Need Advice Picking Between Two Models

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am an absolute beginner and I'm hoping to buy a decent 61-key keyboard in the next few days... unfortunately, with very limited funds. I'm not looking for crazy features: just want to learn how to play/where the keys are, etc, and eventually be able to play on a acoustic piano.

I'm currently looking at the Casio CTK-2100, but waiting to see if it goes on sale during Cyber Monday. At its cheapest, it's about $85 dollars.

Right now, Target has a keyboard deal for $59: the CTK-2080 model. The price is horribly enticing, especially considering it includes headphones, a/c adapter, music book, and stand. However, there are no reviews for this product and I have no idea if it's worth it. The fact that it hasn't sold out in stores yet is also making me hesitant.

The deal is here:
http://www.target.com/p/Casio-Portable-Keyboard-Kit-CTK2080-Black-CTK2080TD/-/A-13726497

What do you think?

Should I get the $59 keyboard, instead of the CTK-2100? Should I just eat the extra $20-30 and get the CTK-2100? Would you recommend something else entirely?

Thanks for the help!

- SRN

The Y_man

Reaction score
Whatever you get, make sure it has full sized keys.

Could be wrong but I think the 2080 is in fact that same as the 2200? (Going by the users manual).

The only difference between the 2200/2080 and 2100 seems to be the number of samples that can be held 1 vs 3.

I'd just go the cheaper one for now. Both have MIDI (via usb) so you can get some pretty goods sounds using virtual synths if you have a half decent PC/laptop.

The Y-man

Reaction score
Whatever you get, make sure it has full sized keys.

The Y-man

Yeah, I am a little worried about that with the 2080. When I saw the box in person, it said 61 piano-style keys but said nothing about the size. The other Casio model they had mentioned full-sized keys so I'm not sure if this means the 2080 doesn't have them.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Yeah, I am a little worried about that with the 2080. When I saw the box in person, it said 61 piano-style keys but said nothing about the size. The other Casio model they had mentioned full-sized keys so I'm not sure if this means the 2080 doesn't have them.

Should be OK - I just checked the Casio website - the physical dimensions are essentially the same as my CTK7000 with full size keys (only 1mm difference in overall width)

The Y-man

Ask a Question