Should I ask for discount?

3dc

Reaction score
I friend of mine always asks for additional discount whenever he buys something either in music shop or even online. And it doesn't matter to him if the product is already on sale . He says most of the products are overpriced anyway so its not a big deal. I noticed many music shops have relatively "old" keyboards. Thomann for example is selling Korg Pa600 for 800EUR, Yamaha MX88 for 922EUR, Roland JunoDS 959EUR.

According to him I should definitely ask for discount for a product I like. Is this a common practice in music business?

Reaction score
I would ask for a discount on any item no matter if it is an old or newish piece of kit.

I have found the best price online for a delivered item and rang up for best price from my favourite shops, then I throw in that I will collect in person and hence they will save on delivery so a bit more discount there.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Often retailers will happily discount to move their stock. Better to lose 5% profit than lose a sale to a competitor. Stock turnover gives a retailers more buying power and they also have opportunity to get better deals from the wholesaler and so the cycle continues.

Yes! Ask for discount :)

Ray

Reaction score
I spent most of my life negotiating contracts. At one point I was considering writing a book about successfulstrategies. I even had a title in mind "It never hurts to ask ". I don't always use my technique in every purchase, but if its significant money I do. Sometimes its just as simple as saying I like it, but what can you do for me on the price. Or, I like the suit, can you include a tie for that price. Obviously asking for a fresh set of strings with a new guitar purchase or a free setup if the shop says no to a discount. Never put your card down until there is an agreement. You are in control of the deal.

Ask a Question