Need helping selecting 49 key midi controller

Reaction score
To those of you who are keyboard players playing live gigs, I need help choosing a midi controller. I recently purchased a Nektar gx49 from Sweetwater. The board was very reasonably priced. It seems well built, and fits nicely in my setup. I really like the minimalist layout of the controls. BUT, the spring action of the keys is pretty strong. I had hoped for a keybed that would provide a light touch suitable for synth and organ leads. Even though it's not a weighted keyboard, it takes at least as much force to depress the keys as my Casio PX digital piano. I'm wondering if I should send it back to Sweetwater and get something else. Hate to pay return shipping and restocking fee, but I don't want to end up with something that I don't enjoy playing.

There are other 49 key midi controllers out there. Almost bought the M-Audio Keystation....It's really a gamble buying something sight unseen, but living i a rural area far from a large music store, I don't have many options.

To sum up, I'm looking for a 49 key midi controller for live gigging with a compact layout, minimal controls needed, and a light touch. I would like to stay under $150 (US) if possible.

Thoughts?

setup.jpg

3dc

Reaction score
At 150 bucks there is nothing much better than your Nektar GX49. Better keybeds are usually above 200 bucks. At this price range you will find midi keyboards like Roland A-500 PRO with aftertouch and proper synth action keys.
If in your position I would save some money and stick with your Nektar GX49 for now at least until I could afford a proper midi keyboard upgrade. I know this is not ideal for playing but then again it can't be that bad either. I would also check what is recommended by your DAW to get the best possible workflow integration.

Ask a Question