Need advice on Fly out Rig

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new here! I've read a lot on here (long time lerker, first time poster) and I've learned some stuff just stumbling around but I haven't seen any thing on my specific situation and I hope you all can help. Currently, my main project is a nationally traveling tribute band (we tribute to Styx, Journey and REO Speedwagon). I am using our main production companies keyboards that were provided when I stepped in; they are 2 Korg Triton Workstations (one 76 note on top, light action keys and one full 88 weighted for bottom). When I got them, I re-wrote ALL of my sounds needed for the show (same show every night) and I got really effin close to the recording and am happy with sounds. We recently did MY first fly out gigs and the other production companies could not accomodate our requests for those keyboards - understandable. So, I used my ipad 2 running Animoog app and Garage band app. At home to test these out with the iRig, I used a Yamaha MO 6, Roland RD 700 and an Alesis QS8. No problem running the MIDI out of those boards. The downside was using the ipads 3.5mm jack with an adapter to 1/4" instrument cable. I had a world of issues using their Yamaha ES8 and Korg Triton Pro X. My sounds did NOT come through and neither did my pre saved Floppy Disk sounds when imported into the Triton X. I've already emailed Korg and found that they are NOT backward compatible sound engines. BOOOOO.

My question:

What are my options here and what WORKS? I came home and went to local Guitar Center and regretfully purchased the Alesis IO Dock for Ipad. Came home to test and audio outs are GREAT, but it randomly sustains a note in Garageband and won't release until I re-select the sound. I did the update - nothing improved. I am looking to either use and rely on my ipad for future fly outs AND/ OR get into a module/ rack/ software to use on fly outs. My conditions:

1. must be light weight and fit in a checked luggage bag or carry on
2. I need to run two keyboards somehow; even if I have to purchase another ipad
3. My budget is around $1,000.00 MAX. I don't even want to spend that but I can write it off, so if its a sure thing, I'll strongly look into it.

I should also mention, in the past I have gigged two hard years with a 2005 Mac Power Book G4, running Ableton Live 8 and using Native Instruments' B4II and the Komplete package; FM8 ect. I LOVE those sounds but I don't trust a PC due to crashes and such. Should I trust again? Again, I also need to be able to simply MIDI in to WHATEVER keyboards are provided for me and roll through the show smoothly. Thanks so much for any help!

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. I have shopped those, but I'm also trying real hard to be modern, I.e. using ipad. I think you may be right that the rack would be bullet proof. I have done some you tubing on racks but I would like to ask further what some other good rack modules are.maybe I would buy two different ones to have a wider/ different array of sounds. Again, I need this module idea for two keyboards. Have you heard of the lions trac groove xr? It SEEMS like it could serve as two brains for two controllers......not sure though. Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Delaware Dave here on the forum uses the Muse Receptor Module. He speaks very highly of it.

As for the LionsTrac, I've heard of it, but have no personal experience with it.

EDIT >>> My Mistake. It's B3Maniac here who uses the Muse Receptor. I haven't seen him online for a while though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Dave! I am gonna keep on shopping. I am currently working with Guitar Center to try and find something that works. I have reopened the idea of using the Alesis IO Dock if I can get the firmware update. Worse case scenario is a buy a rack Triton (cheaper) and use my Mac Powerbook G4 running Komplete and Ableton. I really appreciate your ideas and I'll keep working something out.

Regards,

ChicoKeys

Reaction score
A bit late I know but had the same issue with io dock and I recently upgraded the firmware on the IO dock and the problem has vanished.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ya know, considering what they're going for on ebay, you could easily afford two triton racks and remain under budget. Problem solved.

And remember, with new technology comes new bugs, new problems and a new learning curve...

Gary ;)

Ask a Question