Yamaha PSRWE400 sending midi only from the style section.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You might want to try a free software named MIDIOX to monitor your MIDI outputs on the Yamaha and see what exactly is being transmitted. You will be able to know in a flash whether or not the Yamaha is actually transmitting anything on the channels in question.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Have you considered that the problem may not be with the SR-18 receiving the notes but rather the Yamaha not transmitting them?

Gary ;)
Shouldn't be the keyboard as it sends notes to my DAW ok. Are you saying that the SR 18 should follow note changes using my method?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm saying if the Yamaha is outputting bass notes on channel 11 then the Alesis should be receiving and playing bass notes on Channel 11 if you've set it up that way.

Otherwise there is some sort of miscommunication problem.

On the other hand, if the Yamaha is sending chords and horns and god knows what else on channel 11 then the SR-18 would get confused and run out of voices quickly.

Are you absolutely certain that you've isolated the bass accompaniment to channel 11?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'm saying if the Yamaha is outputting bass notes on channel 11 then the Alesis should be receiving and playing bass notes on Channel 11 if you've set it up that way.

Otherwise there is some sort of miscommunication problem.

On the other hand, if the Yamaha is sending chords and horns and god knows what else on channel 11 then the SR-18 would get confused and run out of voices quickly.

Are you absolutely certain that you've isolated the bass accompaniment to channel 11?

Gary ;)
Thanks Gary, yes, using 11, as that is the channel Michael advised, and it is listed as the bass output channel. Maybe it is transmitting other stuff on that same channel also, I see what you are saying. Might just try the SR18 on the midi output from my DAW and see if it plays notes as wished for. That way, it will point the finger at the keyboard in a jiffy.Will advise later.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Have you considered that the problem may not be with the SR-18 receiving the notes but rather the Yamaha not transmitting them?

That's why I recommended using MIDI monitor software to verify which channel is being used, which types of MIDI events are being transmitted, etc. Start by making sure that everything's working as expected on the transmitting device, before concluding that there's a problem on the receiving device. :)

Reaction score
That's why I recommended using MIDI monitor software to verify which channel is being used, which types of MIDI events are being transmitted, etc. Start by making sure that everything's working as expected on the transmitting device, before concluding that there's a problem on the receiving device. :)
Downloaded Midiox, great little helper. The keyboard is sending out bass on chan 11, nothing else, so that's a good start. Still not getting midi signal to the SR18, so I am going to check my midi cable first thing in the morning, something is funny there.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Are you getting anything at all through the MIDI cable? I'm wondering if you've got it plugged in backwards. And is it a basic MIDI cable, or a MIDI-to-USB adapter cable?

Reaction score
Are you getting anything at all through the MIDI cable? I'm wondering if you've got it plugged in backwards. And is it a basic MIDI cable, or a MIDI-to-USB adapter cable?
It is just a 5 pin din cable, but I am wondering if it is wired correctly. I am a retired electronics tech, so will soon get to the bottom of it if it is the cable at fault.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, MIDI is a serial, daisy chained protocol.

OUT always connects to IN and Vice Versa.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
BTW, MIDI is a serial, daisy chained protocol.

OUT always connects to IN and Vice Versa.

Gary ;)
Thanks Gary, yes, I will do a pin to pin check on the cable used, if dodgy will make another cable up until I can get a new one.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You said you were a tech?

Check the outputs of the Yamaha with a scope if you have one as well.

It's not all that unusual for MIDI ports to blow out occasionally.

Then again if it was outputting drums to the SR-18 then your problem is not hardware related. This would indicate a working cable and ports.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi, yes, have a cro, but the midiox has displayed the bass coming out of channel 11 of the keyboard, so it must be all good there. I can get bass triggering from the keyboard to the SR18, but just a bass line that stays in the same key, with no chord changing. According to the Alesis forums, it cannot be done as I want, so maybe no joy for me.
Bill R. (Employee) 9 hours ago
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for posting.

I'm afraid it won't be possible to do this via MIDI. However, I'll be happy to submit this to my software team as a feature request for you.

