Yamaha NP-12 Piagerro WON'T Power up

Reaction score
Great Forum! I own a small NP-12 Keyboard, recently I connected the WRONG Power cord and I believe I shorted something, I get no "ON" light, and Keyboard does NOT power up....would I be able to check to see if my power input is working with a Multimeter? or maybe my jack outputs? The area where the Power Cable Plugs in, is a small piece that comes off fairly easy, how can I test this? Thanks...victor

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome, @daman77!

I don't know if a service manual would help, but ElektroTanya.com has a service manual for the NP-32. I know that isn't the model you have, but I don't see a service manual for the NP-12, so perhaps the NP-32 is similar enough for its service manual to be of use?

Reaction score
Welcome.

The power unit output is only 12v so just test it with a multi meter to see if it is functioning OK. Your meter will not self destruct if you put the prongs on the plug the wrong way round. Once you have 12v showing make a note of what the polarity is ie sleeve -ve and internal +ve or vica versa.

A well designed input circuitry should have protection in the case of incorrect input polarity but if this is the case with your keyboard I do not know.

I would try to reset the keyboard, far right key and then turn on the power to see if this action will get it working.

If you post an image of the power input it may help us, to advise further as I cannot visualise what you describe.

If not then its a Tech Service or new keyboard but given its initial cost getting it serviced is likely not to be cost effective.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys and advise! Ok, so I now have Power and the OUTPUT does work, But my Internal speakers are Not working???

Reaction score
I;ll try that later, but the HEADPHONES do work, this Keyboard only has 1 output jack...headphones or regular 1/4 inch cable... which do work

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You don't happen to have a 6.35mm-to-3.5mm adapter plugged into the PHONES jack, do you? Because if you do, that will prevent the speakers from working, as the keyboard will think that headphones are plugged in, even if you've unplugged the headphones from the adapter. You'll need to remove the adapter (if you're using one) when you want to use the internal speakers.

Ask a Question