Transmit tuning changes

Reaction score
my band tunes town a half step to make vocals a bit easier. I tune both of my boards down but when I midi from the Yamaha to the Korg, the Korg plays in 440. Suggestions?

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the tuning that you are doing to the Yamaha to play 1/2 step down is being set 'locally' by some master tune feature. This tuning adjustment will not impact the midi message sent from the Yamaha to the Korg. In your midi transmission you have to instruct the Yamaha to tell the Korg to play 1/2 step down by including that in the midi message. On my Kurzweil this is done in a particular page of the setup that is used to transmit to the receiving device. There is a separate transpose instruction. This is a MIDI transpose instruction and is independent of tuning the board down in the "tuning" section of the Yamaha. As an example you might want to tell the Korg to play all of the notes 1 octave down but have not changed the tuning on your Yamaha to play 1 octave down. Somewhere in the Yamaha Midi setup you created there should be an independent transpose message that instructs the Yamaha to tell the Korg "play this program 1/2 step down". Check all of the midi menus and you should find some sort of a midi transpose setup. Depending on the Yamaha keyboard model it might not be an available option. It is on the Motif models but perhaps not on something like a PSR model.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Also, I was looking at the manual for the Korg Pa600 and it has several options related to Transpose, apparently including one to ignore incoming MIDI events related to Transpose. So the particular model of Yamaha and particular model of Korg is relevant to finding an optimal solution. I know that my Yamaha PSR-E models don't have any options for transmitting Transpose information via MIDI, although the PSR-S models might.

Ask a Question