CD to USB

Reaction score
Mine is the 2017 Hyundai Tucson and there is absolutely no CD slot. .Ted.

I have a touch screen.

I just checked yesterday as well before I began my ripping and burning process . . I do NOT have a SD slot. I do have a USB slot and an AUX hole ( for a round pin)
Luckily I did not waste time burning onto SD. I have started my library now on USB . A Toshiba 16 gb. (Cheap @ $5)
But I have encountered some problems.
I have copied onto my USB stick about 6 whole CD's different artists.
When I play back there is no catalogue of the Artist. I just have a list of the songs in numerical or alphabetical order.
In the numerical order I have 6 no 1's and 6 no. 2's etc. .
If I keep going at this rate I will have a hundred no 1's and a hundred no. 2's etc.

What is going wrong?

Do I need to format and program somehow? Shall I delete all and start again?

btw . I am using Windows Media Player for my ripping.

Thanks ray
How do I put this to an Aussie ?

Ray, put down your godamm tinnie, put a thick steak on the barbie then sit down and read my original response.

Your rip is not reading the data, that is why you need to learn how to use the mp3tag software.

MP3 rips will be fine for the car, the rips that Michael quotes are superb quality but the huge file size of them will not give you many ripped albums on your memory stick

If you still cannot work it out I will put a video tutorial together and post it on Youtube, but as we have the Grandkids coming tomorrow to stay it will take me a while before I can get a tutorial sorted.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here is my workflow for ripping CDs.

Each of the two towers on the left holds 448 CDs. They are pretty much fully pouplated. In the past two days I've managed to rip 3/4 of one face of one column.

The third tower on the right only holds audio on the facing side. The side turned away holds only data CDs and DVD's.

The program I am using, called Asunder, automatically detects when a CD is inserted in the drive.

It then does a Database lookup on musicabrainz.org and offers me a choice of albums if there are multiple fits or simply populates the list if only one release fits the bill.

Then I do a quick check on the filenames for illegal characters. I delete any quotes, ampersands, periods or commas or slashes or question marks if I see them and then finally I hit the rip button.

It creates the folder on the right which is a temporary folder where I can easily see if there are any conflicts, and then finally I move the folder to the folder on the left which is named after the artist.

The process takes about 10 to 15 minutes per disc and I am constantly returning to the computer to swap disks and perform the housekeeping tasks.

All in all it's reasonably efficient but I can already hear the cheap external CDROM drive straining with vibration on some of the less perfectly centered discs.

rip-screenshot.jpg

cd-towers-20180401T143048-0001.JPG

I hope this helps.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Gary, what will you do with all of those CDs you've already ripped? You'll be sending them to me, right? ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry Mike.. :(

For legal reasons I must retain possession of the physical disks else I shall be in violation of the DMCA (nudge nudge wink wink ;) )

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
*sigh* Not to mention all those customs tariffs and international shipping whatnots. :(

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Of course if I *ahem* were to accidentally post the entire MP3 collection as a "public" file on my google drive by mistake, and some brilliant hacker were to guess my google password *cough*1234*cough* not a jury in the land would convict me :D :D :D

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You do know that "*cough*1234*cough*" is one of the two most common passwords, don't you, second only to "*sneeze*ABCD*sneeze*"?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Ray

Sorry, I have just re-read your post and noticed the last sentance,

Us...... intelligent ...... !!!!
. . And you responded . . . :D
Actually I am privileged to have intelligent friends
How do I put this to an Aussie ?

Ray, put down your godamm tinnie, put a thick steak on the barbie then sit down and read my original response.

Us Aussie beer swigging yobbo's are all the same it seems according to the generalisation of the Brits!
But think about this . . Who are our forefathers?:rolleyes:

LOL

Seriously now, I am reading through the FIRST response as you suggested Col. Also Gary's and SeaGt's suggestions! I am overwhelmed and need to gather my thoughts and put down the tinny!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone and please bear with me, I am not a computer savy person. This will take me some time.

ray

Reaction score
.....But think about this . . Who are our forefathers?:rolleyes:

That one is easy, it breaks down into two camps:-

1) petty thieves, larcenists, down and outs, undesirables, bread steelers, apple rustlers, those even worst ended up on public display in the UK stretching a rope or in the case of Burke as in Burke and Hare the notorious Edinburgh murderers, Burkes skeleton is on display in the Museum there and his skin was tanned and made into a bag that is also still on display.

2) overseer thugs who exploit the unfortunate for their own ends.

Sadly in this world 2) still have all the power.