In order to transpose the bass sounds on your SR18, you will need to press and hold the BASS button, then use the INC/DEC buttons or value dial to transpose up or down an octave.

I hope this helps!

Reaction score
Hi, yes, have a cro, but the midiox has displayed the bass coming out of channel 11 of the keyboard, so it must be all good there. I can get bass triggering from the keyboard to the SR18, but just a bass line that stays in the same key, with no chord changing. According to the Alesis forums, it cannot be done as I want, so maybe no joy for me.
Bill R. (Employee) 9 hours ago
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for posting.

I'm afraid it won't be possible to do this via MIDI. However, I'll be happy to submit this to my software team as a feature request for you.

In order to transpose the bass sounds on your SR18, you will need to press and hold the BASS button, then use the INC/DEC buttons or value dial to transpose up or down an octave.

I hope this helps!
Decided to give up on the SR18, and go for one of these vst players. Should solve everything. http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/v-machines/v-machine

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's a warning on Amazon.com about the v-machine.

https://www.amazon.com/SM-Pro-V-Machine-Desktop-Collections/dp/B012HM4D7E

December 22, 2016

Sm pro audio is out of business. This device needs to download a digital certificate from sm pro audio in order to play licensed (not free) vsts. Since sm pro audio is out of business that isnt going to happen. The instruments that are on the device as shipped play fine. If you can find an install wizard for an existing compatible vst then you may be able to get it to work. No more support or upgrades or install wizards will be comming out of sm pro audio. Oh, and the fan on this box is really loud.

This means it can play only free VSTi plugins. There's no way to install paid for plugins.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
There's a warning on Amazon.com about the v-machine.

https://www.amazon.com/SM-Pro-V-Machine-Desktop-Collections/dp/B012HM4D7E

This means it can play only free VSTi plugins. There's no way to install paid for plugins.

Gary ;)
Thanks Gary, will give that some thought, but as I only use the freebies, I should be ok. Mainly just want it for a bit off bottom end in the sound. I have a bass guitar freebie vst, from Ample Guitar, which has a great Fender P sound. If it plays that , all good. The SR18 accepts the clock, but just gives a constant bass line in whatever key that the particular pattern was last set at on the machine. Could not get it to follow chord changes from the keyboard. Just to confirm, were you able to get it to do chord changes via midi? Alesis say it is not a function that is on the machine. Many thanks. PS your music is very good, a credit to your talent. Geoff

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
geobee >>> I will create a transposed sequence in cakewalk later this week and test it out for ya.

In any case it sounds really weird to me that it should behave that way at all.

It really should behave as nothing more or less than a standard MIDI tone generator.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just tested it out.

I patched my Kurzweil PC3K8 directly to the Alesis SR18, set both units to Channel 7 and turned MIDI Local OFF on the PC3K8.

The Alesis responded to every chromatic note between A1 and C5 without a hitch.

Like I said earlier, the Alesis is simply a very limited Bass and Drums MIDI Tone Generator.

Likewise I created a MIDI sequence in Cakewalk and ran a few scales. Every note responded without a hitch.

Furthermore, it responds to chords up to 5 notes without a hitch.

I dunno what they're telling you over at the Alesis forums, but to me it's functioning perfectly as a MIDI bass synthesizer.

Gary ;)

EDIT >>> One thing you may want to check is whether or not you have accidentally muted the Bass channel on the Alesis. You can selectively mute any of the voices on this unit with the panel controls.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Gary, I'm not sure, but I think he wants to use the internal bass line patterns which are available on the SR18 (assuming the SR18 has those), but control the key for the bass line using external MIDI events-- not send an external bass line pattern to the SR18, which as you've said should just play whatever is received.

If I've got it right and the SR18 does have built-in bass line patterns and percussion patterns, one possibility might be to play the desired bass line pattern on the SR18 and send it to the computer to record the MIDI in a DAW, then export the recorded MIDI track to a MIDI file, then use the MIDI file to create a Yamaha style file that can be loaded into the PSR-EW400. That way the PSR-EW400 can send the pattern-- complete with key changes-- to the SR18 so the bass line can play using the SR18's bass sound. That might be a little bit of work, but it should be doable.

Ask a Question