Yahama p-115 - with effects pedal

Reaction score
Hi!

I have recently purchased a Yahama P-115 digital piano with a Roland amp. Great absolutely love it. However, the only draw back is the lack of tones on the p-115.

Can anyone recommend an effects pedal (like you use with a guitar) that I could plug in to get a sound that plays the chorus riff on 'Gold on the ceiling - the Black Keys'? Its a very heavy synth sound.

Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Hi Stuey,
I'll be interested in anything on the P series too since I have a P-85. I soon after bought a roland JV 1080 external synth on ebay for about $200, not in any way that is the best thing to do, I don't know. I'm new here too and I just hadn't asked yet. I know almost nothing of the tech stuff and I still don't know how to sequence or anything or even if I can with this stuff. I also had a roland amp and I miss it.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I own one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-FX600-BEHRINGER-DIGITAL-MULTI-FX/dp/B000RVWY42

And one of these... Which seems to be discontinued but you may find old stock somewhere online.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/chor.../behringer-rm600-rotary-machine-effects-pedal

And Behringer makes a boatload of effects pedals for not too much money.

https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=behringer pedals&index=blended

That riff you mentioned by the Black keys though, that sounds to me like a phase shifted and distorted guitar, not a keyboard.

The pedals I linked however, would give you a real boost in available sounds and you have other options as well.

You both have other options as well. You could both hook up your yamaha's to computers and drive soft synths using the pianos as MIDI controllers and Alchemy, you could always use a direct MIDI hookup from the piano to the JV-1080 to control it from the piano or if you lack real MIDI ports on your Piano you could plug the piano's USB into the computer and the JJV-1080 as well using a USB to MIDI adapter to also plug into the computer and allow the computer to handle the MIDI routing using free software like MIDI YOKE from MIDIOX.

http://www.midiox.com/

Hope this helps guys :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
A digital piano is always going to limit you a bit if you're getting into synth sounds. Effects can only do so much.

You may wish to consider:
- driving a rack module or soft synths (as suggested by Gary) via midi
- buying a second keyboard to supplement your sounds

Opened a can of worms up there!

Reaction score
If I'm understanding you both correctly, yes I do run a midi cable from the p-85 to the 1080. I also run 2 midi interfaces (Yamaha UX16-usb to midi in and out) from PC to both. I have been switching connections if I want to run to PC for recording or recording sheet scores. I need a midi switch router or something. But I do need pedals to switch or maybe to sequence? I already have the sustain pedal. I did notice that the p-85 will switch the patches on the 1080 somehow but I don't understand it yet. The book is too thick :) On the 1080 I miss all the sliders and dials where I could zero in sounds. I never got further than the presets yet but I have to say that the presets are very nice.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's how you should hook it up. No need to juggle connections.

alchemy-midi-1.jpg

FX pedals go in the audio chain, not the MIDI chain.

Assignable pedals can be added if your keyboards allow them to.

Your Yamaha is sending MIDI program changes to the JV automatically. Depending on what channels you have the instruments set to send and receive you can isolate them by assigning each channel on the JV to a particular zone or controller on your yamaha.

You'll have to do some deep menu diving to find the options.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Wow Gary, thanks for spending the time. It looks too simple. I'll try it. Just to mention, I got some of my story mixed up and it wouldn't let me edit. I actually have been recording either mono out from the amp to PC sound card or stereo out from the JV to the PC sound card. For composing I use midi out/interface/ PC usb.

I just noticed how dirt cheap those behringers are but I guess I don't need one?

What do you guys think for Stuey if he did go full synth? The 1080 is like early-mid 90's I think. The 2080's or others might be just as cheap now. Not sure about differences. I saw several other rack modules (I called these "external synth" earlier). But, if I had been in this forum before I got the 1080 I might have just got a second keyboard instead with the bargain ideas being shown in the forum. I still might.

Reaction score
Gary, so far I didn't get it to work like that or at least playing a midi to the JV. It didn't work on "midi thru" either. It only worked to midi in. Nothing out of the p-85 either. I might try more settings later.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's a couple of flowcharts demonstrating how I have my own setup. The First one is the MIDI connections and the second one is my Audio hookup. My studio is currently dismantled for the move, but it should be able to give you an idea.

flowchart_MIDI_USB_routing.jpg

studio-flowchart.jpg

And finally here's a screenshot of Cakewalk Home Studio running under Linux WINE Windows Emulator demonstrating my routing, recording and playback processes.

linux-studio-desktop.jpg

I'd suggest doing some googling on how to use your DAW and particularly some youtube searches.

Videos explain things in ways that text and images simply cannot.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, with my setup I can configure all of the MIDI routing from my computer's desktop using a program called Catia and by selecting devices and channels from my Cakewalk DAW. ie. I can direct any MIDI track at any given device and/or channel.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ty Gary, I appreciate your time. I might have to wait a couple days. I'm probably going to be wrapped up now myself. In the meantime I did find something screwy in the midi player. I'm just using free stuff so far. I found a program through someones site which actually did have my synth and all the settings and I jumped to buy it til I saw the price. It was like 1700.00 I think. I looked at cakewalk but didn't get it for reasons I can't remember, maybe price vs uncertainty.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaper is a shareware DAW that never expires and Anvil Studio is a shareware DAW that is free for the basic version but costs extra for addons.

Take a look at these two programs and search youtube for tutorials on how to use them.

Lots of electronic musicians got their start with one of these programs.

And Cakewalk Music Creator 6 can be found on Amazon for under $40. It's professional enough you needn't even bother upgrading to Sonar unless you are looking to score a major hollywood film.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question