Upgrading from Casio CT-S300?

Reaction score
Newbie here thinking of upgrading from my Casio CT-S300 'cos I'm getting frustrated by some aspects of it so I'm in need of suggestions. This is for home use only by an adult beginner with a wide taste in music types and styles but not into much at all produced after 1980ish (!). Compared to my Casio, I'd like to ...

Be able to assign at least five different groups of settings each to a dedicated button which instantly applies those settings

Add effects/modify the sound to some extent (e.g. add chorus/echo or whatever, maybe some kind of filter for use with synth sounds?)

Choose a voice faster than having to use a scroll wheel to go through 400 or so options

Have more flexibilty with accompaniments (i.e. more variations on each style)

Maybe record to USB?

Budget will only just stretch to around 300GBP, and at present I'm torn between the Korg EK50 and the Yamaha E463 (or the 473 which I understand has just replaced it), so ... which of those two would be my best bet on the face of it, and should I be considering anything else?

Last point to note is that I'm in effect housebound so can't get to a shop to try anything out.

Reaction score
Tell me about it! I've spent most of today on the internet and getting really pigged off with a certain music shop in Bolton who listed the EK50 "in stock", took the money off me, then finally rang me back twice after three messages from me to tell me they hadn't got one after all. What a totally useless outfit!

Anyhow, I now have one on order from Lincoln. Or rather I might have. The order's currently showing "not shipped" and "payment error" despite me having proof that the payment's gone through, so I'm rather hoping for the courtesy of a response early tomorrow to the email I've sent querying wtf.

I dunno. I want to buy an EK50 and presumably Korg would be happy for me to do that, so why do the shops make the process such a PITA?

Reaction score
Oh ... I couldn't possibly name it on a public forum :cool:

Speaking as somebody who spent a large part of his working life in retail and customer service, I fully understand supply problems but that was not the issue yesterday. My problems were caused by the shop making it difficult for customers to contact them (not taking incoming calls and not answering emails in a timely manner) and good old-fashioned inefficiency (listing an out-of-stock item as in stock).

Biggest part of the reason I'm bent out of shape is I paid via PayPal. The funds went straight out of my bank to PayPal, and I'm now out of pocket until PayPal gets round to paying the refund into my account.

Reaction score
Scan are in Bolton and they are showing order today, get it tomorrow.

Scan are not a Music Store but a computer/computer component store that sell a huge range of products.

I have used them frequently without issue but when there has been an issue they were a pain to deal with but being 20 minutes away I buy in store and check for damage at the pick up counter.

Reaction score
Never heard of Scan. When I just checked, EK-50 is OOS there, available on pre-order!

Whatever, AFAIC the moral for me is never to pay by PayPal if I can help it and never order from a music store online without first phoning them.

Reaction score
Just by way of a thrilling update to this saga, the current state of play is

One refund pending from supplier who didn't actually have the item which they listed as in stock

Another refund pending from the supplier from whom I ordered an EK50 on Thursday and cancelled this morning. Payment went through to them Friday, still showing "not shipped" this morning, and after far too long on the phone to them the best they could say was that I should get my order Wednesday, And that's after paying extra for expedited delivery!

Email from DHL confirming that they've already picked up the EK50 I ordered from Keysound (with free shipping) three hours ago and I can expect it tomorrow.

Fingers are crossed, but I'm already well impressed with Keysound (Leicester)

Reaction score
Well ... to my utter relief, a shiny new EK50 is now sitting quietly (for the time being) in our living room. I've only just powered it up and had a quick go on the default grand piano, but I'm amazed at the quality of the sound. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be this good.

Off now to read the manual ...

PS Keysound's Paul is a top bloke. No bullshit and a pleasure to deal with.

Ask a Question