Looking for a keyboard

Reaction score
Hey,
I was planning to upgrade my guitar amplifier but decided to get a keyboard instead.
I'm a solo musician who plays mostly anything you can imagine. This ranges from Lamb of God metal to Stevie Ray Vaughan blues to Snoop Dogg's rap.
I would love to create drum and bass tracks, fiddle around synth sounds (Pink Floyd style) and make better music.
My budget is 1500 euros. I'm willing to go second hand.
I can see a second hand G6 Roland on eBay with a flight case (It's near me, so I can check it of course). Would that be something good to consider?

The Y_man

Reaction score
Hey, What do you mean if I play keyboard now? I know basic music theory etc. but I did use Akai MPCs before.

I think what YeahDolt might be alluding to is that the Fantom G6 is a "flagship" model with all the bells and whistles - and if you haven't played around much with synths and arrangers before, you might either be overwhelmed with the sheer amount of technology and/or never use it to even a fraction of its capability..... kinda like giving a USA Fender Strat with a Mesa Boogie Mark V head and matching Recto Cab to someone who has just started learning guitar.... nothing wrong per se, but you may not appreciate what you have and really make full use of it.

And unlike Guitars and tube amps, keyboards generally don't age gracefully, and parts can become difficult to come by in later years.

The Y-man

Reaction score
I think what YeahDolt might be alluding to is that the Fantom G6 is a "flagship" model with all the bells and whistles - and if you haven't played around much with synths and arrangers before, you might either be overwhelmed with the sheer amount of technology and/or never use it to even a fraction of its capability..... kinda like giving a USA Fender Strat with a Mesa Boogie Mark V head and matching Recto Cab to someone who has just started learning guitar.... nothing wrong per se, but you may not appreciate what you have and really make full use of it.

And unlike Guitars and tube amps, keyboards generally don't age gracefully, and parts can become difficult to come by in later years.

The Y-man
Thanks for the quick reply. I tend to spend loads of money on stuff even if I am new to them, I'd rather get something good that lasts for a couple of years rather than thinking 'wish I bought that one instead'. As an owner of Mark V, sure a newbie can get confused but it will last him for ages. I'm looking at creating drum and bass tracks and playing simple Floyd style backing tracks, also be able to record without a computer DAW. I own Logic express for recording, I'd like to be able to use the Fantom's MIDI output to control the logic and also create my own stuff. Would that be a great idea? As for pace of learning, I'm a super quick musical learner. Technically speaking, I can play almost anything thrown at me and I don't play for that long either. My instruments are guitar, bass and drums but I cannot record drums at home nor do I have enough space. I need something which sounds excellent in terms of bass and drums. That's why I'm looking at the flagship.

I would love to get a Kronos but this is the only thing that is in my budget. I found a Roland G6 inclusive flight case and a 512mb (I know they almost cost nothing, but just giving you info) for 1490 euros. Would that be a good deal? The thing is in mint condition.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, what I am looking forward to do is to hook up my guitar to Boss GT10 and record songs straight from GT10 through a 1/4 output jack. My question would be, is there any way I can connect the GT10 both to speaker and to Fantom at same time? The GT10 has dual output, mono and right. Would it work if I connect the roland to the right output and plug the left in my powered PA monitors?

The Y_man

Reaction score
EDIT: Forgot to mention, what I am looking forward to do is to hook up my guitar to Boss GT10 and record songs straight from GT10 through a 1/4 output jack. My question would be, is there any way I can connect the GT10 both to speaker and to Fantom at same time? The GT10 has dual output, mono and right. Would it work if I connect the roland to the right output and plug the left in my powered PA monitors?

Probably not a great idea - I suspect the GT10 has stereo outputs on some effects - eg chorus etc? - so having only one side can have some wierd phasing effects.

