The Greatest Album of All Time?!?!?!?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I was in full agreement with the critics right after it came out.

We all saw it as derivative of Tull's earlier Thick As a Brick and nobody wanted to listen to another 45 minute concept album again so soon.

As far as we were concerned that was the day Ian Anderson stopped putting out "fresh" material.

Gary ;)
The critics got it wrong!
Tull had many more classy albums after APP.
Still performing now in 2021.

But what would I know? I have been a faithful follower of Tull since 1968. Maybe a little bias hehe! :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The critics got it wrong!
Tull had many more classy albums after APP.
Still performing now in 2021.

But what would I know? I have been a faithful follower of Tull since 1968. Maybe a little bias hehe! :)

I'm not faulting you for being a Tull fan. I own a half dozen of his early R&B and Progrock stuff as well.

When Anderson released A Passion Play, he was a victim of his own bad timing.

In those days, when Thick As A Brick came out, it was a novelty in size, but radio stations gave it plenty of airplay mainly for that reason.

Coming out with another 22 minute per side album immediately afterwards, however, was unwise. Radio stations balked at losing that much commercial air time on a cut and simply did not give it more than a few select plays in a week instead of the usual Top40 lineup.

To be honest my favorite Tull albums are still Living in the Past and Aqualung. :)

Locomotive Breath is still an awesome song to this day. :cool:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Great choice.
For what it is worth here is my top six in order of preference:-
Runrig, Proterra
Tavelling Willburys
Beatles, Sgt Pepper
Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon
Tina Turner Foreign Affair
The Sutherland Brothers Band
Steely Dan-Katy Lied; Stevie Wonder-SongsInTheKeyOfLife;The Cars-Candym
Great choice.
For what it is worth here is my top six in order of preference:-
Runrig, Proterra
Tavelling Willburys
Beatles, Sgt Pepper
Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon
Tina Turner Foreign Affair
The Sutherland Brothers Band
mine are: Steely Dan-Katy Lied; Stevie Wonder-Songs In Thd key of life; The Cars Debut Album; Thomas Dolby-The golden age of Wireless.:(

Reaction score
Of course, Hocus Pocus was what put Focus on my radar-- I think I saw them perform it on one of those live rock concerts they used to show on TV in the good old days. And that album-- Moving Waves-- was probably my favorite Focus album, especially side two, which is a lengthy piece called Eruption. As I recall, I was initially a bit disappointed with Hamburger Concerto. But I've come to consider it as being superior to Moving Waves.
I still have 5 or 6 Focus albums on vinyl :) Great band.

Ask a Question