying two Midi controllers, but that would also yield the investment of computers and software (I think in all cases, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all I presume the keyboards will be stationary on the sidelines of a stadium and not expected to be moved, correct? I'm also assuming you'll be plugging into the Stadium's PA system and using that for output?

If so a sub $500 budget is not much to work with. Yamaha PSR-e433 sells around $300 to $400 for one unit and it won't sound quite as "epic" as your MOX.

The PSR also doesn't allow for loading samples onto it so that what you bought is pretty much what you got.

It's also 61 velocity sensitive non weighted keys so forget about finding a true piano feel for that budget.

You can pretty easily audition one in any music store to see if the sound suits you or not.

If you're looking for epic sounds though, with that budget, you might try looking around on ebay or craigslist for a used Korg Triton LE or Yamaha Motif or Roland Keyboard with more professional features for about the same money.

Keyboards are like cars. They devalue by 40% the second you drive them off of the lot.

If you're working with an educator's budget then you want to save every penny possible and be certain you maximize your bang for the buck.

Used market is the way to go in this case.

Gary

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. Yes, the keyboards would be stationary and would be plugged into a sound system. Okay, I am familiar with the PSR, thanks for the recommendation! I have been looking around in the used market for the very reason. I will keep looking.

Ask a Question