Guitar > GT10 > Boogie > mic > Fantom (or any other recorder) :)

The Y-man

Reaction score
Sounds good enough. So, you think the Fantom is a good device for my purposes? That seals my deal. I'll go and pick the keyboard up tomorrow. Do you guys post NKDs in this forums?

Reaction score
On guitar forums there is something called NGD, standing for New Guitar Day. People post a small review and pics of new gear they get. Variations include NA(amp)D.

Reaction score
On guitar forums there is something called NGD, standing for New Guitar Day. People post a small review and pics of new gear they get. Variations include NA(amp)D.
Thanks Omid.
I think it's quite okay to write your experiences about your new instrument.

Reaction score
I had stopped-in to day to see if Y-man had sent me a mesaje about digitizing keyboard voisez, but not knowing how to do a proper check, I desided to not get involved further & insted, request thu Y-man to giv me a holler via my internet adress, , archieATolivecandlevoiceDOTcom that would be much pleezing to me.

Reaction score
Omid: Whether my sujesjun would be available to yoo, I don't know BUT, , becuz it could avail yoo uv sum real euro saverz, I reckoned I'd mention it to yoo. It's an advertisment site that lists everything a person could be looking for and most often at a vairy afordable prise and prezently, thair are sum vairy atractiv Keyboard dealz on it. So, I sujest yoo giv it a try; about three quarterz uv thu way down in thu top, left-hand column, yoo'll see thu title for "musical instruments" that containz more than a hundred pajez. Key-into yor adres bar: Kijiji & pres enter . . .It waz begun by an Australian & now iz thu larjest uv its kind in most major nationz. Hope it works for yoo.

Reaction score
Omid: Responding to yor thots on keyboard music compozition, , on behalf uv Ezra Sohf, thu recording artist I do all thu compozing & aranging for, having researched ALL keyboard brandz & discuverd Yamaha to be many timez superior in virtualy all aspects, including suport & maintenans for up to 20 yearz, plus periferal software availability, etc., I then purchased a Tyros-3 with thu Model name uv PSR-900, thu foreruner uv Tyros-3 but with one less, seldom ever dezired feature & since hav obtained thu disk uv 20,000 aditional Rythm-Stylez and Drum Kits, 'cuz this unit permits the on-screen taking apart & re-asembly uv drum kits, & a direct conect to my on-computer Steinburg-Studio that the orijinal prise uv waz over 1100$, that since up-grading I'll now sell for about 110$. I've mentioned whut I've dun, 'cuz I've spent 100'z uv hourz re-searching thu potential uv all the utherz, and that incloodz Roland & Korg. Thu makerz uv Yamaha & Korg were budeez that shared thair technology ideaz, 'til Korg branched-off about 20yrz ago, 'cuz uv preferentialy focusing on $ returnz, insted uv an end-rezult market impression sustainability that Yamahah now haz in many feildz, in adition to Keyboardz. Since my PSR-900 purchas 3 yearz ago, I've obtained a few hundred aditional VST voicez that like az thu Rythm Stylz, retain instant compatibility with all uv my 5 Yamahah keyboardz that each uv haz at least 1 dezirable atribute that nun uv the utherz haz, not even thu Tyros. Understandably, az soon az Yamahah or any keyboard maker markets one with ALL uv a professional compozer'z & arranger'z requirements, future potential for prezentation uv more variety no longer exists. Granted, "I'd" prefer that, but having built hiz keyboard empire, Yamaha haz a prefered market share to sustain while yet satisfying many uther consumer "taste" perspectivz. YOR spesific intent & purpose, "I" think will be beter served "if" atended to az "YOO" deem most apropriate, regardles uv "our" opinyunz, 'cuz ecsept yoo pleez thu guy in thu glas, he'll haunt yoo about it later, and a few euroz learning curv wil provide a beter end-rezult foundation for over-all satisfaction uv whut yoo've acomplished, than can be obtained on uther'z opinyunz. We all hav diferent tastes & perspectivz & end-rezult goalz that ownly SOME uv UTHER'z advise can benefit yoo in, over-all. Don't 4get to Up-Date us. <> Me, "Archie" iz yet hoping for help on how to obtain or build an interface between a standard floppy drive & a PSRSQ16 Yamaha Keyboard that haz a belt-drive 4 which often needed replacements cost upwardz uv 25$, plus I be hoping "thu Y-man" will share with me hiz superior knowledje conserning VST keyboard voice digitizing.

