Help me to choose a keyboard

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post. I'm from bangalore, India.

Currently I own Yamaha PSR 510 @ home, playing it for more than 10 yrs. I play PSR 2100 @ church in the weekends. I'm planning to buy a keyboard for myself which I would use it for Church mass, live performance, composition/sequencing, recording(in future, planning to set-up a home studio)

Features I'd need on my keyboard would be,

- Style (Accompaniment)
- Style Creator (To create/edit styles, as some of the western styles would not match the regional songs)
- Decent sounds/voices (Strings, piano, Sax, bass)
- More drum-kits (compared to PSR 2100)

After an extensive search, I came to know that the Arranger keyboards would work for me(may be wrong). But I was not much interested in Yamaha Keyboards but may be I've settle down with one of it, if there's no other choice.

I'm very much interested in Korg M50. But I came to know that it doesn't have pre-loaded styles(accompaniment) which would respond to my chord change(Please confirm)

If thats the case I'm planning to settle down with one of these,

Roland GW8 version 2
Korg PA 50sd
Yamaha s710

Sorry for the lengthy post, Please help me in buying one.

My budget is 50k (~ $1000)

Thanks,
Melorith

Reaction score
Hi.

I think you need a some arrange keyboards. Pa 500 would be appropriate,but a little beyond your budget.
M50 could be a good choice although not an arranger keyboard. But have two arpeggiator and drum track wich can generate a groove in your real time play. Very important for new music creation and development. Also all your song can be prepared in seq mode or your midifile can be loaded in the same way.

Good luck in your choice.
Dan

Reaction score
Hi,

I think I can help you answer some question... ( if you still needs it... )
I own a yamaha psr 3k, and I just got korg m3.

for your query, you definitely require an arranger keyboard. korg m50 and or korg m3 is not for you.

korg m50, and m3 are classified as synth / workstation keyboard, which you possibly don't really want much of the synth sounds since you are playing for church. it does not have things like "intro, ending or break" for drum tracks that are available in an arranger keyboard like psr does. though it does have KARMA engine which undoubtly can be an arpeggiator and drum tracks, but this is different.

the usefulness in a workstation keyboard are in the sequencing ability. to me it's so much easier to sequence something in my m3, than in psr-3k

Good luck with your hunt.

~ Leo

Ask a Question