Total beginner from the UK taking the plunge

Reaction score
@Biggles and @happyrat1 Thank you so much for all your suggestions and advice (and the links). Have been looking at some youtube videos of the Casio CTK-6200 and the MicroKorg with the wife. I'll be honest, i have fallen in love with the MicroKorg and what it is capable of. Wife is going back to Wales tomorrow to see new year in with her family (they have had a really unfortunate year this year so are spending it together to give '2 fingers to 2017'. She said she can try to stop in Cardiff on the way to pick up the MicroKorg. After talking with her we have come up with 2 options so this is where i could use some experienced advice please :

Option 1 - I could get the MicroKorg and the wife has also offered to buy a Casio CTK-6200 as she also liked the look and sounds of that and with the wider range of keys (61 v 37) could be better for starting to learn keyboard (something she said she would like to dabble with herself) ?

Option 2 - Just buy a MicroKorg-S model for the extra features and put any change aside towards saving for something else in the future, once i have a better idea of the different types of synths and where they could fit in my arsenal so to speak.

With your knowledge and experience what would you do ? I kind of think MIcroKorg-S as it will be something that stays with me through this journey but at the same time if i start going to get some keyboard lessons that would be kind of like turning up at the shooting range with a rocket launcher, lol.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Option One gives you the best of both worlds. A ROMpler with bread and butter sounds and a virtual analog synth for the other worldly leads and pads.

Definitely go that route as the S has only marginal improvements over the original.

You might also have to pick up a cheap mixer to play them both at the same time unless the 6200 has an audio input in which case all that you need is a cheap cable to hook them together.

EDIT >>> I just checked. It does have a 3.5 mm stereo input so all you need is a cable to connect the output from the Microkorg to the input of the 6200.

This is the cable you'll need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hosa-CMP-153-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O3C/

That's all you need except for a sustain pedal and a cheap but sturdy X stand. Buy one that's double braced but don't spend a fortune on it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

And my sympathies to your wife's family :(

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The problems with _only_ owning a synth with "mini keys" (like the MicroKorg or its variants):

. . . (a) It's difficult to control dynamics (loud/soft) on mini keys, and:

. . . (b) When you get a keyboard with full-size keys, or a piano, all your "muscle memory" will be wrong !

So the "two-keyboard" idea (with a 61-full-size-keys "main keyboard") is a good one.

As I remember it, some of the low-end Arturia synths (microBrute, etc) don't let you save your patches (configurations of knobs and buttons). IMHO that makes them unusable for "live" playing (where you must change sounds from song to song), and very tedious for studio work.

The microKorg and its more-powerful cousins (microKorg XL / XL+) _do_ let you save your patches. And they interface nicely with computer-based "patch libraries" and "patch editors", which make sound-editing _much_ easier than it is, using the instrument's own knobs.

(I have mixed feelings about my microKorg XL+. Quite flexible, but not easy to master, either from the front panel or via computer. Too much flexibility, not enough knobs. An UltraNova or MiniNova might be easier to get one's head around.)

Reaction score
Thank you both again for your input, have (well the wife has) ordered the Casio CTK-6200 (and the cable that was advised by @happyrat1 to connect both together) which i will be using for learning and the majority of playing and also ordered myself a MicroKorg for experimenting and learning more about the 'synth' side of things and creating patches eventually. The Casio is being delivered next Saturday while i will collect the MicorKorg, either Friday if i have time as I will be working in the area or Saturday/Sunday, depending on what time the Casio arrives so looking forward to an interesting weekend. Looking forward to starting this learning journey :)

Reaction score
So your cheap and cheerful is ending up a full blown system with bags of potential.

Good for you, your Mrs deserves a great meal out as treat.

Reaction score
Indeed it is, hehe. Her sensible idea again 'spend a bit more and get gear that's going to grow with you rather than buying something cheaper that may end up being replaced every few months'. I also remembered i had some Christmas money so that helped as well :)

We'll be going out for a birthday meal later, does that count ? Fair play she is a good one :)

Happy New Year to anyone reading this as well, hope 2018 is a great one.

So your cheap and cheerful is ending up a full blown system with bags of potential.

Good for you, your Mrs deserves a great meal out as treat.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Great news Kevlar. Once you get the cable you can hook the Line Outs of the Microkorg directly to the Audio Input on the CTK-6200 and use the internal speakers of the CTK for both instruments.

Later on, if you get into MIDI you can hook the Microkorg and the CTK up to the computer and set up MIDI Routing software to even use the CTK as a controller keyboard for the Microkorg and set up some cool layers.

For that you'll need a standard USB AB Printer Cable which I believe Casio already supplies with the CTK and a USB MIDI Interface for the Microkorg which can be had for a few bucks.

No need to go nuts. One of these will do fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zacro-Interface-Adapter-Musical-Keyboard/dp/B01GY5JDQQ/

Be advised however, they do have a high infant mortality rate these cheapo chinese interfaces.

Anyway, I'll post a diagram on how to hook it up next message.

EDIT >>> Also, in the meantime you should download the manufacturers' manuals to familiarize yourself with the keyboards before they arrive.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's a diagram that should pretty much explain the hookups.

1) Always connect MIDI IN connectors to MIDI OUT and Vice Versa. That's just the way it is with MIDI. MIDI spec is designed as a daisy chain network.

