What is the MIDI connection for exactly?

Reaction score
I am new to this altogether and the way I had in mind was to have the computer as a panel whereby I can create and select different sets of user tones and rhythms.
Also to be able to record and overlay music played to create a piece.

Am I wrong and what would I need in the way of cheap software (PC) to get me going please.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

Reaction score
What type of MIDI connector does your keyboard have? Newer models use USB and hook directly to a PC. Older models use DIN connectors and require an adapter cable (DIN to USB) and generally need a driver for your keyboard. I only know of a couple free DAW's which are Garageband and Audacity but there may be more. I use Reaper which is quite cheap for a very nice DAW.

What kind of sounds are you looking for? There is a lot of virtual instrument software to choose from online.

Reaction score
Think of it as a digital link.

Press a note and information as to the note, its duration and the velocity of how fast the key is depressed is sent to the computer and recorded in a DAW.

No analogue signal is sent, only digital, and this can be via an A to B USB lead (printer lead), or via a round 5 pin connector via a dedicated interface to a computer. So for your keyboard connect it to your computer via a USB lead.

On the computer a DAW is installed and this is the recording and playback software. Cakewalk, Logic Pro, Reason, Ableton are just a few of those available. A free DAW is Cakewalk by BandLab or if you have a Mac then Garage Band. If you have an iPad there is a lot you can do fairly inexpensively, lets us know if you want more info.

There are links to useful sites in threads here and Google will give you thousands of links.

Reaction score
I am new to this altogether and the way I had in mind was to have the computer as a panel whereby I can create and select different sets of user tones and rhythms.
Also to be able to record and overlay music played to create a piece.

Am I wrong and what would I need in the way of cheap software (PC) to get me going please.

Thanks in advance.

Terry
Start with this link, read thoroughly.

musicianshq.com

A Beginner’s Guide To MIDI: What Is It? How Does It Work? | Musician's HQ

MIDI is a word you will see thrown around a lot when reading about recording music at home. As a beginner, I owned and used a…
musicianshq.com
musicianshq.com

Ask a Question