CD to USB

Reaction score
The practice of ripping a CD and checking the validity of the rip is not a simple process if you want it error free as you have found out.

If you want to continue with ripping and do not follow the advice of checking the rip then you will still have problems with playback when in the car.

There is no way to simplify the process.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've found the best solution to the protected CD problem is to use a windows Shareware called ISObuster.

You have to physically rip the WAV files for each track then convert and tag manually afterwards with a different program.

It does run great under WINE in Linux though so it's now my GoTo for protected CDs.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
All of the above responses will be filed away for safe keeping and I will revert back to this worldly advice at a later date.
As I said . . not a present priority anymore.
Cheers ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
As of this moment I have ripped about 180 CDs and am currently ripping another half dozen before I call it a day.

I'm managing a respectable 50 discs a day.

Tomorrow I have to take the day to attend to personal matters.,

Hopefully I get them all done in 4 to 6 weeks total allowing for breaks in between.

Right now I am Ripping Seventh Wave's Psi Fi and Things to Come.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary
You are a man on a mission!

I have a short stack of six new CDs that I have been trying to rip for the last two months, somehow there is always something else to do.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Let's face it. I have over ten thousand beautiful works of music and no way to play them unless I stay in my living room.

I am indeed on a mission.

I want my collection to come with me wherever the hell it pleases me to take it :D

Also this is the last time cardboard sleeve CDs risk being scratched by the cheapo cardboard.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I would not say that I am OCD but my full digital Music collection is now stored:-

1 On my main PC

2 On my Laptop

3 On my Wifes iMac

4 On a USB hard drive

5 On a second USB hard drive

6 On my NAS drive

7 On the SD card in my car

8 On a backup SD card in the car

9 On a single large USB memory stick

Do you think I have enough latency?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think buying all that storage put you in the poorhouse :D :D :D

(At least it's doing it to me. 128 GB thumb drives ain't cheap :p )

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thumb drives, ya talkin ta me about thumb drives .... said in my best Robert de Nero Taxi Driver accent.

Current stock of thumb drives

250Gb 1 off
128Gb 3 off
64Gb 2 off
32Gb 4 off
16Gb 6 off
Plus a few 4, 2, 1Gb I do not use.

The 250 has my Music and Digital Images
One 128 is in the back of my Korg PA the other is my day to day use one the third I think I have lost to my Daughter
64 and 32 has my Family History research and an interactive database that I am putting together for family members to have
The 16 Gb are used in my Computing class that I teach where my students have a standard set of files that they copy and paste from the drives to their laptops.

A guy cannot have enough thumb drives

And please don't get me started on SD cards!!!!!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Currently I have about 320 CDs ripped after pretty much a solid week of ripping.

All of my prog rock CDs have been ripped and now I'm working on my 60's and 70's pop and rock collection.

In an 8 hour period I can usually manage about 50 discs unless I hit too many weird ones with either protection or illegal filenames that need editing.

At this rate, I may be done after only a month :D

I've also picked up three 250 Gig USB HDDs and three USB 128 Gig Thumb Drives to back them up to.

Not to mention my standard backups of all my computers to four 1 terabyte Verbatim Titan USB drives.

Once the ripping is done, the collection will be transferred to all of my computers and full clonezilla backups performed immediately.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm ripping at 224 Kbps VBR MP3s.

I'm not crazy enough to rip them all as FLAC :D

I should be able to squeeze them all in under 128 Gigs.

224 Kbps is more than adequate for my home stereo and my ancient, abused eardrums.

I seriously doubt I'll ever need more fidelity than I'm ripping at now. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I tend to use 256 for pop/folk/rock and 320 for classical.

FLAC is a good compromise and even with ears as old as ours there is a substantial difference in the sound quality even through my cars stereo system between mo3 and FLAC.

Its a mind numbing task to rip a collection but one thing you should find is that it will revive interest in some of the music on the CDs that have been stuck on your storage for years.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Tell me about it. Everything from Grand Funk Railroad, 10cc and Black Sabbath to Emerson Lake and Palmer and Passport and Weather Report.

Playing back all these great oldies has put me firmly into my second childhood.

Or is it my third?

Or my first? :D

BTW, my ripper doesn't have a 256 option. It goes straight from 224 to 320. For me 320 is definitely overkill.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
OMG

ELP, did exactly the same for me.

Whilst I have the 10cc album they did not rekindle interest in them.

Now ripping Led Zepplin II was another matter and led to about 6 new CD buys and tickets for a Robert Plant concert where by the way the fiddle player on his current tour is a Brit folk fiddle player/singer called Seth Lakeman, check his music out.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Two weeks since I've started and according to program logs I've ripped 456 CDs

Not finished with the first tower though. There were quite a few double and triple CD sets in that tower.

Another 25 to 30 to go before I finish the first tower.

My MP3 collection is starting to sound absolutely amazing :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Finished today!!!

Took me about 6 weeks of pretty intense sessions to rip 14,714 songs!!! 99.3 GB of muzak!!! It all fits very nicely on a 128 GB Sandisk Thumb Drive.

Now I can attend to other things I've been letting slide...

I'm going to relax this weekend and next week I'm going to start working on my music again and give some special attention to the Zoom AR-96 and see how well it integrates into my MIDI setup.

Hopefully it will be a fun summer with all my tunes in a portable format :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To be honest, I think I could start my own netradio station with a prog rock/alternative rock theme already. :)

And I have another dozen or so CDs on the way to fill in some gaps I noticed in my collection while doing these rips.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
7 more CDs showed up in today's mail. Mindi Abair, Blues Traveler, Jaco Pastorius, Grace Potter and Elton John.

Patching up the holes in my collection :)

Still on their Way: NIN live album, 2 discs by RH Factor, David Bowie's Let's Dance, Donovan's Open Road, A couple of Snarky Puppy CDs and Krokus' Headhunter CD and Best of albums by Madonna and Tina Turner.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question