YPG-635 key hammer question.

Reaction score
My YPG-635 had a couple of keys that weren't sounding, so I figured I would take it apart and troubleshoot. I found damaged traces on LOW key CB. Repaired and works fine. I took the key bed completely apart for cleaning Key bed is all over my kitchen island. I took out all the hammers when doing the cleaning and lubing, not realizing that they were different. I have a chart from the service manual that shows 4 different weights for different parts of the keyboard. W1, W2,W3 and W4. Problem is, my keys are all of those, but have a dash number after the letter, like W-8, W-0, etc.. Have to figure out what the dash numbers are. I actually have a couple that are duplicates, like W-1. Same with the black keys, B1-9 etc.. Baffling. ARRRGGGHHH!
Did find the problem though with not playing correctly. 2 circuit board traces were bad, just used very thin wire and jumpered.
Wondering if any Yamaha techs might know the hammer numbering for this keyboard, or what the dash numbers are.
TIA for ANY input on this.
Stay safe

Reaction score
My YPG-635 had a couple of keys that weren't sounding, so I figured I would take it apart and troubleshoot. I found damaged traces on LOW key CB. Repaired and works fine. I took the key bed completely apart for cleaning Key bed is all over my kitchen island. I took out all the hammers when doing the cleaning and lubing, not realizing that they were different. I have a chart from the service manual that shows 4 different weights for different parts of the keyboard. W1, W2,W3 and W4. Problem is, my keys are all of those, but have a dash number after the letter, like W-8, W-0, etc.. Have to figure out what the dash numbers are. I actually have a couple that are duplicates, like W-1. Same with the black keys, B1-9 etc.. Baffling. ARRRGGGHHH!
Did find the problem though with not playing correctly. 2 circuit board traces were bad, just used very thin wire and jumpered.
Wondering if any Yamaha techs might know the hammer numbering for this keyboard, or what the dash numbers are.
TIA for ANY input on this.
Stay safe
20220310_183225.jpg
20220310_183248.jpg
20220310_183308.jpg
20220310_183532.jpg
20220310_183848.jpg
20220310_184234.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looking at the images you should have 8 different weights, 4 for white keys and 4 for black.

W-0 probably refers to the first few notes which are part of octave 0, then octave 1 up to the last few notes being part of octave 8.

The weights will be arranged heaviest left getting lighter by lighter to the right.

Reaction score
Looking at the images you should have 8 different weights, 4 for white keys and 4 for black.

W-0 probably refers to the first few notes which are part of octave 0, then octave 1 up to the last few notes being part of octave 8.

The weights will be arranged heaviest left getting lighter by lighter to the right.
Thank you Biggles. Just pulled all of the hammers back out to check them. They don't match the service manual. There are only W1, W2, B1 and B2 hammers (stamped on the sides. There are multiples of each hammer (say 3 W1-04). The weight ends are different shapes for each hammer in each group). Really hard to explain. I don't know why no W3, W4, B3 and B4 hammers. Getting crazier by the minute. I was an aircraft mechanic for 42 years, and sure know how to read service manuals, but this one has me stumped. Was in chat with Yamaha tech, and they won't even talk to you if self repair. CRAP.
Just noted you are in UK. You guys doing ok there???

Last edited:
Reaction score
Totally different tack.

Just noticed the image you use above your user name, what aircraft are you sat in.

I am in a Piper Warrior that many years ago I flew into an Air Show at Barton near Manchester with my mate.

Reaction score
Totally different tack.

Just noticed the image you use above your user name, what aircraft are you sat in.

I am in a Piper Warrior that many years ago I flew into an Air Show at Barton near Manchester with my mate.
Hi Biggles. I was a A&P mechanic for 42 years. Started on B-52s with Boeing, then to TWA until they were bought out by American. I retired 6 years ago. That picture was taken in a MD-80. We had just changed an engine, and had to take the airplane to mid field for high power run, leak check, and trim. Picture was taken my my right seat guy..

Reaction score
Well, my YPG-635 is still all over my kitchen island and family room entertainment center. Still can't make heads or tails out of this issue.
I figured I would try my hand at making a Youtube video with my cell phone, and see if it helps. My first, and 8 minutes long. No laughing.... LOL
HELLLLLPPP!...

Reaction score
Have you kept the actual keys in the order Left to Right as they were when originally fitted?

If you did then it is surely just a case of sorting the hammers correctly.

Remember the action of the YPG is graded so the keys should be heavier at the lower end and lighter at the upper end of the keybed.

Looking at a schematic of the action indicates that the hammers should be graduated in their weight or in batches.

If you do not get a response to your post from a Tech, I would be tempted to build a test rig and buy a small set of precision scales.

Support the hammer at its normal pivot point or as close to it as possible and measure the indicated weight on the scales at a specific distance from the pivot point. Repeat for each weight, you will then be able to layout the hammers in their weight order but will then have to sort out white from black

Ask a Question