What are you listening to right now?

Reaction score
I bought the album by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds the other day and have been listening to it today - there are some really catchy tracks on there.

Just listened to If I Had A Gun:

How about you?
This is not my style of music I listen too.

Reaction score
Mark Tremonte sings Frank Sinatra.

If you know Mark from his prior band affiliations you probably will say, yeah the guy can play some guitar so I'll pass...he probably can't sing the songs the way they should be sung. Well you would be wrong. Not only can he sing, very nice and smooth in the spirit of old blue eyes, he has gone way out side the box all because of his daughter Stella. I will leave it up to you to read the back story of this project. The backing orchestra is big lush and full, some are former band members of the chairman of the boards backing band. If you like the music of Frank Sinatra you will enjoy this collection of 14 of his best known songs. There are a few missing so I hope that means Mark will add a volume two in the future.

Oogie Wa Wa

Nate, bass and keys for The Feds Band
Reaction score
Motown songs! I'm trying to pick 3 or 4 really good ones for our band to add to the arsenal. It's a genre we're sorely lacking.

I'll probably do the singing; lots of harmonies and countermelodies for the guys to work on!

So far I have it narrowed down to about 38!!! I've got to trim that down, but they're all so GOOD!!! I grew up with that stuff!!!

Any suggestions for tunes that are 1. Extremely dance-able, and 2. "Epic," "Iconic," "I can't believe you guys played that! (Especially for a 3-piece band)" would be sincerely appreciated.

Oogie Wa Wa

Nate, bass and keys for The Feds Band
Reaction score
REACH OUT, I'LL BE THERE (4 TOPS)
AINT NO SUNSHINE. (BILL WITHERS)
Agreed with you guys, iconic indeed.

But I've determined that if I'm going to get these guys to play anything, I'll need to bring that and danceability. And another factor I personally want, something that's really upbeat, driving and just plain fun to listen to!

Get Ready by the Temps seems to hit everything, and Rare Earth covered it (also on the Motown label.) So there's hope that my somewhat soul-impared band mates can handle it, lol!!!

Another one I'm considering after a lot of listening is You Can't Hurry Love by Diana Ross and the Supremes. Meets the criteria. Great tune. Likewise Phil Collins covered it.

(Bass player trivia, sorry, have to!...) Although I'll keep Jameson's bass line, being a bass player. Interestingly, there's actually only one slight difference between the two lines that probably only a bass player would notice. The line "No, you'll just have to wait" goes from a C to an E chord and back. "just have to" is a triplet, I believe; on the Collins' version they're all three bass Es. On the original the first two are Es, and the third one, on "to," goes back to the C, leading when everyone else goes on "wait.". A little anacrusis thrown in there cleverly, that's what made him great. Collins' bass player did it different just to pay tribute to Jameson. In fact the whole recording was done that way, many of the instruments, particularly the drums, were found with similar timbres to the original. BPTrivia off!

Also considering Do You Love Me by the Contours. Or perhaps Shotgun by Jr. Walker and the All-stars. If your feet don't move to Do You Love Me, you're technically deceased or might as well be.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it was a great opportunity. Thanks, and Carry On.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Had too much bat's blood punch this year. Still on a Halloween Hangover...

halloween-20221031T135050-0003.JPG

Reaction score
I'm diggin' this right now! No click track, no auto-tune. It's played live off the floor and sounds just freaking perfect! These young guns nail it!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Tyler Bryant and the Shakedown . . . Cool Man!!
I like that sound! A little ZZ Top and a mix of rockin'blues . .
I give that clip a thumbs up, Never heard of them!
- Ray

Ask a Question