Reaction score
BTW, for thumb drives I recommend these ones by Sandisk in the appropriate size.

https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-Ultra-SDCZ43-128G-GAM46-Newest-Version/dp/B01BGTG2A0/

They barely stick out at all so there's far less chance of accidentally snapping it off if you accidentally brush against it.

Gary ;)
Second these that Gary quotes.

I have a couple and one is in the back of my Korg permanently, they are sort of perfect for keyboard use.

I say sort of in that they do operate hot, they are so compact there is insufficient size in them for a decent heat sink, so having backups is essential.

Gary quotes 128Gb, do check your car manual if you are considering one this size as not all cars support this size of memory device.

Do backup all your files to portable hard drives.

I have two small USB powered 2Tb hard drives, all the folders containing my files, music, images etc which are in the MyDocuments folder, are copied to each of the portable hard drives initially, therefatet I use a free piece of software called FreeFileSync that copies all the changes to the folders and files in the MyDocuments folder from Laptop to the USB drives in turn.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
What's wrong with the windows 10 default progam?
Over the years I ripped many an album to make copy cd's. They are all there. They have been automatcally rolled over a few times each time I have upgraded my PC's.
They are all in album / artist order. Even the new ones i ripped are in album / artist order and all tracks present. I can select s track to play or a whole lot at once (play list).
The problem is not in the ripping.
The problem is in the upload to the USB.
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You just explained your own problem.

The WMP program doesn't create directories or subdirectories and may not even insert the proper tag info.

Also I dunno what bit rate it records at but it may only be encoding at 160 bps which is a really crappy quality MP3.

It also may have a problem with DRM and protected discs and ripping from burned CDs.

i can think of dozens of ways that Micro$haft could sabotage their own software and generally speaking, third party solutions are usually the best.

I'd suggest at least trying the program I linked before you dismiss it.

And finally, you shouldn't be ripping directly to a thumb drive. The data speeds of those drives will slow down your rips by at least a factor of two if not more.

You should be ripping to a dedicated directory on your hard drive and THEN copy it over to the thumb drive once you're done.

That's my $0.02

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ray
There is not a lot wrong with using Windows media player to rip a CD.

With Media Player you can set the rip data rate up from its default for better quality have it save to your MyMusic or Music folder on your hard drive.

The problem with Windows or rather the CD is that when you use MP3TAG to view the ripped CD files you can find that the data is inconsistent, it is why you have to use a program like this to check that all the data is consistent, also you will find that there will be two columns one giving the titles of the songs and another also giving the titles of the songs but this one can just list the track number.

If say a 12 song CD was of Smokey Robinson and 12 guests duetting with him then each song would have him and one of the twelve guests, hence it could display wrong in the car.

Hence why errors are shown in the car and it being vital you check each ripped album.

I am assuming that all the ripped CDs are in a specific folder such as MyMusic and inside this folder there is another folder with the artist/band name and inside each of these folders there is a folder specific to an album (CD)

As for copying to the USB stick, it is a case of maintaining this folder structure, using Windows/File Explorer go into the MyMusic folder and select each artist/band folder you want to include, then copy and paste to the USB

Edit
Gary and I overlapped posting.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One other factor about ripping directly to a flash drive.

Flash drives have a limited lifespan of disk writes before they fail.

When you rip and encode a CD the process undertakes two parts.

First it rips a WAV file directly off the CD and writes it to disc.

Secondly it encodes the WAV file as an MP3 and writes that to the disc.

Finally it deletes the WAV file entirely leaving only the MP3 on the drive.

You are effectively doubling the usage of the flash drive and halving it's lifespan with the double writes and erasures. You are also increasing the time it takes to complete a rip since all of that disc thrashing is squeezed thru the USB port at flash memory speeds.

Best method is to rip to directories and subdirectories on the hard drive and then simply copy and paste the top directory to the flash drive.

This is of course, dependent on what sort of directory structure your player is capable of dealing with.

Most modern dedicated hardware MP3 Players can handle a directory structure 8 layers deep, but I have seen some crappy ones that require all the files be placed in the root directory.

I have no solution for the crappy ones except to scrap them and buy something better.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I am now bogged down with so much advice and suggestions it is all too much. Its all overpowering for me and don't have the time or patience.

I have decided to scrap the whole idea of copying to memory stick. I will just listen to the radio whilst driving. My CD collection can be ripped onto my computer hard drive and this works fine. I will do this over time.

Thanks for all the help. I am not ungrateful quite the opposite you guys went to great effort explaining it all to me but I did originally ask for a simple outcome. This is not simple for me. I have other priorities.

Cheers ray

Ask a Question