Casio WK-8000 play specific sound

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I need a little help. I have a Casio WK-8000. Laptop with Windows Vista. My notation program is (Finales) Printmusic. When I connect my computer to the keyboard, I want to hear the "orchestral trumpet"-sound from the keyboard. I have found out how to get sounds out of the keyboard, but not that particular sound. Hope someone could help me on this one. Do I need another program, or could Finale team help me?

The Y_man

Reaction score
Oh right, sorry I think I misunderstood your question initially.

I am not sure that Finale let's you choose anything other than GM instruments - not that I have used it much. Let's see if others know. I suspect it would be a control command that need to be sent to the keyboard from finale.

The Y-man

The Y_man

Reaction score
Ok, I think I have worked this out.

I use Finale 2003 - so I think you'll have similar functions.

In Finale 2003, I do the following:

1. open the song
2. enable the MIDI tools
3. Go to Window > Instrument List
4. Highlight the Prog for the Trumpet - which is probably set to 56 currently
5. Click "Edit Instrument"
6. Change the Patch to Bank Select 0 (Which correspond to the Bank-MSB on your WK8000 Appendix chart) http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/PX_Appendix.pdf
7. Set the Bank Select 0 to 54. Set the program change to 57 (not 56 - as Casio seems to have a +1 offset.)

That last bit had me baffled - until I realised the software won't accept program select 0 - i.e. what appears as 0 under program change in the appendix actually needs to be 1 in Finale.

Hope that works for you.

The Y-man

Reaction score
Excellent, yes it worked very well. Thank you sooo much Y-man! I am indescribeably grateful. If you need some help concerning notation issues, I would be happy to assist you

Ask a Question