Loopback by Y cable?

3dc

Reaction score
I would like to record Cubase video tutorial in OBS.
The problem is my Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD doesn't have internal or software loopback but it does have additional 2 INSERTS (see image below). Now the video will be recorded by OBS desktop camera but I need to add audio from Cubase and separate Microphone. The problem is the ASIO driver does not allow two separate application to use the same audio channel.

1 x audio of Cubase
1 x audio from Microphone

My question is can I make a loopback with 2 x mono jack 6.3 mm male from these two INSERTS to Jack 6.3 mm stereo male INPUT 2. I already have XLR Microphone on INPUT 1.
Will this work?
UMC.jpg

UMC-FRONT.jpg

YCABLE.jpg

Thanks for help or suggestions.

3dc

Reaction score
Sorry Gary for late reply. I was looking to solve this problem with cheap cable. I looked all over internet for more information about analogue loopback directly with audio interface but its seem to be a mystery. All I could find is this demo for loopback test from audio interface.

He is using mono cable like this.

MONO.jpg

I wonder what's the difference between this mono cable and my Y cable from my first post (2 mono to one TRS cable) on OUTPUT 3 and 4 of my audio interface?

Thanks for help.

Reaction score
I do not see how you can achieve what you seek without another piece of kit.

I do not see feeding out from Cubase then mixing and feeding back into your Computer to record on another app a solution.

Take a look at Zoom recorders in particular their multi track products. Feed everything into a Zoom (or similar) and record it there, for a one off there is always the possibility to hire or to do a “buy, try and return”.

3dc

Reaction score
Take a look at Zoom recorders in particular their multi track products. Feed everything into a Zoom (or similar) and record it there, for a one off there is always the possibility to hire or to do a “buy, try and return”.

You reed my mind. :)
I am already looking for proper portable recording solution. I am thinking about ZOOM H6. I'll then combine the video and audio in video editor. Pity though Behringer didn't think about internal loopback function for their audio interfaces. With MIDAS preamps its a surprisingly good interface for this money.

I do not see how you can achieve what you seek without another piece of kit.
I do not see feeding out from Cubase then mixing and feeding back into your Computer to record on another app a solution.

You need to record desktop audio + Cubase + microphone + desktop screen in OBS. The problem is Cubase is using ASIO driver which means its has exclusive use. You can't combine it or share it with anything else because of performance priority, which is the whole point of this driver. Strangely enough I can do that in FL Studio trough the same driver just fine.

So to solve this problem I would have to send desktop audio signal trough loopback in 3 and 4 and live MIC and Cubase on 1 and 2. Well that is the idea. :p

Thanks for help and suggestions.

Ask a Question