USB Wireless Network Adaptor

Reaction score
would l be right in thinking l can or could connect any USB Wireless Network Adaptor to my Yamaha s970 and would work ok

regards
allan

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't know. A keyboard like the PSR-S970 uses a built-in computer as its brains, and a computer peripheral needs some sort of driver to manage the data that's passing between the peripheral and the computer. I'm not sure if the PSR-S970's operating system uses a driver that specifically handles only Yamaha's Wi-Fi adapter, or a generic one that can handle any class-compliant Wi-Fi adapter. I suspect the former is true, but if someone with a PSR-S970 or similar model happens to have a USB WI-Fi adapter handy, it would be great if they could try it and post the results.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's a thread that says "no, you're locked into Yamaha products forever..."

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=31520.0

I've been thinking about buying this Yamaha UD-WL01 wifi dongle, About £55 in UK, as I quite like the idea of using my iPad and having the auto page turn option when reading the dots, I thought it may make life a little easier, and of course I can store my whole collection on my 128gb pad so no messing about with sheets.

Having tried a few alternative wifi dongles on my s970, it's obvious that Yamaha only intend their own branded dongles to work such as
the UD-WL01. So although it's listed as an official accessory for the 970/770 models etc. before I order one, can anyone confirm that the UD-WL01 does indeed work okay on the 970/770 ? as I assume it should do.

Secondly, for those that do use their iPad/tablet in this way, what's your favourite app, for displaying the score, and for auto page turning. ? Assuming I have choices of apps of course.
I've been thinking about buying this Yamaha UD-WL01 wifi dongle, About £55 in UK, as I quite like the idea of using my iPad and having the auto page turn option when reading the dots, I thought it may make life a little easier, and of course I can store my whole collection on my 128gb pad so no messing about with sheets.

Having tried a few alternative wifi dongles on my s970, it's obvious that Yamaha only intend their own branded dongles to work such as
the UD-WL01. So although it's listed as an official accessory for the 970/770 models etc. before I order one, can anyone confirm that the UD-WL01 does indeed work okay on the 970/770 ? as I assume it should do.

Secondly, for those that do use their iPad/tablet in this way, what's your favourite app, for displaying the score, and for auto page turning. ? Assuming I have choices of apps of course.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It is very unlikely that any other USB wireless adapter will work. I found internal photos of the UD-WL01 here: https://fccid.io/A6RUDWL01/Internal-Photos/Internal-photos-3364118

From what I can tell, it has a Rohm BP3580 wireless chip on it. This is no ordinary wireless USB chip - it has the TCP/IP stack onboard and serves as a wireless to serial port bridge. https://fscdn.rohm.com/en/products/...r_module/wireless_lan_module/bp3580_npb-e.pdf

The chip itself is $37, even in bulk: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/rohm-semiconductor/BP3580/5721056

This is not the kind if wireless chip you're going to find in a standard USB/Wifi adapter, which relies on the host computer/device having a TCP/IP stack.

Ask a Question