Juno DS88 Sympathetic Resonance effect?

Reaction score
I'm a novice at setting up sounds. Some time back I made performances on my Juno DS88, one with the feature GrandDS piano patch and strings. Use it all the time, with the slider to bring the parts up and down, and the filter knob to make it sound like a pad. But I digress. I have noticed that in the perf, even with the strings all the way down the piano seems to sound fuller somehow. I didn't do anything with perf effects, at least not intentionally. Yesterday I finally found the gumption to look in those menus and found two effects on the perf; I think they apply to the whole perf. One is EQ, a bit of bass boost. The other is "78:Sympathetic Resonance". What is that? I mean, I know what it is in an acoustic sense, and I know there are keyboards that feature string sympathetic resonance, but I don't think the Juno has that. Do you guys know about this effect?

Thanks! Jeremy

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Check that Parameter Guide I mentioned in your other thread. On page 57 it mentions this effect, which is exactly what you suspected it is.

I don't know why manufacturers don't include all of the really important information in the box anymore-- well, I do know, because they're trying to save trees, reduce paper usage, and save on printing costs, not necessarily in that order of importance-- but one thing I highly recommend is going to the websites for all of your keyboards and downloading every document and manual that's available, even the ones that you already have in printed form. It's so much easier to find specific information in a manual when you can search for a particular word or phrase.

Reaction score
Cool, I'll check it out, thanks Gruff!
But I wonder why that parameter isn't ON by default in the feature piano patch?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Now that is a question not even the technical writers of the manuals probably know the answer to; instead, you'll have to ask the guys who designed the preset patches. :D

Reaction score
78 Sympathetic Resonance.

The function is in the name and all us old codgers who have a vinyl collection know of it.

Vinyl (and especially its precursors) operate at various revolutions per minute with LPs at 33 1/3 rpm and singles at 45 rpm, well before these came to prominence there were large LPish in size records that were played at 78 rev per min.

Recording onto “vinyl” presents artefact issues of all kinds and one in particular was poor bass response and they had to introduce recording techniques to offset the limitations of the recording medium.

Hence my take on the effect is that it is to replicate the sound of the records of the period from the twenties to the mid fifties.

Reaction score
OK, Gruff wins the prize! I found what you said, here is some of the info from the Parameter Guide p57:

“78: SYMPATHETIC RESO
On an acoustic piano, holding down the damper pedal allows other strings to resonate in sympathy with the notes you play, creating rich and spacious resonances. This effect simulates these sympathetic resonances.

Parameter Value Explanation
Depth # 0–127 Depth of the effect
Damper # 0–127 Depth to which the damper pedal is pressed (controls the resonant sound)
Lid 1–6 This simulates the actual changes in sound that occur when the lid of a grand piano is set at different heights.
Level 0–127 Output level”

There are other parameters as well.

SO…when I look in the MFX settings for Grand Pno DS (feature/default patch), I don’t see this “on”. Why on earth would that be? Could a similar effect be “built in” to the patch? When I put it in the Perf, the Juno put that effect on it, which I think ‘splains why that patch sounds just a bit “bigger” in the Perf. I believe this effect is not a true String Reso feature, but a sort of specialized reverb, so maybe that’s why it’s not on by default. Weird.

Have any Junites messed with this? I’m trying to get a handle on the relationship between the Depth and the Damper settings. I played with it and it’s a little hard to tell sometimes. The default settings for those that it applied to the Performance containing the same patch were 64, 20, with the Lid on 5. Lid is a pretty cool feature too, its effects are very obvious.

Finally, Level…would that only be the volume of the effect added back into the master sound mix?

Thanks!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
All that sounds correct to me, because that's how effects usually work-- but I'm just guessing. Is there any sort of glossary or terminology guide in the document that explains what "Output Level" represents?

As far as your initial question, there's no telling why the default settings for the preset voice don't have the effect turned on, but I think sometimes the preset voices will be relatively "effects free," and maybe have parameters such as attack/delay or cutoff/resonance set to their "average" values, and then it's up to each user to tweak the parameter settings and effects to get the voice to their liking. That is, the presets are as close to "plain vanilla" as possible, and you have to add chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, cherries, chopped nuts, and/or candy sprinkles to suit your own tastes. :)

Reaction score
Thanks again Gruff. This is a cool feature / effect. Not precisely "sympathetic resonance", but "expands" the sound similarly. Worth playing with.

Ask a Question