Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver not recognizing the P-145

Reaction score
I've just downloaded the software straight from the webpage

So, I should be the correct software, right?
Capture.PNG

Still, I cannot get it to find the device.

(i've installed using the recomendations on the website - Unplugging everything except mouse and keyboard, installing and then pluging the piano etc..)

Anyone have any idea? Spent my whole morning on this and nothing

Thanks!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
With the Steinberg driver, I think you're supposed to install the driver WITHOUT having the keyboard or any other MIDI/audio USB devices attached. (The instructions actually say ALL USB devices except your mouse and computer keyboard.)

After installing the driver, THEN you should be able to connect the P-145 to your computer.

If the driver still doesn't recognize the keyboard after that, check to see if any other ASIO drivers are installed on the computer-- including (I think) ASIO4ALL-- as I think having other ASIO drivers installed can interfere with the Steinberg driver. Try uninstalling all ASIO drivers and then reinstalling just the Steinberg driver.

Also, check your computer's specifications to verify that they meet or exceed the driver's minimum hardware requirements. I know the standard (non-ASIO) Yamaha USB MIDI driver has a poorly-advertised (meaning not very clearly stated in the instructions) requirement with regard to its minimum CPU speed of 1.4 GHz, and a lot of Windows laptops have base CPU speeds which are slightly below that minimum required speed, which is probably why so many people have trouble getting the Yamaha USB MIDI driver to recognize non-audio-USB keyboards. If you're using a laptop and it has a base CPU speed of only 1 GHz-- even if it's advertised as being able to attain much faster CPU speeds through "boosting"-- then the CPU might be too slow. The hardware requirements are specified in the Release Notes, and for the Windows Release Notes it says 2 GHz:

Reaction score
Ah ok, It might be because I'm also using a Scarlett Interface for my guitar. And it comes with the Focusrite ASIO on it.
I'll try removing it and see if it still works

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Ah ok, It might be because I'm also using a Scarlett Interface for my guitar. And it comes with the Focusrite ASIO on it.
I'll try removing it and see if it still works

I don't know whether that would specifically interfere with the Steinberg driver being able to recognize your keyboard, but I know from personal experience that other ASIO drivers can interfere with the Steinberg driver as far as its audio processing-- presumably due to conflicts of some kind. And since Steinberg created the ASIO standard in the first place, hopefully their ASIO driver should be the only one you need.

Reaction score
Yeah, That didn't worked out.
The computer's specifications should definitely meet the requirements as well, so it should't be the problem.
Regarding the instalation process, yes, that's what I meant haha, I've restarted the PC with the mouse and keyboard plugged in only, no audio devices or the Piano. Only after installing I've plugged back in the piano and turned it on and still nothing.
Would it be possible to use any other MIDI driver appart from the Steinberg?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You could try installing the Yamaha USB MIDI driver, but it uses the opposite installation steps-- connect and turn on the keyboard first, then install the driver. It won't be able to handle the USB audio, but you could use your other ASIO driver for that.

Addendum: Actually, you might not even need to install the Yamaha USB MIDI driver, as the keyboard might be able to send and receive USB MIDI without needing a driver.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Another possibility might be that there's no problem with the driver at all. The problem might be with the USB cable. Make sure it's a USB 2 cable, not a USB 3 cable, and make sure the cable isn't over 3 meters in length.

Reaction score
I had tried that Yamaha USB MIDI driver as well, but it didn't recognized the piano during the installation.
So, yes. It could definitely be the cable. Mine is 6M long, (i thought the keyboard would be sitting far away from the PC). I'll have a run to the store later and see if ecan get a shorter one.

Ask a Question