Reaction score
I am sorry, English is not my first language, but I have difficulties to understand yours Archie. Are you using a translator perhaps?
DickR- MY GENuine apology to you sir. It appears you are experiensing a first instans uv Hairitaje Inglish, that which most Canadianz yooz / use becuz most uv us are nearly totally iliterate in Prescriptive English, becuz about forty yearz ago, the CDN gov't banned fonics clas az no longer being nesesairy in our schoolz & sins then, ownly thu previous generations have known how to sound-out wordz, while the entirety of the new generations have been compelled to learn reading and writing by memory; in other words, they all memorize the spelling by the appearance -OR- instead, they adopt Hairitaje Inglish which is a direct spin-off from transliteration that spells all words exactly as they sound and/or are pronounced. Thus, in a few common examples of it, the Prescriptive English word "of" that is spoken with NIETHER of its written consonants, is written / typed exactly as it's pronounced, and that being as "uv", and the same with "as" that is written with only one of the consonants that it's pronounced with, and that being "az" instead of "as" that in fact is only a one "s" donkey, , and also with "is" that commonly is pronounced with a "z" instead of an "s" and thus, they write it "iz", and because "instead" has a vowel that is not pronounced, they spell it "insted" & "because" likewise, they spell with only what it's pronounced with, and that being "becuz" -OR- they ignor the "be", replace it with an apostrophe " ' " and write because as, " 'cuz ", a new kind uv contraction, and another iz "they" that becuz it's NEVER pronounsed with an "e", they spell it "thay", with an "a", thu vowel that it's pronounced / pronounsed with, and that same reasoning / reazoning being why the "c" in pronounced, thay replase with an "s" az also they / thay do in "replase", becuz Hairitaje Inglish haz thu one / wun and only / ownly standard uv writing / printing exactly az spoken / pronounsed.<>Myself having a professor's standing in Prescriptive English like as is common at Balmoral, about two years ago, on then learning of the fact via a CDN government publication, that less than half of CDN's are literate in Prescriptive English, realizing that with MY education, I could NOT stand WITH the majority of CDN's that are illiterate, I decided the least I could do is attempt to stand FOR them, and since then, I've adopted common use of "Hairitaje Inglish", that of spelling words as they're pronounced, because the CDN gov't promotes despite and harrasssment and belittling of all those that its legislation has made illiterates out of by banning the teaching of fonics in school, and a few years ago, increased that standard of NO standard, by legislating that the learning of ANY cirriculum is NOT necessary; all that is required NOW in CDN schools to be promoted to the next grade, is that the student patiently keep the seat warm and obediently tolerate the need to sit still and quiet throughout each class time, whether by reading comics or playing a computer game, unless instead, staying out in the school yard is preferable, so long as they at least are AT school so they're attendance can be recorded, & THAT being ALL that is required now to be awarded a graduation certificate at the end of the school year, , , because Canada's gov't says it's unfairly discriminatory to compel children to learn anything, , YET, only a few weeks ago, even the prime minister published a scathing report AGAINST all that have adopted Hairitaje Inglish, because of having been reared in a society where / whair the / thu schools / schoolz do NOT have / hav fonics classes / classez that teach the / thu basics of Prescriptive English, beginning with our alphabet / alfabet, and how it consists of consonants and vowels / vowelz, and the name of each and the commonly pronounced sound of each - "NUN" of that has been TAUGHT in Canadian schools for MORE than FORTY YEARS, , and the result / rezult, iz that NOW more than HALF of CDNs have taught themselvez Hairitaje Inglish, that uv speling wordz az comonly thay are pronounsed, and becuz in most casez doubled consonants are not revealed in the speaking, , most often doubled / dubled consonants are not used, such az in "wil" & "shal". Most of us know that "all" requirez 2 "l's", but that without the "all" sound when pronounced, it requires ownly one "l".