Lightweight keyboard recommendations?

Reaction score
I'm after something very light but with as many keys as possible - not necessarily the full 88 but enough to play properly. I haven't decided whether to prioritise sounds in the keyboard itself or use an outboard laptop and just connect with MIDI.

Help please! I'm in London UK.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Very light, Korg Kross 2 with 61 keys.

MIDI keyboard controller, checkout the Arturia Keylab Essential and the Novation Launchkey, they both come in a variety sizes.

As you are in London there are many Music Stores hence once you have a shortlist a visit to a store to try before you buy will be of great benefit.

You will probably get a few more options suggested if you can expand upon your actual requirements.

Reaction score
I don't know which way to go here. Need 61 keys or 76 and weighted. A pitch bender/controller would be good. But not sure whether the various sounds should be in the keyboard, outboard in a box, or whether I should connect to a MacBook. I want something I can take to rehearsals in one journey up and down stairs, like carry in a bag on my back. Some clarification of this would be very helpful.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Roland Juno DS. Available in 61, 76 and 88 key versions. 88 Key version weighted hammer action. Smaller versions Synth weighted diving board keys.

Includes Vocoder and Sampling Capability and Programmable Step Sequencer for accompaniment..

Retails between $700 and $1000 USD depending on model.

61 and 76 key models considerably lighter than the 88 weighted key version.

Best bang for the buck on the market today.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Weight of the 61 key versions are:-

Korg Kross 2 is 8.4 lbs.

Roland Juno DS is 11.7 lbs.

I bought my Korg after playing both side by side, to me there was not much difference in sound quality but the Korg has a considerably smaller size and is way lighter. This was the only reason I choose the Korg, so I can easily transport it.

Either will do the job for you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, ANYTHING with weighted keys will DOUBLE the weight of the keyboard at the very least.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'm after something very light but with as many keys as possible - not necessarily the full 88
But if you can get the full 88, so much the better? Numa Compact 2 or 2X... with 2X being stronger if/when you take the laptop route, since it adds 9 MIDI-definable sliders. Also, compared to the Kross and Juno DS mentioned, the keys feel much better for piano (though still not as good as a hammer action), plus it gives you aftertouch which is a nice bonus.

As mentioned, any hammer (fully weighted) board will be noticeably heavier. Lightest is probably Yamaha P121.

Reaction score
Definately consider all those we have collectively suggested, in oarticular Scott’s does look like it has potential.

Actually after a bit of searching where I was going to suggest a specific make and model I found that Roland have released an 88 key version of their highly portable Go series.

Check out

It weight 15 1/2 lbs and is complete with inbuilt amp and speakers.

A similar 61 key version is available at 8 lbs 10 ounce in weight.

There are the GoPiano and GoKeys in the range and yes, I have played both and like them.

Btw, the company who made the above video is in the UK and they do a great number of these vids for many different instruments and all are well put together.

Reaction score
if you can live without weighted keys, the roland fa07. very light, quality sounds, 76 keys once you go weighted it gets heavy.

Reaction score
I'm after something very light but with as many keys as possible - not necessarily the full 88 but enough to play properly. I haven't decided whether to prioritise sounds in the keyboard itself or use an outboard laptop and just connect with MIDI.

Hello Paul,
I have no hesitation in recommending the Yamaha piaggero NP V-80 I am disabled professional musician and I have opted to forgo a weighted keyboard for a graded spring action 74 key unit. It is the lightest keyboard available at approx. 3ks Unfortunately they have now stopped making them but if you can find a second hand keyboard it will make your day. It has extensive voicing and rhythm sequencing - it has 8 banks of 4 registrations for programming and can be saved to USB storage. It plays midi files and is fully adjustable tuning. If you would like more information send email.
Cheers
Brian

Reaction score
Over the many years I have played I have changed keyboards countless times. In particular in the last few years lighter has become better. Anyway, I have gone to a Roland FA08 as my piano/bottom keyboard. I like it a lot, but it isn't really as light as some others. A year or so ago I say a Roland VR09 that someone else was playing and I fell in love with it's ease of operation. Now I have it on top of my usual setup over the fa08 and have found more and more often that I can get by with it alone. I had a Juno which someone else mentioned a few years back and while I liked the sounds I hated the keys. The VR09 has much better keys than the other Roland 61 key models. YMMV

Reaction score

Roland Juno DS. Available in 61, 76 and 88 key versions. 88 Key version weighted hammer action. Smaller versions Synth weighted diving board keys.

Includes Vocoder and Sampling Capability and Programmable Step Sequencer for accompaniment..

Retails between $700 and $1000 USD depending on model.

61 and 76 key models considerably lighter than the 88 weighted key version.

Best bang for the buck on the market today.

Gary ;)
I couldn't agree more with Gary. I had an old Korg 01W that weighed over 30 lbs. and when my band set up I had to stand around and wait for one of the guys to put it on the stand for me. Now I can pick up my eleven-pound DS61 with one hand, and when it's in its case I can carry it like a backpack. No internal sound, but at home I just connect it to my portable boom box using the EXT jack. MIDI capable too, and I'm very happy with the sounds. The onboard bank and one additional pack (free from Roaldn) do it for most of my British Invasion requirements. Good luck with your quest!

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my M-Audio Code 61. I midi vintage sound modules with it. Light weight and nice touch.
My Fatar 88 key is for powerlifters.

Reaction score
I notice that nobody seems to have recommended the Roland FA-06 ...... everybody is hung-up on 88 keys, but all 88-key instruments will be heavier than 61 key instruments.

What is this romantic attachment to 88-keys ? ..... for most of my life (except when I was learning music formally as a child on a genuine piano) I have played on 61 keys...... starting with a Yamaha YC-20 combo organ in 1975 in my first band..... and never found it a limitation.

Check out my Youtube channel for loads of great videos on the Roland FA-06 ...... and then make an informed purchase.

Last edited:

Ask a Question