PSR 473

Reaction score
My 20 year old PSR 2000 recently died. Upgraded to a PSR 473. With only a few exceptions (inability to specifically edit channels like on the old machine, limited to only a pair of intros, grooves per setting, cheesy guitar sounds, etc.), I'm very happy with my machine, and am gigging with it regularly. However, on a few of my MIDI tracks, the drums have a mind of their own. HARD and LOUD accents on syncopated beats. Can't seem to mute the drums on those files. Makes the track unusable. You thoughts ...

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It's difficult to know what's going on without checking the MIDI data, so I'd start by loading the files into a DAW that can display the MIDI messages in list form without omitting any of them (e.g., some DAWs filter out SysEx messages).

Probably the first thing I'd check would be the Bank Select and Program Change messages for each channel to see which voices and drum kits are being selected. Make sure they aren't trying to select voices and drum kits-- especially drum kits, since that seems to be the issue-- which the PSR-E473 doesn't actually have. Change them as needed and try experimenting with different drum kits to see if you can find one that works better.

Ask a Question