2) Red is always Right Channel on cables and Black or Grey or whatever other color is Left.

Casio-CTK-Microkorg-Hookup.jpg

Post here if you have any more questions.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all your help Gary (@happyrat1), that is awesome. Have put the midi cable into my amazon wish list, manuals downloaded so will start having a browse through those as well. No doubt will be back with loads of questions. I have one already, lol. Connecting the Korg to the Casio is just so the sounds from both instruments come from the same speakers ?

Going to have a look for some beginner online lessons just to start learning some scales and stuff as well as trying to practice hand co-ordination (and playing 'Cars' by ear, lol) so will probably end up playing around the the Casio to start with as can already see the MicroKorg being a time sink of sonic fun :)

Closer by Nine Inch Nails is one of the many songs at the top of my list of songs to learn but i think the MicroKorg will be the main muscle behind getting as close to those sort of sounds, so that's a kind of a longer term goal at the moment.

The more i am looking into this i can see me buying a drum machine before the end of the month (unless the drum programming on either of these 2 is capable), that will open up a whole new can of worms tho as will need a mixer then as well, and it's best to learn to walk before trying to run.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
1) Yes the connection between Casio and Korg is Audio Only. For MIDI control you'll need the USB cables and MIDI Routing Software and a DAW software (plenty of free ones around)

2) The CTK has a couple hundred rhythms built in as well as the Microkorg has an arpeggiator built in. Not sure if it has a step sequencer as well but probably not.

Anyway, you can do quite a bit with only those two pieces of hardware alone.

You should study up on the automation features of the two keyboards in the manuals. Read the sections on arpeggiators and rhythms carefully.

One trick is using MIDI to redirect the drum channel of the CTK to the Korg via MIDI to turn it into a kick ass synth drum machine.

There's all sorts of tricks you can do once you get a handle on MIDI and DAW automation.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ultimately you won't be needing a mixer until you decide to hook up to external monitors or a keyboard amp so I wouldn't worry about it unless your rig really starts to grow.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
. . .
The more i am looking into this i can see me buying a drum machine before the end of the month (unless the drum programming on either of these 2 is capable), that will open up a whole new can of worms tho as will need a mixer then as well, and it's best to learn to walk before trying to run.

Happy New Year, and welcome to GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)!

. Charles

Reaction score
Just a quick update, the Casio CTK-6200 was delivered yesterday, absolutely loving this keyboard. Not delved into any of the programming side of it yet apart from just going through some of the stored sounds. Came with free lessons as well so am starting to go through them which is pretty good fun.
Went down to PMT in Oxford today and collected the MicroKorg, have not tried this yet but if i'm totally honest i can't say i am a fan of the tiny keys and will be challenging trying to play that with my sausage fingers, lol. Had a look around and a couple of other synths caught my attention. In particular one of the others on the shortlist, the Microbrute, the keys felt a lot nicer to my inexperienced fingers and one of the staff (who are very friendly and tolerant) was getting some awesome sounds out of it. I guess the tiny keys is something you have to get used to. Another was the Korg Monologue which again i found the keys easier to play, the little oscillator looks like it's a useful tool for a beginner as it shows what the sound is doing which can help give one a better idea of what exactly is going on with the sound when tweaking it. Fair play to the staff there they did say there is a possibility of outgrowing the Monologue as you have a lot more options to be playing with on the MicroKorg. They send me happily on my way with the MicroKorg but said if i do find it overwhelming or struggle with the keys i can return it and change it for a Minilogue or something similar. Think i am just going to train myself to try get used to the keys tho as it seems to tick all the boxes and be more than capable of doing what i am looking to do. Nice to have that piece of mind tho that if i am still finding it difficult with the keys i can return it.
As for the GAS that has been mentioned, yes that happened when i clocked eyes on someone messing with a Roland System-1 (i just loved the green lighting on it) and a Moog Sub Phatty, that thing could not have sounded any dirtier if it was dragged through a mud pile, lol.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Once you have your MIDI connections hooked up you can play the Microkorg from the Casio using it as a controller.

I had all sorts of Minikey synths over the years and I never used their keyboards at all. Instead I used my PC3K8 as a controller when I was laying down a track.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, the Microkorg is a better deal for the money than both the Monologue and the Microbrute.

Like I said, once you've hooked both keyboards up to your computer the way that I've shown in the diagram and installed a MIDI Routing Software, the tiny keys will no longer be an issue.

You just turn off MIDI Local on the CTK and you will be playing the Microkorg with the Casio keyboard. Easy peasy once you're all hooked up.

Even microkeys are not such a hassle once you get used to them. You're not going to be able to play huge chords on the Microkorg anyway.

Have fun in the meantime :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, i won't be hooking it up to a computer. The idea i have is to have instruments i can play without having to take a computer with me if i go to a friends house or rehearsal room once i become a little proficient. I have managed to hook it up with the breakout cable so i can play the Casio and MicroKorg and hear them both through my headphones so that's pretty good. I can see what you mean with regards to the microkeys, the MicroKorg is more playing a few notes and 'tweaking' the sounds to get something you want where the Casio is finding sounds you like and just playing.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's your call, but you won't be able to use the Microkorg patch editor unless you're hooked up to a computer.

Eventually you may find yourself getting into MIDI sequencing and recording but for now if you're happy we're all happy :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question