Want a 'fun' weighted board...

Reaction score
One Man Band is very minimalistic, and according to the App Store, it hasn't been updated for 2 years...

Reaction score
Now that you're leaning toward the MX88, looking again at your "low end" list that you posted in the earlier thread...

Low end :
- Kross 2 88 : I'm still drawn to this board, it's cool and a lot of capabilities, but the keybed is not ideal
- MX88 : I've played the GHS on a P125 and it's not too bad, a tad better than Korg's NH
- Juno DS 88 : best keybed of the three, as Roland's Ivory Feel G is very close to the current PHA4 ; however, not the newest kid on the block

I'm not saying it's necessarily important, but in a sense, the MX88 is probably the oldest kid on the block. Sonically, it is a scaled-down version of the Motif XS which came out in 2007. The Motif XS had 355 mb of sample data, and you could put 2 effects each on up to 8 sounds at a time. The MX has a 155 mb subset of that same sample data, and you can put 1 effect each on up to 4 sounds at a time. So the MX uses a reduced version of a 14 year old sound set. Though it still sounds good, becase, well, Yamahas have always sounded good. The Korg and Roland, while also having "legacy" sounds, also have sounds that are newer, and both also have more total features than the Yamaha. But as to which sounds better, which has features you care about, and which is easier to use, that's all more subjective.

I had also mentioned the Casio PX560, have you looked at that? I think it's an easier, more "fun" board than the MX88. If you look at videos, you can also look at videos for the PX360 and CGP-700, since operationally, those boards are subsets of the PX560.

Something to keep in mind with the MX88 is that there is very limited functionality from the front panel... you can't split/layer more than two sounds, you can't significantly edit the sounds... to do those things you need to use a computer editor. There was a free editor for a while, but I think the company that made it is gone. That leaves the tools from John Melas, which are very good, albeit an added expense. But you also have to decide if you're okay with having to go to the computer for so many operations that other boards can do from their own panels. On the other side, I would not be at all surprised if you determined that the Yamaha was the best sounding board of the bunch.

Reaction score
Purely listening to the sounds, I like the MX88 the best, and that's being honest. The Kross 2 is a very close second, though. I like the DS the least of all, which doesn't mean at all it doesn't sound good. As with the touch of a keyboard, this is very subjective.

I don't believe that a lot of built-in capabilities are a must for me. To be completely honest the MX88 is at the top of my list now, but I also haven't completely written off the Kross 2 yet. Still, both of these sound really good to me, and I know I will not get into deep sound editing. Sequencing can be done in Garageband or Cubase, and there's a choice of DAW's for both iOS and Mac.
Plus the MX is cool, with integration of the FM Essentials app (which is more than just a gimmick) ; the Kross 2 as a whole is a cool board, full stop. Cool and fun, those are the keywords. And as simple a setup as possible.
I'll think about it some more, it'll most probably be the MX, but there's a tiny chance that I might go and get a Kross 2 88 again.

About that PX560 : haven't played one myself, but I have seen a lot of videos and read a lot on the net and it really does seem to have a very very noisy keybed. And that is definitly a deal-breaker for me. Plus, even if did consider it, you can't find one anymore, they're sold out everywhere I look.

Reaction score
Purely listening to the sounds, I like the MX88 the best, and that's being honest. The Kross 2 is a very close second, though. I like the DS the least of all, which doesn't mean at all it doesn't sound good. As with the touch of a keyboard, this is very subjective.
I agree, Yamahas sound great.

About that PX560 : haven't played one myself, but I have seen a lot of videos and read a lot on the net and it really does seem to have a very very noisy keybed. And that is definitly a deal-breaker for me. Plus, even if did consider it, you can't find one anymore, they're sold out everywhere I look.
You're in the U.K., right? It might be a regional thing, they're readily available at all the big US outlets. Yes, the keys are noisy. OTOH, I think they have a better feel than the actions in the MX88, Kross/Krome 88, Juno DS 88. Trade-offs. I would say the Yamaha sounds better though, except I'd probably give Casio the edge on the EPs, especially with the optional ones you can download for it. But the main reason I suggested considering it (if it were available) is that I think it ranks highly on the fun and easy factors.

Reaction score
Something else to bear in mind is software.

The Korg Kross 2 does have its Editor software which is pretty powerful as a standalone item yet integrates with a DAW.

Not sure if similar is available for the MX or Casio

Reaction score
Kross and Juno DS have free Mac/PC editors from the manufacturer. MX has a paid editor from a third party. PX560 does not have an editor, though it is the easiest of the four to edit from its own screen, it has a nice touchscreen (though the model is not available where Kaneda is anyway). I don't know anything about integrating editors with a DAW.

