Need help deciding on keyboard

Reaction score
Hey all, I am interested in learning to play keyboard and have norrowed down my choice to two models: Yamaha YPT310 and Casio CTK4000. Which is the better model if anyone knows. I would like the capability to transfer or possibly record to my computer. I know the Casio can record up to 6 songs. Anyways, if anybody can give me some info on the difference in quality between these two boards and features, I would truly appreciate that. Here are their links:
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-CTK4000...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1236999307&sr=8-4
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YPT310...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1236999762&sr=8-1

Thanks,
Eddie

Reaction score
oh yes, also is the headphone jack on these keyboards just a standard jack compatible with any earphones/buds/headphones?

Reaction score
Headphones come in two sizes: 1/4" (typically just studio-grade headphones) and 1/8" inch (consumer headphones). There's no quality difference between the two jack sizes, as far as I know; it's more that a lot of studio gear tends to have the 1/4" jacks, while consumer devices like MP3 players and computer speakers have 1/8" jacks.

Many keyboards also have 1/4" headphone jacks; both of mine do. I wouldn't worry about it though; you can buy a cheap (as in, $5 or so) connector that turns an 1/8" male into a 1/4" male. You put the connector on your 1/8" headphones and plug that into your 1/4" keyboard headphones.

Reaction score
I have a pair of shure earbuds, do you think I should get studio headphones or just get an adapter for these?

Reaction score
Don't get studio-quality headphones; unless you're an audiophile or are trying to produce complete songs, they're more than you want. For just practicing, earbuds will be fine, unless you plan on practicing for long periods of time and find them uncomfortable. If so, I'd get larger headphones that cover your ears, but they don't have to be top quality.

Reaction score
do you guys think learning to play songs through tabs is wrong?? Seems like folks are telling me to learn sheet music, but I can't seem to understand it at all from the guides I am looking at, plus aren't tabs just translated sheet music??

Reaction score
Learning from tabs is wrong.

Tabs are for guitarists (and in my opinion, exist only so that guitarists can avoid to learn to read proper music). Definitely learn to read music; you won't find keyboard parts written in tab form. Not to mention that tabs are for lead parts so you won't be playing many notes at once, which make for boring keyboard parts unless you're playing lead lines in a band.

If you can't understand sheet music, start the way all pianists do: with a beginner book. It's not hard, but don't expect that you can take a fairly complicated song and figure it out from sheet music right away.

Reaction score
thanks Kanthos, I will try to find a good beginner guide I can hopefully understand..

Ask a Question