What to buy???

Reaction score
That's an excellent advise and
The problem is, for a novice, when it comes to playing along to accompany yourself, 1 or 2 finger accompaniment is a blessing to get you up to speed quickly.

If you think a professional arranger is overkill then what do you think a $2000 workstation is?

Seriously, an arranger like a PA-700 with expandable, downloadable style files is ideal for what you want to do.

Your prejudices aside, they come from a lack of information.

It's never a good idea to wake up one morning and say to yourself "I know nothing about keyboards. I want to buy the best one ever made today."

Like everything else in life it takes research and preparation to make wise choices in life.

This thread has gone all over the map with you telling us what you don't like about particular keyboards.

Now you have to fish or cut bait, and I suggest you take the next few weeks and do a lot of bait cutting before the Black Friday sales.

Learn to clearly define your goals in music and act accordingly.

Gary ;)

Now that's an excellent advice and good observation regarding my prejudices.....!

Except, actually maybe I did not express myself correctly when I give you the impression that I find a professional arranger as an overkill... It is not that I find it overkill but rather 50% or more of an professional arranger filled with stuff that I don't think I will use more than 1% of the time.
Like I said, I don't think I need 400 or 500 rhtym patterns filled with 10 variations of Samba, Bossa Nova, Tango, Waltz, Country,Rock, Metal, etc each.... or 20 each pianos, E.Ps., Organs, etc...
So, what I meant that it is filled with so many things that I don't plan to use...

I don't know if you watched the Fantom X7 video I posted above... My goal is to make that kind of music mostly by layering out of this worldly sounds on top of each other.

But you are right, I'll read, ask and search more until Black Friday sale...
Thanks buddy!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just gave the Fantom clip a quick listen.

Any of the keyboards recommended in this thread can duplicate that sort of Passport/Kraftwerk/Tangerine Dream stuff.

The thing is, they're using PCM sampling to duplicate the Analog sounds that the Deepmind 6 I mentioned earlier does naturally.

Coupled with a bit of arpeggiation and some spatial effects any of the ROMplers I mentioned can do pretty much the same thing these days without breaking a sweat but the purists prefer to create analog sounds using an analog board like the deepmind or a moog these days.

One final caveat about the Fantom 7. It's dated but it still holds its own when it comes to soundscapes and voices but it's one heavy mother of a beast weighing in around 60 or 70 lbs.

There are better, more portable options these days than one of those monsters.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, a Bossa Nova rhythm can kick ass if you speed up or slow down the tempo and feed the bass riff to an analog synth via MIDI to create stuff that you never imagined possible, The same with any other "ho hum" rhythm if you tweak it a bit. :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
BTW, a Bossa Nova rhythm can kick ass if you speed up or slow down the tempo and feed the bass riff to an analog synth via MIDI to create stuff that you never imagined possible, The same with any other "ho hum" rhythm if you tweak it a bit. :D :D :D

Gary ;)

I agree on old monster X7 after researching a bit...
I am a simple man with simple taste. My music will be like a beautiful woman in a simple black dress...for example my favorite guitar solos are like the ones Dave Gilmour’s rather then some other guys’ shredding like crazy.

I will stick to the style of music like the X7 video I posted and similarly but slower Enya style oooohs and aaaahs... that’s why I wanted to have a large sound bank in order not to sound same for each one of my tunes...

I wish you were my next door neighbor! Any plans to move in CA???
;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And just to sum up. It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools. I have heard people render breathtaking music on a simple Casio and then there's people like myself, with $10K worth of gear producing utter crap :D :D :D

Give my tunes a listen in my signature and you'll see what I mean :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's my most recent example. The beat was supplied by a simple Alesis SR-18 Drum Box and then the magic happens in the studio by routing the bassline and other sounds to layer analog and PCM synths., :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's my current studio layout to give you an idea of what it takes to do this sort of recording once you really have a GAS Attack (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). :D

studio-flowchart.jpg

studio_flowchart_MIDI_USB_routing.jpg

Gary ;)

Reaction score
1) I know you were in CA too but I meant the warmer one!!! :)
2) I like your tune... Trust me none of our tunes will ever win the Best Soundtrack Oscar probably but rather give us pleasure...
3) It seems like you have too much of instruments, care to donate a few of them to this poor soul lives in warmer CA? ;)

I think my GAS attack after I'll have the first bite of my initial keyboard purchase...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
1) With global warming your CA is way too hot these days. Mine is just right. Besides, I've tasted LA tap water :p

2) Thanks for liking my tune. :)

3) I'll pass on the donation. I only give to the homeless :)

4) Give it time. GAS is contagious and fatal. But whatta way to go!!! :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
1) I am by San Francisco, water here is delicious...
2) Hey yours was better than mine... (At least for now, but wait until I get my keyboard than the race is on )
3) Where did you get the idea that I live in a home? Especially after buying expensive keyboards my wife will kick me out!
4) I'm sure I'll have GAS after my first taste of the initial keyboard I purchase... The rest will be your fault!