Reaction score
@anotherscott
I live in Belgium, actually, very close to the UK in fact, where I have next of kin, but due to Brexit, a bit further away again...
The PX560 is nowhere to be found, not in any brick and mortar store, not in any of the major local or European online retailers.
I agree that the PX560 seems like a cool board but as I’ve said, the noisy key action really is a deal breaker for me...

Reaction score
Been thinking again (sigh...)
What if I did the 'sensible' thing by just keeping my MP11SE, and added some 'fun' to it ?
It has lots of MIDI capabilities so maybe I could do something with that...

I'm thinking Arturia Keylab 61 Mk2, comes with loads of sounds, and I assume I could do a lot of the things I wanted to do with either of the boards I talked about, in software. And the Arturia has enough hands-on controls to drive all that.
MIDI is still not my forte but I'm willing to learn.
Perhaps a board like the MX88 would be a lot of fun in the beginning but could potentially become a limiting factor should I get a taste for mixing and editing, and so on.
As far as the MP11SE goes, I already have the best piano controller there is, so why wouldn't I take advantage of it. And something like the Arturia would give me some extra to play with, without having to sacrifice a terrific action on my Kawai (and I've got the feeling I somehow might regret selling it).

Does anyone have any experience with Arturia Keylab controllers and the software ?

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 'fun' board with 88 weighted keys, basically.

The why, how etc. has been discussed here but I thought it'd be better to continue in a new thread without further hijacking the other thread...

So, here goes. Basically, selling my MP11SE and looking for a 'fun' replacement with good weighted action and lots of features.
Shortlist up till now :

Affordable:
- Roland FA08
- Yamaha MODX8
- Korg Krome EX 88

Too expensive (but considering nonetheless) :
- Roland Fantom 8
- Yamaha Montage 8
- Korg Kronos 88/Nautilus 88

Also looking at MIDI controllers to use with a DAW (Studiologic SL Grand, NI Komplete Kontrol S88, Arturia Keylab MKII, etc) but not really too keen on those.
I'm continuing to watch various videos and tutorials on all boards. Favourites for the moment are the FA08 and MODX8.

All suggestions welcome, though...
If you want a really good midi controller that won't break your bank, pick up a used Kurzweil PC88 or PC88MX. Even the PC2s are very affordable these days. It would give you the weighted keys you desire, some pretty good sounds and a ton of midi controls. You can probably grab a Kurzweil PC88 for around $300-$400 if you shop around on Ebay or Reverb. I have kept mine just as a controller to this amazing rack array I built. So I am controlling these rack modules via one keyboard
Emu-Vintage Keys
Emu-Vintage Keys Pro
Yamaha Motif
Korg M1
Alesis QS4
Roland JP8080
and two effect processors
So that is a ton of functionality in one inexpensive keyboard

Reaction score
If you want a really good midi controller that won't break your bank, pick up a used Kurzweil PC88 or PC88MX. Even the PC2s are very affordable these days. It would give you the weighted keys you desire, some pretty good sounds and a ton of midi controls. You can probably grab a Kurzweil PC88 for around $300-$400 if you shop around on Ebay or Reverb. I have kept mine just as a controller to this amazing rack array I built. So I am controlling these rack modules via one keyboard
Emu-Vintage Keys
Emu-Vintage Keys Pro
Yamaha Motif
Korg M1
Alesis QS4
Roland JP8080
and two effect processors
So that is a ton of functionality in one inexpensive keyboard

Those used Kurzweils will be as easy to find as a needle in a haystack, literally. Heck, there not even easy to come by new...

At first, I was looking at something simple, to replace my MP11SE, like a MX88 to be used with the FM Essentials app, and Cubasis or Garageband on iOS.
But then I got thinking that I could get something with a lot more potential for around the same price, and I immediately thought of the Arturia Keylab 88 MK2. Comes with a ton of sounds and software by default.
But if I should go the route of a MIDI controller, and I want a weighted keyboard, then why not add just the controller to my MP11SE ?
Hence my question about the Keylab 61 MK2...

Anyone at all have an idea of how this setup could work optimally ?
I've already got studio monitors, a Behringer Q502 USB mixer and a Overhub USB hub. I'm reading up a bit on MIDI but I'd like some insights.
For example, how to connect everything optimally for use with a DAW on either my Macbook Pro or iMac ? If I'm not mistaken, I could reconfigure the soft and sostenuto pedal on my GFP3 to accept MIDI input from an external source.
I assume that means I wouldn't have to buy an extra sustain pedal for the Keylab. Or am I wrong ?
And there are more question of course, for example should I hook up everything using USB or better via 5-pin MIDI, etc., integration with the DAW, using MIDI zones on the Kawai, etc.

