Do I need an Audio Interface?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I haven't been on here for a while. I have bought some Focal Shape 65 monitor speakers which I will be using with my Korg Nautilus when it arrives soon. I would love to be able to easily play music from my computer/phone or even record player through the monitors. What's the best way to do this? do I need to buy an audio interface or something else?. I would like to have something that would accommodate my keyboard (and a second in the near future) and other audio inputs... via Bluetooth too would be nice!

Thank you for your help!

Chris

Reaction score
A Mixer would be a good addition.

I use a Behringer which is reasonably priced and has worked well for me, probably about $120 US.

I fed two keyboards, a guitar, a mike and audio from my Laptop/mobile into mine, outputs were to the Monitors plus an audio par that I could connect up to my Laptop/PC as necessary.

Given the cost of your Korg if I were you I would spend a bit more on the mixer than I did and get one of better quality, check out the Yamaha range, they get very good reviews plus members here have them.

Reaction score
A Mixer would be a good addition.

I use a Behringer which is reasonably priced and has worked well for me, probably about $120 US.

I fed two keyboards, a guitar, a mike and audio from my Laptop/mobile into mine, outputs were to the Monitors plus an audio par that I could connect up to my Laptop/PC as necessary.

Given the cost of your Korg if I were you I would spend a bit more on the mixer than I did and get one of better quality, check out the Yamaha range, they get very good reviews plus members here have them.
Thank you, Biggles. I did once own a mixer but not sure if there are mixers that integrate Bluetooth too?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Plus 1 for the mixer recommendation.

Any of the smaller Behringers will do from 5 to 10 channels, depending on how creative you might be with future hookups.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You know something? The Behringers are cheap and nasty but they do the job, but they do have a nasty habit of dying after a few years.

Seeing as you have a Nautilus and premium monitors, I'll amend my recommendation and suggest instead that you buy Yamaha instead. I do despise Yamaha with a passion, but their mixers are top quality and worth the investment.

I went thru a Behringer 8 channel, 10 channel and 12 channel over the years and after the 12 died on me I went with a Yamaha MG16Xu.

It has built in USB capabilities and they do have smaller models available.

The USB is useless to me since in typical Yamaha fashion it's proprietary and they "don't DO Linux drivers." :p

But the wired connections have been rock solid for the last 5 years.

Yamaha manufactures in Japan with Japanese components and they DO make a difference.

I've experimented with Bluetooth in the past. The latency will drive you insane. Stick with wired connections. Your recordings will love you for it. :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Topman, Gary. Thank you for the info. I got in a right state a while back as the only room we really had was the sunroom for my keyboards. That's fine in the winter/spring when you get into the summer and realize that a non-air-conditioned room in Phoenix in the summer is just crazy hot not only for me but my fragile and expensive electronics too... Because of that, I decided to sell what I had and just play the organ that I have in the family room.

Well, that lasted a while, and then, AGAIN I realized that I miss my keyboards and can't live without them lol. I have now moved a lot of things from the office into the sunroom and have been able to make some nice space in the office for my set-up. I have just bought a pair of Focal Shape 65's that I heard at my local Guitar City and was just blown away with them so now I'm waiting on the Nautilus 88.

Happy days are here again lol

Ask a Question