Seriously though, I liked the PA700... Can arrangers be loaded with more sounds?

Long story short, I know what my goal is; now the only problem to figure it out how to score?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Most arrangers can be loaded up with more styles. As far as patches go it depends on the make and model. The Yamaha Tyros Line allows for Sampling I think, but they are really spendy arrangers. Also the higher end PSR models. Not sure about the Korgs. Again I think it's how much you are willing to spend that matters there.

Personally I'm not an arranger guy, I tend to run workstations, but there are plenty of others here on the forum who run arrangers and hopefully they will chime in about the features of individual arrangers.

Otherwise, you've just got to start looking at the specs of the models in your price range to find out if they are expandable or not and in what ways.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary ;)[/QUOTE]
Most arrangers can be loaded up with more styles. As far as patches go it depends on the make and model. The Yamaha Tyros Line allows for Sampling I think, but they are really spendy arrangers. Also the higher end PSR models. Not sure about the Korgs. Again I think it's how much you are willing to spend that matters there.

Personally I'm not an arranger guy, I tend to run workstations, but there are plenty of others here on the forum who run arrangers and hopefully they will chime in about the features of individual arrangers.

Otherwise, you've just got to start looking at the specs of the models in your price range to find out if they are expandable or not and in what ways.

Gary ;)

Between arrangers I liked the Korg PA700. And at factory preset 1700 sounds I think it will be enough for me for a while.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ultimately before you buy, you should visit a few music stores and take some different models out for a test drive.

If not, then at least download the manuals and watch every youtube demo you can get your hands on to have a good idea of what you are getting.

Personally though, I agree that the Korg PA-700 will probably be more than enough keyboard to get you started.

Just remember that playing keys is not like any other instrument. The learning curve can be steep for some models and a good keyboard player has to be as much programmer as musician. Youtube can be an enormous help when it comes to getting up to speed quickly. Many manufacturers these days post complete series of tutorials explaining the most common features of their products these days.

Good luck Jim. Here's hoping you do well on Black Friday :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ultimately before you buy, you should visit a few music stores and take some different models out for a test drive.

If not, then at least download the manuals and watch every youtube demo you can get your hands on to have a good idea of what you are getting.

Personally though, I agree that the Korg PA-700 will probably be more than enough keyboard to get you started.

Just remember that playing keys is not like any other instrument. The learning curve can be steep for some models and a good keyboard player has to be as much programmer as musician. Youtube can be an enormous help when it comes to getting up to speed quickly. Many manufacturers these days post complete series of tutorials explaining the most common features of their products these days.

Good luck Jim. Here's hoping you do well on Black Friday :)

Gary ;)

Thank you Gary... I agree 100% what you said..
Luckily Guitar Center here have a 45 Day Return Policy with no question asked... So, If I buy a PA700 and still don't like it after a month or so trying, I can always return it back and get something else with no financial loss on my part.

I think about a month long trial at home can give me much better idea regarding the keyboard and my feeling towards it than just me trying for a few minute at the store..

One last thing: Some of these models like PA700 labeled as "Arranger Workstation".

I thought these were either Arranger or Workstation, does "Arranger Workstation" mean these models kind of a combination of two or is it strictly a marketing gimmick or simply mislabeling?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Alright then. Frankly I sometimes wonder how Guitar Centre stays in business with that policy but it does work out nicely if you aren't sure you've got what you like.

Just be careful with the cookie crumbs and beer when you're playing it :)

BTW, that brings up the issue of accessories and proper care.

DO pick up a dustcover along with your stand and also while you'd also need at least a sustain pedal I'd recommend getting an M-Audio SP-2 Sustain Pedal. Great pedal. Universal, works on all makes and models and very reasonably priced and built like the proverbial brick outhouse. The board comes with speakers built in so for the time being you can save on powered monitors that you won't need. Also you'd be advised to pick up a decent pair of 1/4" headphones if you don't own some already just so you won't drive your family crazy with practice sessions.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I already got a good pair of Sennheiser headset. I will go for the pedal you recommended. I edit my old post. Did you see my question regarding classification of this model? What the heck does that mean?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Missed the edit last time.

To be honest, some of it is just marketing bafflegab. Otherwise though, there's a lot of crossover between makes and models and there are no clearly defined lines as to which category a keyboard may or may not fit into.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just let your ears be your guide.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question