I know it's a lot, but I'd be much obliged...

Reaction score
You already have the MP11SE and the computer, there's no need to buy the Arturia Keylab at this point, especially when you're not yet certain this is the way you want to go. (And unlike trying out a keyboard and returning it if you don't like it, software-based stuff may be unreturnable as soon as you open/install it.) Just start with some low cost software and run it from your Kawai, and get your feet wet.

Reaction score
Those used Kurzweils will be as easy to find as a needle in a haystack, literally. Heck, there not even easy to come by new...

At first, I was looking at something simple, to replace my MP11SE, like a MX88 to be used with the FM Essentials app, and Cubasis or Garageband on iOS.
But then I got thinking that I could get something with a lot more potential for around the same price, and I immediately thought of the Arturia Keylab 88 MK2. Comes with a ton of sounds and software by default.
But if I should go the route of a MIDI controller, and I want a weighted keyboard, then why not add just the controller to my MP11SE ?
Hence my question about the Keylab 61 MK2...

Anyone at all have an idea of how this setup could work optimally ?
I've already got studio monitors, a Behringer Q502 USB mixer and a Overhub USB hub. I'm reading up a bit on MIDI but I'd like some insights.
For example, how to connect everything optimally for use with a DAW on either my Macbook Pro or iMac ? If I'm not mistaken, I could reconfigure the soft and sostenuto pedal on my GFP3 to accept MIDI input from an external source.
I assume that means I wouldn't have to buy an extra sustain pedal for the Keylab. Or am I wrong ?
And there are more question of course, for example should I hook up everything using USB or better via 5-pin MIDI, etc., integration with the DAW, using MIDI zones on the Kawai, etc.

I know it's a lot, but I'd be much obliged...
I wasn't sure what playing situation you were trying for. When I think of a midi controller I want something not only that can deal with different types of bank select messages, but ton of configurable controls. Just having any keyboard transmit midi program and key data can be done with a $20 casio. I have several rigs for different types of gigs including the larger workstations ie Kronos,Oasys or Kurzweil PC3. But when you buy synth modules, you want as many easy to remember controls controls as you can get. Otherwise you really never get to hear what these modules can do. I know these days people are leaning to the Macbook with just a controller or two. I might go to such a rig myself eventually. The latency and reliability issues associated with this approach are a thing of the past. But I am an old school player. You can seriously create some huge sounds stacking midi channels. Considering a single Kurzweil program alone can have 32 layers. Imagine when you start triggering several layered setups at once. But then again, it all depends on your playing situation.

Reaction score
When I think of a midi controller I want something not only that can deal with different types of bank select messages, but ton of configurable controls. Just having any keyboard transmit midi program and key data can be done with a $20 casio.
That's true. But since he already owns the MP11SE (and since no low cost controller is likely to feel nearly as good to play), one could also add something like a Korg NanoKontrol ($75) to get a bunch of configurable knobs, sliders, and buttons if/when desired.

Reaction score
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is keybed action. I don't like the Yamaha GHS, which goes in all their lower-mid boards with weighted keys. Taking a step back, it's not that I dislike it per se. I had a old YPG with that action for 10 years, and it felt good enough to me, on the light side but good. But I felt it didn't hold up well, it got progressively more clickity-clackity over the years, especially in the middle where the keys got played the most. I tried a MOFX8 at GC when I shopped a few years ago. It had been on the floor a while and felt, well, familiarly loosey-goosey.

I got the Juno DS88. I think the keys feel much more solid, and they still do, 3 years later. I like it well, it does way more than I know how. The FA8 has the same Ivory G-feel keybed.

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, I could reconfigure the soft and sostenuto pedal on my GFP3 to accept MIDI input from an external source.

The pedals on a keyboard don't accept MIDI, they are used to send MIDI. AFAIK, that pedal unit only works with a Kawai (i.e. it would not work on an Arturia, nor could it be connected directly to the computer, it can only be used when attached to the Kawai).

Assuming you use the MP11SE (with that pedal assembly attached) as a MIDI controller for your computer, you would be able to redefine what you wanted the pedals to do on the computer side.

Reaction score
Continuing on the path of MIDI controllers, I have been looking at several options for the past few days and I have been trying out different DAWs in trial mode.
First of all, I'm going to keep the MP11SE. It's a wonderful board and I know I'd be sorry if I sold it.
I will, however, get mysefl a MIDI controller but I won't be throwing it into a mix with the Kawai just yet. A 61 key controller for use on my desktop, in combination with either my Macbook or iMac, is what I have my eyes on. I've looked at 88 key controllers but they're really too big for desktop use, and I don't really need another 88 weighted board to do the things i want to do.

