Musical Newb

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One last thing about the Casio XW-P1 manual. It truly sucks rocks. It was definitely translated from Japanese into Farsi then into Chinese and then English :p

If you need support finding your way around programming the step sequencer and the synth sounds and hex layers here's a few great support links with an active and vibrant community of experts who seem to be able to answer every question about these amazing synths.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/

http://www.ustream.tv/user/Casio_EMI

http://xwsynth.wordpress.com/

http://support.casio.com/manualfile.php?rgn=1&cid=008013001

http://hoanghuymusic.com.vn/?mod=news&act=getf&id=73

Those will give you something to study while you wait for your unit to ship :)

Looking forward to hearing your music. ;)

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've taken the liberty of drawing up a simple flowchart for a flexible home studio setup for you.

This setup would work fine with a Behringer Xenyx 1002FX or 1202FX mixer and your current home stereo and computer and would allow for optimum ease for recording, playback and just jamming along with a CD or the Radio on your home stereo.

Believe me, you'll want to practice with your favorite artists be they on MP3's on your computer or on your favorite CDs.

For the time being you'll be able to get by just jamming solo by plugging the XW-P1 directly into your AUX input on your stereo, but eventually you'll get bored with just playing alone.

As a bonus, you'll be able to get rid of your computer speakers and use your home stereo with your computer even while you select music from any source simultaneously.

Food for thought for your next purchase. If you have any technical questions about cabling or mixing, feel free to ask.

Gary

And one last thought if you wish to keep things on the cheap. With the proper adapters a set of powered computer speakers makes a great set of studio monitors plugged directly into the keyboard if you want to keep things simple. The signal levels are all compatible.

mixer-flowchart.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey that's great Gary, not sure what it is but anytime a brown truck comes to your house that's a good thing, lol. Thanks for all the resources and i will look for that pedal. I will gather those cables as well, since i recently bought a mac mini for my home theatre i will most likely connect it to the synth and see if i can use my tablet as well. Going to head down to Long Mcquade and see what door crashers they have. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Too cool, yeah my Mac runs through the receiver so the sound is incredible, thats a great schematic, thanks. Staples has SD on sale today, for $26 you can get a Lexar 32GB, Platnium2 card, which I will need. I think I have pretty much all the cabling at work and home, aside from some adapters. Can't wait and I actually think I have a set of Pro Tools for the Mac, came with a system awhile back, I'll have to check the version.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Enjoy your boxing day madness. I plan to shovel last night's snow and then take it easy for the rest of the day.

If I were you I'd still phone Axe tomorrow and swap out the X stand for the Z model I listed though.

Hell they may even be open for business today.

Gary

Reaction score
Hey Gary, I had missed your comment on the stand, so the X are not that stable, are the Z's portable?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Z's knock down and fold up for transport too, but they can generally support about double the weight. Also they don't bounce and sway under your fingers when you're pounding the keys like the X stands do. Playing a keyboard on a Z stand is more like playing a proper upright acoustic piano in that sense.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Z stands also give you room to stretch out your legs if you play from a seated position. ;)

EDIT >>> Here's what mine looks like. I have an old X stand I use for my Venom as well, but that is a really old model with a locking crossbar that NEVER slips.

Even so, the Z stand is the only thing I'd trust my Kurzweil on.

soundrig-small.jpg

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Using the 1/4" TRS to RCA male adapters and 10 ft RCA cables and a couple of 3.5mm stereo to RCA male adapters such as I listed would give you a lot of flexibility in how you could arrange your hookups though should you get more equipment down the road or wish to rearrange your rig.

Still for the price, those cables you listed are cheap enough as long as they don't gouge you an arm and a leg for shipping. Minimum $75 for free shipping according to their website.

Reaction score
Yeah it didn't leave Edmonton till Dec. 31, Monday is the day it says it will be delivered by. Ground shipping doesn't help with speed, lol.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The holidays and the weather didn't help either. All the major couriers are behind schedule this season.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yo Darryl! I guess tomorrow's the big day. I imagine you and your other brothers Darryl must be excited ;)

Anyway, when it arrives if the current firmware version is 1.10 there is one update to 1.11 but you do so at your own risk and to my understanding it's only a minor bug fix.

On the other hand however, if it reports no firmware version at all, then it's original 1.01 firmware and you definitely have to update.

Just giving you a heads up :)

Gary

Reaction score
Yup tomorrow is the big day, il be at work so I'll have to pick up after work. I only have Macs at home so ive downloaded the firmware already. Cant wait.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Be prepared for a HUGE box. Axe tends to double box everything and seriously overpack. If you're picking it up and driving it home I'd suggest using a van.

Either that or else empty the double box at the Purolator store and grab the individual items in your car.

And don't forget your invoice which is taped on the outside of box. That's your only real bill of sale.

Gary

Ask a Question