Reaction score
I set out on this musical journey learning the guitar one year ago in my old age of 40 ish. Sadly there are too many and in my jam group was asked to learn keyboards. (An assumption you can play because one can read notation) I am classically trained, not interested in playing piano but keyboard with a room full of arrogant guitarist lol (I could have been one of them). Any tips on playing with others. Particularly improvisation methods....

I’ve bought the cheapest Casio 61 Key that was on sale and I’ve been happy with it. I carry a novation launchkey with me when my rig doesn’t have the sounds I need and use the MacBook to bring out sounds .

looking forward to sharing and learning from everyone.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Any tips on playing with others. Particularly improvisation methods...
I am about to take that journey too.
My U3A club is about start a jamming session. I believe it will be full of guitar and Uke players.
I personally cannot give you tips but interested too in any response you get here @Keroleen .
Ray

Reaction score
Welcome.

Guitarists can be an arrogant lot only interested in their kit and spending hours talking about which strings are best, how barre chords are oh so easy, how the pedals make them sound like Dave Gilmour. Yep arrogant lot, guitarists are (read me signature then you will see why I am taking the pi55 out of guitarists).

MacBook, what are you using to bring out the sounds you want?

Tips
Learn the chord shapes, then the inversions.

Play along with a host of different genre music by simply playing the chords with right hand (left hand can play the chord root as a minimum).

Then arpeggiate the chords.

Then improv using all the scale notes of the chord that is being played.

He Presto jamming to your music tracks.

Your guitar Major and Minor Pentatonic scales and blues scales will work just as well (almost) on your keyboards.

Reaction score
I am about to take that journey too.
My U3A club is about start a jamming session. I believe it will be full of guitar and Uke players.
I personally cannot give you tips but interested too in any response you get here @Keroleen .
Ray

Ray, that sounds like my crew. I’d be interested in your experience. I’ve been jamming with a group for about a year. I got kicked off guitars in about August. But I’m still expected to speak guitar and bring songs in their formats (ie guitar chords and no leadsheets)
....you get the odd keyboards take up too much room comment too

Reaction score
Thanks Biggie. Great info..... good thing I know most of it except for the playing over chords thing. Got any links I can read up on. Many improv sites say play x scale over chord... ok i get the theory on voicing but what really does that mean.

..and oh yes a queasy guitar play yes, pedals and which guitar and setups. Yet I’m happily satisfied with a keyboard that makes noises when a key is pressed.

For software. I use Novation with Ableton 98% of time. I sometimes have Garage band but I find ableton is better for performance and changing up sounds on the fly. It’s made to pair with the Launchkey...... suppose an upgrade is to get something that has both.....but I’m interested in learning....and I play with acoustics mostly. Studio is 1x a month. World of music is endless learning even in old age.

Welcome.

Guitarists can be an arrogant lot only interested in their kit and spending hours talking about which strings are best, how barre chords are oh so easy, how the pedals make them sound like Dave Gilmour. Yep arrogant lot, guitarists are (read me signature then you will see why I am taking the pi55 out of guitarists).

MacBook, what are you using to bring out the sounds you want?

Tips
Learn the chord shapes, then the inversions.

Play along with a host of different genre music by simply playing the chords with right hand (left hand can play the chord root as a minimum).

Then arpeggiate the chords.

Then improv using all the scale notes of the chord that is being played.

He Presto jamming to your music tracks.

Your guitar Major and Minor Pentatonic scales and blues scales will work just as well (almost) on your keyboards.

Reaction score
Any tips on playing with others. Particularly improvisation methods....
1. Know when not to play
2. Learn and practice your scales and modes
3. Work as a team with your fellow musicians and everyone can shine
4. Remember that a properly amplified keyboard can blow any guitar off stage. You can speak softly because you carry a big stick.

Ask a Question