Roland RD300s unable to switch off two-channel MIDI transmission

Reaction score
Using my Roland Rd300s Digital Piano as midi keyboard for writing. When you turn it on it defaults to two-channel MIDI transmission, which is no good for writing notation, as it duplicates all notes ... you write a 'c' and you get two 'c's. I got the keyboard 2nd hand, so I never had an instruction manual, and it's quite old now. Until today, I found by experimentation that I could switch off one of the channels by pressing the button on the left of the picture below in combination with either of the two lit buttons marked 'L and 'U' and then one would switch off. But now whatever I do, both channels seem to be permanently 'on'. Have I forgotten the right button combination? Has a switch stopped working? Are there any Roland RD300 users (or sound engineer types) , who can tell me where I am going wrong, and how I can fix it. It's not worth spending much money, given the age and condition, so I'm hoping for a DIY fix. Thank you!

Attachments

• MIDI OUT CHANNELS.jpeg
    MIDI OUT CHANNELS.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 117

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The specific problem you describe-- duplicate Note events being sent on two different channels-- normally occurs when you're playing a keyboard using a "layered" voice, or two different voices played simultaneously. A keyboard that has the ability to layer two voices together should have a button or function for toggling the second layer on and off as desired. Depending on the make and model of the keyboard, the two voices of the layered sound might be called "Main" and "Dual," or "R1" ("Right 1") and "R2" ("Right 2"), or "U1" ("Upper 1") and "U2" ("Upper 2"), or something similar; check the manual for your keyboard for more information.

By the way, since you got the RD-300S used and didn't get the manual with it, you can download the manual from Roland:

I don't see any mention of being able to layer two voices together, just the ability to split the keyboard. Based on the buttons shown in the picture you posted, I'm guessing it's the split function that's causing the problem, although I've never heard of a split causing Note events to be duplicated on the two channels.

I would start by trying to turn off the split mode completely.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, you could try setting the "L" and "R" parts to the same MIDI Transmit channel.

If that causes the Note events to be duplicated on the same channel-- rather than on different channels-- then you should set the "L" and "R" parts back to different channels and see if you can filter out the unwanted extra channel on your computer or tablet.

By the way, what notation software are you using? And are you running it on a computer or on a tablet? Also, what kind of cable or interface are you using to connect the RD-300S to the computer or tablet?

Reaction score
My *guess" is that U and L (for Upper and Lower of a Split) turn into a layer if you don't have the Split function engaged, so you are sending on two channels (one for the Upper sound and the other for the Lower sound, which are both playing all across the keyboard). The L and U buttons appear to have LED indicators to show when they are active. What happens if you hit just one of them, does the light go out? I would think that whatever mechanism "unlights" them is likely to also shut off that channel's MIDI transmission.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. The first was really in depth, thanks. You were both right, and it's fixed: hurrah! Thanks to the manual I downloaded, I tried to follow the complex instructions about allocating midi channels then noticed that there was a "remote pedal option". Turns out when I had a workspace reorganisation yesterday, I had accidentally plugged my foot pedal into the remote jack slot at the back, and it was overriding the keys on the keyboard panel, so this was why suddenly I couldn't turn them off (yes, they were effectively acting as layers and sending duplicate signals to Musescore). As soon as I unplugged the pedal they worked again fine. So you both helped me find my way there! (Silly me!) At last I can get back to writing again! Thanks, Simon

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out. Happy composing! :)

Reaction score
That's great... especially since I suspect it would have been a long time before anyone came up with "you probably have a pedal plugged into the wrong jack." ;-)

Reaction score
I know, eh? Isn't it maddening when you do something like that?

It was all working perfectly and I decided to move things around, to make my work station more 'ergonomically' organized, and when I set it up again, it didn't work. I was going mad! Trying this button and that, in various combinations, and cursing myself for messing with it! I was sure the switch had gone, which might have resulted in buying a whole new keyboard, as it is such a battered relic, and not worth the investment. I might have stared at it for hours more, had it not been for the kind link to the manual and seeing the magic words "Remote Pedal Option", which made me realise what I'd done, and that the answer lay not in the buttons on the front but in unplugging something at the back!

Felt like a fool afterwards, but a happy fool, as it was working!

Simon

Ask a Question