What are you listening to right now?

Reaction score
1) Larkin Po - Blood Harmony - best contemporary blues album. I've followed these sisters for several years. This is a good album but sadly, self produced, IMHO it could have been a top all-time album with a little experienced production. Still, it's hard to stop listening again and again.
2) Beatles Esher Demo - this came bundled with the White Album. It's fun to hear John trying to sound like Elvis and Paul trying to do Little Richard on a few early takes. After that, there are tracks of varying maturity and it's interesting to see how different the original material could be from the finished result that we're familiar with. And there are some tracks where they're trying to crack 3 part harmony and even one where they went for 4 part harmony.
3) Eva Cassidy a 3 disc collection plus a video and a 4th bootleg collection. Everyone should know Eva. The first time I heard Eva - my wife got a bootleg disc - I was stopped in my tracks, Many good singers perform the Eva Cassidy version of songs and if you listen carefully you can hear it (just like you can hear Frank Zappa/Steve Vai in modern guitar work). Sadly, a lot of material was lost: they booked two nights at a local pub but the first night's recording was lost due to technical difficulties, although the video disc caught some of this performance; Eva was sick on the second night but still made a pretty good effort. Some of her best stuff is just her over her inexpensive Songbird guitar with its somewhat metallic ring but her arrangements and playing are as great as her singing.
4) Beatles Rubber Soul. Honestly, I didn't think much of early Beatles 'pop-er-most' stuff and then they did this. Where did they get this? Carl Perkins - yes, Everly Brothers - likely, Brian Wilson - maybe. From time to time I binge this little bit of acoustic cleansing. There are examples of the best things one can do with 3 chords and then there's 'In My Life', IMHO the best pop song ever.
5) Okay, never saw this coming (I once had a chance to get their autographs and didn't), Fleetwood Mac on video. I particularly loop material featuring Christine McVie because of her effective keyboard work which is accessible to a mediocre keyboard player such as myself: it's sufficiently complex to be a challenge but possible and satisfying when it works. To me it sounds like there's a smidgen of Roger Kramer ... good luck with that!

Reaction score
1) Larkin Po - Blood Harmony - best contemporary blues album. I've followed these sisters for several years. This is a good album but sadly, self produced, IMHO it could have been a top all-time album with a little experienced production. Still, it's hard to stop listening again and again.
2) Beatles Esher Demo - this came bundled with the White Album. It's fun to hear John trying to sound like Elvis and Paul trying to do Little Richard on a few early takes. After that, there are tracks of varying maturity and it's interesting to see how different the original material could be from the finished result that we're familiar with. And there are some tracks where they're trying to crack 3 part harmony and even one where they went for 4 part harmony.
3) Eva Cassidy a 3 disc collection plus a video and a 4th bootleg collection. Everyone should know Eva. The first time I heard Eva - my wife got a bootleg disc - I was stopped in my tracks, Many good singers perform the Eva Cassidy version of songs and if you listen carefully you can hear it (just like you can hear Frank Zappa/Steve Vai in modern guitar work). Sadly, a lot of material was lost: they booked two nights at a local pub but the first night's recording was lost due to technical difficulties, although the video disc caught some of this performance; Eva was sick on the second night but still made a pretty good effort. Some of her best stuff is just her over her inexpensive Songbird guitar with its somewhat metallic ring but her arrangements and playing are as great as her singing.
4) Beatles Rubber Soul. Honestly, I didn't think much of early Beatles 'pop-er-most' stuff and then they did this. Where did they get this? Carl Perkins - yes, Everly Brothers - likely, Brian Wilson - maybe. From time to time I binge this little bit of acoustic cleansing. There are examples of the best things one can do with 3 chords and then there's 'In My Life', IMHO the best pop song ever.
5) Okay, never saw this coming (I once had a chance to get their autographs and didn't), Fleetwood Mac on video. I particularly loop material featuring Christine McVie because of her effective keyboard work which is accessible to a mediocre keyboard player such as myself: it's sufficiently complex to be a challenge but possible and satisfying when it works. To me it sounds like there's a smidgen of Roger Kramer ... good luck with that!
Rubber Soul fights with Abbey Road for me as which is the best Beatles album. I did really enjoy their earliest records but then again, I grew up with them.
Larkin Poe. A fun band. Have you checked out Tyler Bryant and the Shakedown? Tyler is married to one of the Larkin Poe sisters. The one who doesn't play slide.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The White Album and Sgt Pepper are my equal Beatles best.
Not familiar with Larkin Po . I took a look since female vocal and blues are a gem combo in my mind. Larkin Po fig the bill. Very good.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I always thought the Stones were gutzier and more creative than the Beatles.

But my soul belongs to progressive rock ;)

My Votes for best albums of the 70's goes to these guys:

Reaction score
I bought the album by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds the other day and have been listening to it today - there are some really catchy tracks on there.

Just listened to If I Had A Gun:

How about you?
Pink Floyd's The Delicate Sound of Thunder. Thoroughly enjoy this live album.

Reaction score
Don't know why I said Roger Kramer, that's sports; hopefully. anyone who's ever let a finger slide off a key would know I meant Floyd Cramer.

Ask a Question