What should I look for?

Reaction score
I need guidance. I am looking for a keyboard to purchase that has full size keys, so that I can easily transfer to a piano without much difficulty. One thing I would like is the option to download tutorials from a database to learn a new piece of music. I just want to learn a few songs, and a good tutorial mode would be really helpful.

I don't know how to play any musical instruments and I don't know any terminology associated with what I want to do. I guess the two main things I can think of is that the keys are the same size roughly as a piano, and a database to look for the music I want to learn. I just don't know what to look for and avoid mistakes. I figure there should be something for under $300. Any help would be appreciated, especially if there is something I've not considered. Thanks, Patrick

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, but that has nothing to do with the question. I will look elsewhere for an answer.

Reaction score
If you are determined to do this yourself, I would suggest one of Alfred's adult books for piano:
http://www.alfred.com/Products/ProductListing.aspx?q=basic adult piano course&v=TitleForSorting

If you want a keyboard with built in lessons, the Yamaha's have pretty good reviews, and the YPG-235 is one of the nicer feeling beginner keyboards with a decent amount of keys. The PSR-333 is a good choice, a little less expensive, a few less keys, but a decent and inexpensive beginner keyboard.

I am just learning piano (taking lessons, also taking theory class and Alfred's adult theory book is really self explanatory and great). I got a used Casio Privia which has keys that actually feel like a piano. They are about $300 and up used, or $700 and up new. They are the best value for keyboards with real piano action (weighted hammers). I wasn't planning on taking piano lessons but it seemed to make sense after starting to learn theory, and it is a ton of fun and the best way to learn.

Ask a Question