Reggae Piano Keyboard

Reaction score
Hey guys, which keyboard would you recommend just for piano sounds for reggae music? I have a nord( that I use for organ and ep sounds). I also have an old keyboard which I want to replace.
I was looking for a keyboard that preferably does not have controls on it towards the middle and/or is slim. I stack my keys and I want the organ to be as close as possible to this new keyboard I purchase because I play both pianos with one hand at times.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Very specific requirements you have there but one more bit of information will help, budget?
I would spend up to 3 thousand on one I would say and yeah I know, haha. They are very specific. The keyboard could do more then just piano sounds, I am just saying I do not need it to.

Reaction score
Its the no central controls that has me head scratching.

The only thing I can think of is a Midi controller and software solution.

If this is not the way for you checkout Korg Grandstage and Nord Piano 3 to see if you can live with the layout.

Reaction score
If you're looking for JUST a piano and no central controls, this might be the perfect fit for a low-budget, but very serviceable "Digital Grand" in the $500-$600 range. Anything above that price and you're going to get lots of control surfaces, other sound engines, and additional features. Since you have other boards for that and are just looking for piano, maybe that would be a good solution. Plus, Digital Grand's are light-weight, being around only 15lbs, even with good weighted keybeds, and are much slimmer than workstations and more expensive electric pianos. I had to borrow my friends Casio Privia PX-160 this summer for a simple travel gig and it did me well. They get away with few controls by having keys on the keyboard double as patch changes (while holding down another button). This is NOT something I usually want, but it might be perfect for your needs.

Reaction score
Why don’t you just use a slim 88 key midi controller ($200-$320) so you could get it SUPER close to your Nord? You might even be able to just midi it to the “old keyboard “ that you were going to replace, (or maybe to a sound module or computer).
Alesis ($199), mM-Audio ($199), and Nektar($319) all make affordable ones.
I can attest to the quality of the Nektar, as I own a LX88 and a LX88+.

Reaction score
+1 for a simple weighted-key digital piano.

Yamaha p105/ p115/ p125, Casio px-150/ px-160, Roland fp-30.

. charles

Reaction score
Professional Jamaican reggae musicians today, as a rule, have new motifs of yamaha and fatal fantasies. I also saw the keyboard of Clavia for organ sounds. In the past, korg M1 and korg triton were most often used.

You might want to think about at least two keyboards playing the bubble and piano, while still retaining opportunities for lead sounds and effects.

Reaction score
Other possibilities: Kawai ES110, Korg SV1, Korg D1, some other Casios and Yamahas... I would tend to pick something with a 5-pin MIDI jack (not just USB)

Ask a Question