Roland AX-1 help

Reaction score
I got an ax-1 not too long ago, but I'm having some troubles incorporating it into my setup. I normally use a Korg Triton as my sound module, and connect a Korg SG ProX as an additional controller. But the Triton only has one midi in. As does the SG, even though it has 4 midi outs.

Does anyone know of anything that could get both of these boards sending midi messages to the Triton? Or do I have to look into running the Roland into a laptop?

My other issue is with getting this board to communicate with my other keyboards (even when plugging it into the Triton directly). For my setup, I have my more complicated songs set up as combinations on the triton, and I set the SG to channel 2. Then I have 16 common sounds set up in the sequencer on channels 1-16, so I can set each keyboard to one of them in a second.

So ideally, I want to get patches 1-16 on the AX-1 to simply transmit on midi channel 1-16, without sending ANY program or bank changes. My first attempts to use this board live were disastrous, as it would change my clavitar to bagpipes or something in the middle of Play That Funky Music, if I hit a button by accident. Or more commonly, I would load up a specific sound setup on the triton, then change something on the keytar, and it would bugger the patch up. Then I'd have to reload the sound, by which point the audience has gotten bored and left the dance floor, and the band is glaring at me.

Does anyone have any experience with this board? This shouldn't be that hard to do, but the user manual is badly written, and all I can find is ways of getting the ax1 to change sounds for you according to general mid specs, which is not at ALL what I want. Thanks a bunch for the help, guys!
-cullam

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether the Korgs can be set to a soft thru function, but if they can, then that is what you're after.

Soft Thru passes data received at MIDI IN to the MIDI OUT port, merging it with it's own data.

If they do have it, you'd find it wherever your global MIDI settings are found.

Otherwise you need a MIDI merge box.

Reaction score
Thanks! I've been looking through the SG's manual, but I haven't found anything that seems to match that description. And going through the Triton manual, I haven't found any way to stop it from receiving program change messages either. Anybody familiar with the internal workings of these boards? If I could sort out either of those two things, that would be a good start on getting this beast to work!

What are these merge boxes you mentioned, and where can I find one?

Reaction score
Alright, I'll keep an eye on e-bay.

Do you know how you can set midi channels on your AX-7? I imagine I would need to do something similar on my AX-1. What do you get this board to talk to, and what do you use to control your sounds? Thanks so much for all the help!

Ask a Question