Splitting the tones on my Casio keyboard

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a Casio CT-S300 recently. I realise it has 400 different tones, a lot of which I want to use.

However, having gone through the user manual, I can’t find any instruction on how to split the keyboard to use 2 different sounds. For example, I want to use a fret bass with my left hand and some of the more acoustic sounds with my right. Is there a way of doing this?

Alternatively, can I assign different tones to the inbuilt auto-rhythm accompaniment that comes each of the installed rhythms? I appreciate they have 2 versions but I want to have a simpler sound there.

thanks in anticipation,

JohnnyM24

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. The Casio CT-S300 is a basic model made for home consumers, and is limited on keyboard splitting capability to the functions described in the manual. For the details on the functions you can assign to the lower keys, please refer to your manual. Best wishes, Don aka B3maniac

Reaction score
Thanks Don,
looks like I might be better returning it if I can and getting something else. Some of the less expensive Yamahas look pretty good.
I had a couple of very basic, budget small keyboards in the 90’s that seem to do a lot more....
oh, how times have changed o_O

Reaction score
Welcome.

You are best returning it and actually saving up some more cash and buying a better model.

The Casio you have is about £150 here in the UK and I would suggest that a better buy would be at least a Yamaha PSR 463 which is £275 or an EW 410 at £345 or a Korg EK50 at £275 or a Casio CTX3000 at £250.

Models below those listed are cheaper for very good reasons, they are simply not as good but that said even these are moy going to set the world on fire, they are a basic tool for learning the craft up to a point

Do download and read the Manual of any keyboard that you consider buying, for if the features you desire are not described in the manual they will more likely not be included.

You really do get what you pay for with a keyboard.

Good luck

Reaction score
Hi Biggles,
Good advice, thanks.

To be honest, I was hoping to get a quick solution for my Ceilidh/folk band to broaden the sound when the some of the 5 members couldn’t make gigs as opposed to using it as a main instrument. So whenever the likes of the bass or banjo player weren’t there, I could use the keyboard for some basic bass rythm and banjo instrumental parts.

As you say, you get what you pay for so I’ll do a bit more research..... cheers.

Reaction score
Hi,
I did some further (patient) research and looks like the Yamaha E373 is the one for me at @£230. Negotiating the various outlets/delivery dates.
thanks for the advice folks.

Reaction score
OK, I am going to make you wince now with my suggestion.

For your performance based usage I would not touch the E373, the E series are beginner keyboards.

Up your budget considerably and look at a quality Arranger like a Korg PA700 or Yamaha SX700.

These have much superior instrument voices, the ability to easily layer instruments and add effects.

Best of all you can create configured Songs and Setlists for quick and easy call up of your music.

Reaction score
Hey I'm looking at the CTX700/3000 vs the E373; what did you end up getting and how did it work out? And FYI the CTS300 cannot split or layer.

Peace out

Reaction score
I bought a CT X5000 as a stop gap, it was not very good with a flaky OS.

I would not now touch a Casio.

The Yamaha PSR E series is still a beginner keyboard and the 3xx is in my opinion not the model to go for. The E463 being a much better buy but it is still a beginner keyboard.

Ask a Question