<>So, Dick or Richard, THAT iz thu reazon for yor dificulty in atempting to READ my letterz, because I hav taken a stand for thu majority uv Canadians "OPENLY", because thu CDN gov't haz created an UNDER-ground of more than HALF of its people that are genuinely AFRAID to reveal that they do NOT know how to read or write fluently, and the Canadian Gov't published a report about ten years ago, revealing that more than half of its citizenry is below the grade 2 level of primary school in reading and writing, but yet permitting such to be graduated from university would you believe. In Canada where / whair it's common for 70% of all medical diagnosis to be in total error, a passing grade in medical school iz 60%, , but to become a veterinarian, an animal doctor, requirez a passing grade of 95%. Maybe THAT explains why the U.S. will acsept new veterinarianz frum Canada, but NIETHER new doctorz nor teacherz.<>LEARNING Hairitaje Inglish iz vairy simple. All it requirez iz that you SPELL wordz AS / AZ they / thay are pronounced / pronounsed. Whereas Translation reveals the meaning, Transliteration reveals the pronounciation, , that being HOW thu word iz spoken. Thus, Hairitaje Inglish haz no need of / uv thu double / duble & triple standardz of Prescriptive English that dictate by many diferent memorised rules / roolz, WHICH words / wordz must hav an "l" or an "s" or a "t" dubled and insted, SPEL thu word on thu WUN / ONE plain and simple standard uv / of HOW it iz / is PRONOUNCED / PRONOUNSED. <> So, hopefully, it's MY intent to make it easy / eezee for thu majority uv CDN's to come OUT uv thair Hairitaje Inglish closets and NOT any longer feel thu need to HIDE thu fact that thay've chozen Hairitaje Inglish over Prescriptive English that thu CDN gov't haz for so long now legislatively neglected thu foundations teaching of / uv. Henseforth on the forums, I'll attempt to remember that because most of you are NOT CDN's, that resultantly, MOST of you shall prefer Prescriptive English that although has become a little slower for me to type now, shall help me to maintain BOTH dialects in memory and THANKS Dick, for bringing that to my attention.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I tend to spend loads of money on stuff even if I am new to them, I'd rather get something good that lasts for a couple of years rather than thinking 'wish I bought that one instead'. As an owner of Mark V, sure a newbie can get confused but it will last him for ages. I'm looking at creating drum and bass tracks and playing simple Floyd style backing tracks, also be able to record without a computer DAW. I own Logic express for recording, I'd like to be able to use the Fantom's MIDI output to control the logic and also create my own stuff. Would that be a great idea? As for pace of learning, I'm a super quick musical learner. Technically speaking, I can play almost anything thrown at me and I don't play for that long either. My instruments are guitar, bass and drums but I cannot record drums at home nor do I have enough space. I need something which sounds excellent in terms of bass and drums. That's why I'm looking at the flagship.

I would love to get a Kronos but this is the only thing that is in my budget. I found a Roland G6 inclusive flight case and a 512mb (I know they almost cost nothing, but just giving you info) for 1490 euros. Would that be a good deal? The thing is in mint condition.

Duz not thu FANTOM via shared amplifier, hav its OWN speaker, , so that you get the same desired result AS IF each had a separate, individual amplifier? NOT being knowledgable concerning the FANTOM, my remark may NOT be aplicable . . . but while ON the topic, seeing as it's maximum possible authentication of reproduction in the PERCUSSION sounds that you're seeking, why not go Yamaha instead, seeing as ALL of its sounds/voices are actual, Virtual Sound Track results instead of mere synthesized noise? Archie

Ask a Question