Problem with sustain input

bhl

Reaction score
Hello!
I would like to ask if somebody here has some sustain solution to a keyboard with the input that was damaged by my little daughter . The rest is working fine .I do not know if there is something like a module with sustain input to connect, or perhaps configure a expression pedal to work like a sustain pedal. Any suggestion will be very appreciated.

The support told that the input has no possibility to be fixed. Only a new mainboard with new inputs.

My instrument is a Kurzweil SP2.

Thanks;

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Are you certain it is the input that's fried and not the pedal that's defective? Have you tried it with more than one pedal?

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Considering the sustain pedal input is a simple switch input it's pretty hard to actually blow one out. Even a dead short is a normal operating condition for that input.

Do you have any idea what your daughter did to the input exactly to fry it?

Gary

bhl

Reaction score
Considering the sustain pedal input is a simple switch input it's pretty hard to actually blow one out. Even a dead short is a normal operating condition for that input.

Do you have any idea what your daughter did to the input exactly to fry it?
She put a screwdriver and damaged internally.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Like I said, even a dead short shouldn't have damaged the electronics.

What she may have actually done was simply damage the mechanical jack connector itself. Easy fix with a new connector and a soldering iron.

Otherwise, worst case scenario, it's possible that a static discharge fried an input transistor or buffer IC on the mainboard.

Either way, a GOOD tech should be able to do a component level repair without having to swap out the mainboard.

I'd say phone around the local music shops in your area and get a second opinion from their keyboard techs.

Selling you a new mainboard is like killing ants with a sledgehammer. Overkill.

Gary ;)

PS. This is assuming that everything else is working normally as it should.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I really don't understand how Kurzweil tech support could definitively tell you the motherboard needed swapping from a phone call or an email.

Without looking at the actual hardware nobody could give you a specific diagnosis.

I'm disappointed in this level of support from Kurz. This is not up to their usual standard.

Gary

bhl

Reaction score
Like I said, even a dead short shouldn't have damaged the electronics.

What she may have actually done was simply damage the mechanical jack connector itself. Easy fix with a new connector and a soldering iron.

Otherwise, worst case scenario, it's possible that a static discharge fried an input transistor or buffer IC on the mainboard.

Either way, a GOOD tech should be able to do a component level repair without having to swap out the mainboard.

I'd say phone around the local music shops in your area and get a second opinion from their keyboard techs.

Selling you a new mainboard is like killing ants with a sledgehammer. Overkill.

Gary ;)

PS. This is assuming that everything else is working normally as it should.

Ok, I will look for a second on maybe third diagnostic. Thanks for the help!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're very welcome.

Hopefully it is only a damaged connector and won't cost you more than $100

Keep us posted.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
BTW, I really don't understand how Kurzweil tech support could definitively tell you the motherboard needed swapping from a phone call or an email.

Without looking at the actual hardware nobody could give you a specific diagnosis.

I'm disappointed in this level of support from Kurz. This is not up to their usual standard.

Gary
I fully agree with Gary. Nobody can diagnose the problem without a physical check and it should not cost too much to have it repaired by a decent tech. I would be happy to tackle it at home, if it were mine.

Another option, give her a few years and your little daughter might just be up to doing the job for you! Starting off with a screwdriver at 2 years of age is impressive.

Ask a Question