Need help with selling keyboard

Reaction score
So to get the bad out of the way, my brother took his own life recently. It was totally unexpected and he was my best friend and I miss him more than I can put into words.

Thankfully I inherited his keyboard and some of his other instruments and stuff. I plan to keep most of the instruments as i know how to play them and enjoy them. But I never learned how to play piano and I dont know anyone who does. Its a large yamaha s90es that he got as a gift years ago. Although I'd rather not part with any of his stuff, all this thing is gonna do is collect dust in my house. I miss him, but I have memories and dont need a large piano taking up space to help remember him. But I have no idea what its worth or how long it would take to sell it. My wife called several shops and they were offering about 500. Is that good/bad? I'm near Houston, Texas. I dont want to sell this to some pawn shop or other kind of place. I want it going to someone who will use it and appreciate having it. I believe it has the pedal and other accessories still and it looks like its in really good shape and its been stored in a dedicated piano bag.

Can you help me with this? Sorry to post what probably looks suspicious for a first post. But I just dont know anyone who can give me a solid answer on this. I figured the best place is a forum dedicated to these instruments.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all, my heart goes out for your loss. It's always tough to lose a close family member. It feels like losing a limb.

According to Prepal the average S90 from Yamaha is selling for over $1300 USD.

Screw the pawn shops. They are trying to rip you off.

You do have options. First of all I prefer to deal locally when it comes to selling keyboards.

I use Craigslist and an App called Kijiji here in Canada.

Craigslist is international and I'm sure there are similar apps to Kijiji in your locale.

If you don't mind dealing with the hassles of packaging and shipping and insuring the item for transit and you trust escrow services and such, then there are options like Reverb.com, Ebay, etc. where you can offer your keyboard to the entire world if you'd like.

Be aware though that it can take a couple of months to sell on these websites sometimes. It's definitely not going to sell overnight especially right now with covid.

Also, you should at least plug it in for the meantime and play around with it. If you play other instruments then keys should be an easy instrument to pick up ad learn. Who knows? You may end up deciding to keep it

I hope this info helps you.;

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome and sorry you have joined us under the circumstances that you have.

I have sold keyboards via eBay but in doing so I set a reserve price, making allowances in the reserve price for eBay and Paypal fees.

I also work out the post, packaging and insurance costs and also allow in these costs for the cost of packing materials. In setting the P&P I do assume that I will be shipping to the furthest point in my Country.

Never, ever buy P&P and Insurance from the eBay site, arrange your own. Ebay uses third parties and in the event of an insurance claim there is a very long delay by each of them. Voice of experience with this one, the shipping company “lost” a £400 item I sold and it took two months to get my cash back.

Ask a Question