The fun part ? Well, messing around with MIDI, sounds, a DAW, some music creation, etc. I have let go of the initial idea of a simple setup (MX88 or equal). I guess with a MIDI controller and software, you can make it as simple or as complicated as you want, i.e. I can start simple and will have the option to grow and expand. Plus, it won't break the bank immediately.
Also, once I get more confident with MIDI setups in general, I can always throw the MP11SE back into the mix as I will have my desk and my MP11SE in a L-shaped setup my study (studio, ahem), so it'll always be within arms (or fingers) reach...

Now, as far as controllers go, I have narrowed it down to three models, as keybed quality is of the utmost importance ; I don't want clickety clack synth keys so a good semi-weighted keybed was the first requirement.
As for a DAW, been trying out trials of Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Presonus Studio One, Cubase, FL Studio, Reaper, Reason and Bitwig.
They're all nice in their own right, and have their respective strenghts and weaknesses, and they offer more or less the same functionality albeit implemented in different ways, but ultimately the deciding factor for me personally is the user interface, which is what I'll be looking at mostly and which defines the user-friendliness in the end.

So, Logic and Ableton are the two contestants ; their respective interfaces are indeed very different, but I like both, so I'm willing to learn either of them (although, of course, I can start off with Garageband and Ableton Lite, no need to splash out immediately).
As for the boards : Novation SL61 MK3, Arturia Keylab 61 MK2 and Native Instruments S61 MK2. They're all around the 600 euro mark, except the Arturia, a bit cheaper around 500 euro.

From what I've read and seen on Youtube, the Komplete Kontrol seems to have the best keybed by far. Apparently it's supposed to be a Fatar TP9 but don't quote me on that. Some reviews say it's a very quiet keybed, but on the other hand, I've seen videos on the Numa Compact 2x, which also has a Fatar TP9, and that didn't really sound quiet to me (perhaps @Biggles could clear this up, although as with a great many things, this is very subjective, and I have to stop expecting every keybed to be as quiet as my MP11SE).
The S61 comes packed with sounds, all of which are of outstanding quality ; integration with Ableton and Logic is also second to none. However, negative points would be that you're kind of locked into the Native Instruments universe and their expansion sound packs aren't exactly cheap ; you already get a substantial library with it, though and if you couple it with Logic, sounds and samples is not what will be lacking. Also, the Kontrol software apparently works as a 'bridge' between the controller and your DAW and I've heard comments of lagging problems because of this. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.
The S61 features two displays from which you can control lots of stuff, without having to use your keyboard and mouse. Plus, they are certainly eye-catching ! This board doesn't come with any DAW as far as I can tell, so I guess I could start of with Garageband (Native Instruments offers the same integration as with Logic).

I assume Arturia uses Fatar as well (and why shouldn't they, they're both Italian companies). Reviews also claim that the keybed feels very nice to play but a bit lighter when compared to the Komplete Kontrol. Included software and sounds are incredible as well, with Analog Lab, V-Piano, etc.
Sturdy construction as well, only board of the three that's made of metal, so solid quality feel, and one can only assume the keybed follows suit. It integrates perfectly with Ableton Live (Lite version is included) but also offers deep integration with Logic and other DAWs (I like the magnetic overlays for each DAW, very nice touch).
There are also more onboard controls in the form of sliders and pads (this could be remedied on the Kontrol with a Maschine Micro, but at an extra cost, of course, but it's not a must). Ableton Live Lite is bundled so would be starting off with either this or Garageband.
Overall, a great package and about 100 euro cheaper than the other two.

Last but not least, the Novation SL61 MK3, a very cool board which, in terms of hands-on controls, features everything but the kitchen sink. It also features the LED light guides, same as the Kontrol S61. Plus, built-in step sequencer and arpeggiator, from what I've seen, seems like fun. This board was made for Ableton live and is in fact a perfect match, but that doesn't immediately rule out Logic since there's deep integration for that as well (although, apparently, not as full featured as Ableton). Since Ableton Live Lite is bundled, and the whole board breathes Ableton, I guess it would be 'Logical' to go that route (no pun intended). Keybed quality is very good, as far as reviews go, but again, very subjective. The only board where the quality of keybed is emphasized more than once, is the Komplete Kontrol, as it apparently feels a bit heavier than the other two, which supposedly makes it somewhat better for piano style playing).

