Total beginner from the UK taking the plunge

Reaction score
The computer is really useful in _programming_ (developing sounds for) the MicroKorg.

If the CTKxxx has a 5-pin "MIDI Out" jack, you don't need a computer to _play_ the MicroKorg from the CTK keyboard.

Have fun!

. CHarles

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually if he wants to control the Microkorg from the CTK keyboard he can use one of these devices instead of hooking up to a computer.

https://www.amazon.com/midiplus-USB-MIDI-Host-Controller/dp/B074NGTGHN/

That will allow him to use a USB AB cable from the CTK directly to the MIDI Host and two standard 5 pin MIDI Cables from the Microkorg to the MIDI ports on the MIDI host as well.

Then he will be able to play the Microkorg directly from the CTK keyboard and even layer the two sounds simultaneously.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you all again for the awesome advice and suggestions. At the moment i am wanting to keep both instruments separate, playing the majority of stuff on the CTK as that is what i am primarily using to learn the a-b-c's of keyboard playing, if that makes sense and using the MicroKorg for choruses/solo's. Best example I can give at the moment is regarding one song i am trying to learn to cover, although this is more a side thing as only just starting to practice simple exercises on the keyboard via some online lessons, as well as co-ordination of using both hands. Anyway, the song is called Closer by Nine Inch Nails (contains bad language/adult themes if one was to give it a listen with vocals), where I have the idea to play the verse on the CTK and the parts after (where he sings 'you get me closer to god' in the song) the chorus separately with the MicroKorg, programming the sounds/patches in so i can alternate between playing the Casio and the MicroKorg. So, rather than being able to use the keys on the Casio to play the MicroKorg. Even tho i will be playing them together eventually, i would like to keep them as separate instruments if that makes sense. On a side note, and this is just my opinion which is in the minority as so many people cannot praise it enough, the keys on the MicroKorg are horrid so i can see myself changing that for something else soon. Shame really as it really packs a punch and sounds amazing through the Sennheiser headphones but just won't do what i am wanting to do.

Reaction score
Actually if he wants to control the Microkorg from the CTK keyboard he can use one of these devices instead of hooking up to a computer.

https://www.amazon.com/midiplus-USB-MIDI-Host-Controller/dp/B074NGTGHN/

That's an interesting device. The "comments" are mixed. I think Kevlar is right -- learn to play first, _then_ worry about interfacing MIDI keyboards to each other.

I found the MicroKorg XL+ keyboard difficult at first. But you can get used to it, and it's reasonably playable. And as Gary points out, you won't be playing many two-handed chords (or two-handed music) on it. I haven't read many people who "cannot praise it enough" -- it's a compromise, full-size keys are better. But the MicroKorg series is _tiny_, considering all the sounds hidden inside.<g>

Ask a Question