Yamaha GDX-640

Reaction score
Hi , I'm thinking of buying a new Yamaha GDX640. I have a Casio WK3000 that I like but it won't work with Windows 7 , I called Casio tech support and they said it won't work with 7.

Do any of you folks have a 640 and how do you like it?

Thanks
Mumbles

Reaction score
I just received my new Yamaha DGX-640 and I like it. The piano sound is very good IMHO. I'm not a music professional. I used to play piano and learned classical as a kid, on an acoustic piano. I later used a keyboard.

I'm still getting famliar with the DGX-640, but so far so good. I am satisfied with the weight and feel of the keys, the sound, but it all takes little getting used to.

I am trying to find some additional Styles, as I would like some very basic drum beats for ballads, pop, etc.

Reaction score
This is exactly the piano I bought in Nov 2010. I've been playing guitar and drums for 17 years and I decided to finally start learning piano. I wanted something with 88 weighted keys, and the graded action (higher notes have lighter keys) sold me on it (combined with the nice feel... though I didn't really know anything about piano feel when I bought it... it seemed right). The main piano sound is the most dynamic and is very nice. The rest of the sounds are passable sampled acoustic instruments (mostly) and a few synths, but don't seem to have quite the same level of detail/quality as the main piano samples which is the main selling point. Still, a lot of the other samples are very nice. I've used a few in recordings with varying amounts of success.

And I have used the Yamaha's MIDI over USB with Win 7 without problems.

Ask a Question