I realize than I'm a novice when it comes to MIDI, controllers and software sounds, but a setup like this will give me the chance to learn AND have fun in the process. They all come with enough bells and whistles to get me started (and to keep me occupied for a long time). Plus, it would be an experience that's completely separate from my MP11SE (which I will still jam on) and from my 'zen' space where I play my CA58.

Unfortunately, there are no stores in my area that sell these boards, not that I know of, so Thomann would be my choice. No possibility of trying any of these boards out beforehand, though. And I'm not even taking all the covid restrictions into account.
And this time, I would like to be 100% sure before I buy one particular board, instead of taking the chance of being disappointed with my purchase and sending it back :p
As always, though, will appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The TP/9 action on my Numa is quieter than the GHS action of the Yamaha P121 that I had.

No way is mine clacky in any way, which is exactly what I found with the Kawai ES110 that I tried but the MP7SE that was also in the showroom did have a good feel to the keybed but it was quite a bit noisier than the Yamaha P125 or Roland FP that was also on display.

Yes, its subjective but the NI Komplete S series has for me the best keybed feel of any MIDI controller I have tried, that said they do work best with their own software and I did find reports of problematic DAW integration hence do check this out.

Last time I was in my local music store I did the rounds of the MIDI keyboard controllers, they had the S61 on display and a trio of Novation units, the feel of their keybeds did reflect on the price.

I seem to remember an Arturia Keylab was also on display but after having had an Essential (sold because of poor build and yuk keybed) the build quality of the Keylab did not seem to be replicated in its higher price.

A Roland A800 that I had was a very robust well built unit that integrated well with my old Windows laptop but the latency of the laptop could not be resolved. The A800 worked very well with the iPad and a host of different Apps. I connected it up to my Wife’s iMac and had a bit of trouble getting it sorted but a pro Musician (Reese for Scott’s benefit) on the MPN forum gave me a step by step instruction of how to set it up, and once done it worked very well with Garage Band and Mainstage. I returned the Roland and bought the Yamaha.

Reaction score
You're right about the ES110 and MP7SE, those keybeds, RHC and RHIII respectively, feel great but they really are noisy, especially when compared to the GF1 in my MP11SE. But these are all hammer action weighted keybeds.

As far as the Komplete Kontrol goes, I can't really find any negative comments as far as the keybed is concerned so i'm heavily leaning towards that one. The Arturia, well, looks nice on paper, and it's cheaper than the others ; it's made of metal, though, more expensive than plastic, so seeing the Keylab is 100 euro cheaper than the other two, I wonder where they had to compromise to sell at that price...

You say the feel of the keybeds on those Novations reflected on the price. Do you mean they felt cheap ? Because the SL61 MK3 supposedly has a newly developed keybed, and is semi-weighted, like the Kontrol. Do you happen to remember whether it was this one ?

Also, I suspect I will need an audio interface to connect my iLoud Micro Monitors to it all. Any recommendations ? Good quality but not too dear. I'm not a pro, after all...

Last edited:
Reaction score
The most expensive Novation I looked at was an SL mk3 at about £550, it felt a quality item.

The others were the Launchkey and the Impulse, I liked the price of the Impulse as well as the overall build and keybed, the Launchkey was more of a budget price driven unit.

I was quite surprised that the shop had all three on display but it was nearly 15 months ago since I was in the shop, you can look them up, Music Matter, they did not have an Impulse in stock and delivery was unknown so I went with the Roland which I bought from a different store.

Certainly the NI S is for me the quality pick at this price point the only downside I suppose is its lack of buttons/sliders/pads etc v its competitors
438E3C3B-F81D-48CC-A594-062F5242860C.jpeg
C8FD48B1-BFF1-45B7-8E13-AC8BADA91DD5.jpeg

Reaction score
I'm going to try and get some more info about the Novation and Komplete Kontrol. Think I've more or less forgotten about the Arturia.
The Novation really has everything you need as far as hands-on controls go, but the integration with Ableton goes very deep and I think that I might be taking on more than I can chew.
The S61 seems more beginner/user friendly and the lack of pads can be remedied by adding a Maschine Mikro MK3 to the mix, of course at an extra cost. Slider functions can be replaced by using the knobs, I guess, so as a novice, I don't really mind whether I have to use knobs or sliders.
I'm learning, really.

The Komplete Kontrol package seems very appealing but at a higher cost. The Novation has all you need integrated on the board but there will be a steeper learning curve to take full use of the board (controlling hardware synths using the CV ports is most certainly not on my wish list, no knowledge of that and don't reallly want to dabble)...

I will need an audio interface, not really sure what to get. Just need to be able to connect my iLoud speakers and not have distorted sound so prefer not to hook them up to the headphone out socket of my computer...

Ask a Question